Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
IDrive Music Collection glitch

I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and what the solution might be.

When selecting "music collection" as the entertainment source, it used to automatically bring me to a list of albums by album title at the main directory level. Now the following two pictures are what it looks like when I first go to the main "music collection" page, and what it looks like once I select a folder. It refers to each album as "Ripped X" where X is presumably the order in which the albums were ripped. Here is the odd part....Once I select a Ripped folder, the information still includes song titles, artist and album name, just not at the main directory level, and it still refers to the album as "Ripped X" at the upper banner (see second pic).

It only shows me a list of albums by album name if I go into "music search", then select "album". That adds a few extra steps and makes it much more difficult to quickly switch to a new album while driving. I first noticed this on my last drive, and had never seen albums referred to this way before.
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I don't have Nav/iDrive on my 1M, but I did have it on my (now gone) 2018 M2. I rather detested it, but then, that's just me.

I'm wondering what "Music Collection" as a source is in this context? I know that when I put a thumb drive full of MP3s into my M2 the first time, it automatically downloaded part of the contents to some sort of hard drive within the car, something I did not expect and did not like. I don't know if 1Ms with Nav/iDrive also have that functionality, or does this "My Collection" refer to a thumb drive or other USB drive containing songs?

If you are dealing with internal electronics, well, BMW was never known for its internal electronics and after 10 years whatever is in there could certainly have failed. If it's a USB source, then the USB drive or source could have become corrupted. An alternative possibility would be that there is a setting either accessible through iDrive or through an application like Carly, for coding with an adapter, that has become changed in some way to display your media in this fashion. If so, it could be changed back either through iDrive settings or Carly or other coding application.

Good luck.
      05-24-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

I'm wondering what "Music Collection" as a source is in this context? I know that when I put a thumb drive full of MP3s into my M2 the first time, it automatically downloaded part of the contents to some sort of hard drive within the car, something I did not expect and did not like. I don't know if 1Ms with Nav/iDrive also have that functionality, or does this "My Collection" refer to a thumb drive or other USB drive containing songs?
"Music Collection" is the music stored on the car's hard drive. I have about 60 CD's uploaded, and usually it does to the album list automatically when selected. If already listening to the collection, selecting it again usually brings you back to the album list.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:08 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
"Music Collection" is the music stored on the car's hard drive. I have about 60 CD's uploaded, and usually it does to the album list automatically when selected. If already listening to the collection, selecting it again usually brings you back to the album list.
OK, have you tried deleting this data on the car's hard drive then reloading it? That would be an easy fix for this 10 year old car with archaic (by modern standards) technology, if it works.

Alternatively, put your music collection on a USB thumb drive and use that as your source, organizing it how you wish. I would not be looking for opportunities to spend money fixing this sort of car electronics on this car if I had some other way to accomplish the same goal.
      05-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

If you select 'CD/DVD' rather than 'music collection' - without a CD in the drive - does it result in the same thing?
Appreciate 0