BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
elcid98
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

2010 Base Audio Upgrade by Musicar Northwest

The problem I personally experienced with the 2010 base audio was quite a bit of distortion and clipping when pushed. Ken at Musicar Northwest patiently went through a number of options over the course of 4-weeks before I made my decision.

Recommended Gear
I ultimately decided to swap out the front door speakers for Rainbow 4” mid-range drivers with tweeter separates in BMW tweeter sails. The under-seat subs were also replaced with a pair 8” Earthquake SWS. All driven by a rear deck mounted Zapco amp. Rears remained stock. If you are interested in more specifics please contact Ken directly and he can provide more details.

Sound Quality
I’ll caveat the following by saying I am by no means an audiophile; this is merely a simple man’s opinion …

Acoustical absorption
The 1-series cabin seems pretty solid. The amount of sound is significantly more than the base audio but after approximately 8-hrs of extended play time I have yet to detect any introduction of flutter, reverberations, or slap. Given the limited enclosure of the cabin to begin with I did not experience any billowing or echoes, as expected.

Audibility (of flaws)
Even when pushed to max volume I did not detect any hint of strain from any components. The tweeters remained poised. The mid-range drivers seemed to get better when driven hard. The subs never came across as overexerted.

Detail
I found that the system really shines when playing good recordings of live music. The notes are crisp and accurate. Intricate riffs and delicate sounds within familiar tracks are now more pronounced.

Frequency response
Using only personal music tracks I found that the system displayed a well-balanced response. Ken has done a nice job in using the DSP capabilities of the amp to handle the natural resonance of the cabin acoustics as well as the balance across the system components themselves.

BASS
Well balanced within the system. Provided a rich, full bottom end with smooth response over the entire bass frequency range. Remained controlled and articulate across many different music genres.

MIDRANGE
Provided natural playback of the musicality of instruments. Vocals came across as neutral and palpable.

TREBLE
Highs were open and airy.

Extension (frequency range)
Over the music genres that I listen to the system displayed a nice balance and enough extension for my satisfaction.

Imaging
I am thoroughly pleased that I took Ken’s advice and opted for the front components. It was money well spent as it helped provide better imaging and staging characteristics that I had expected.

Noise
No alternator whine, pink or white noise, or impulse noises (crackles, pops, ticks). Gong has also been addressed.

Customer Service
All in all, I am thoroughly pleased. I can personally vouch for Ken’s customer service. Over the course of my install, Ken committed himself to ensuring that things were done correctly; even during personal hours and across a 3-hr difference in time zones. After the system had been installed I still periodically touch base with Ken to review how the system is responding.

Do some research before you talk to Ken. And then, even if you think you know what you want, do some more homework to understand what you really need. Hopefully, in the end, you will be as happy with the results as I am.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear that your system has turned out so well, and thanks for your patience as we worked through the installer challenges.

I know that I get a lot of questions about how the SWS-8 woofers sound as subwoofers, with DSP applied to them - since many of us have commented in the past how they tend to be peaky without any processing or EQ applied to them. It's nice to hear that you didn't find them to be a "one-note" woofer in your system.

I'd also like to point out that the above post was NOT "paid for" with a price break... not that anyone would ever do THAT
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
brauheist2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid98 View Post
Over the course of my install, Ken committed himself to ensuring that things were done correctly; even during personal hours and across a 3-hr difference in time zones.
Did you do your own install or did you take it to a shop? If you took it to a shop who'd you take it to? I'm down here in Va. Beach.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
elcid98
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I had Safe and Sound in Manassas, VA do my install.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
fll_punk
It Feels like Summer in October
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mini

Which rainbow speaker series did you chose?
And I assume form Ken's comments above that you did not reprogram the HU?
Used the car's speaker level inputs?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
You will ALWAYS be happy going with musicarNW. Ken is a great guy and his main objective is quality systems that will make you, the buyer, HAPPY!!

I dont believe musicarNW has reprogrammed any HU at this point, toyed around with the idea but hasnt happened from what i know.
      11-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
geezerMD
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

I have the same components in my 2011 135 coupe, also supplied by Ken at Musicar NW and my impressions are similar to yours. I have been listening to mine for about a month and have made some tweaks to the DSP settings, which Ken helped me with initially. I am very pleased with support from Ken and highly recommend him to others.

My installation was done by 12Voltz in Glen Burnie, MD - who I also recommend.

Also - this is an upaid message!!
Appreciate 0