BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Help me figure out how to dial in the steering feel on my car

I'm putting this in General Discussion because I think the culprit could be several things.

My main complaint with this car is the, for lack of a better phrase, indifferent steering. I know that some people rave about this car having a hydraulic rack, but honestly I haven't been all that impressed with it. I think the feel is pretty vague (both on center and in corners), especially once you get to 40mph and above; and it also gets weirdly light at speed, even when its really heavy at parking lot and neighborhood speed. It also seems to lack precision. If I'm being perfectly honest, my 2010 Honda Accord hydraulic steering rack feels better than my 128i.

When I bought the car I knew I would do suspension work, so I had hoped that would improve the feel of the car. I have TRW (M3) front arms, the BMW Performance Suspension kit, and M3 rear subframe bushings. The car does handle well, but the feedback through the wheel is still a let down. I will admit, I don't have the best tires on the car (Conti DWS06) and I'm still on the stock staggered setup with the tiny front tires, so that could be playing a part.

Since I am by no means an expert on this stuff, I'm looking for advice on what folks think I should try to start dialing in the steering feel. My guess is some sort of combo of the following upgrades and changes will help, but I really don't know what to try first. I really don't want to just throw money at stuff without some sort of plan.

- Wider front wheels with better rubber (want to do 17x7.5 with 225/45/r17 Michelin PS4S)
- Better alignment (I don't have a copy of my specs, but I believe they set it to stock 128i M Sport specs after my suspension install)
- Better suspension (I knew the BMW PS was a bit of a compromise, however the handling of the car isn't all that bad, its just the feel through the wheel)

Appreciate any help anyone can give!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I'm not a expert on this either but what I can tell you is that tires & a proper alignment does help steering feel so I'd start there.

That said I had the same complaints about the stock suspension. I upgraded to The suspension which greatly improved the ride handling & feel. Did the following:

M3/TRW front arms upper & lower
Whiteline RSFB bushing inserts
Differential lockdown bracket
FF Indy500 tires
Alignment
Ohlins R&T with stiffer springs (ride height same as PS suspension)
      09-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I honestly think stiffer motor mounts made my steering feel a ton better. It just tightened up the response of the car overall.

Also, tire pressures will make a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Huh. I love my steering. If you're looking for even more feel, the only thing I can think of would be new tie rods and mono ball bushings for the control arms.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

You're underdamped as well. Especially with tall all season tires.
      09-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Steering feel is all about tires, and right now, you are worse than stock.

First off, getting rid of runflats greatly reduces steering feel, but increases grip, and gives a liveable ride.

The DWS are notorious for soft sidewalls. Get some better tires. Also you really need to get wider than the stock tires, and while you are getting new rims to fit wider tires properly, time to step up to 18" tires. With camber plates, and Apex wheels, you can fit 245's in the front.

Once you are done that, get an alignment.
Appreciate 1
10"4974.50
      09-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Get an alignment.

#1 thing is to get some good tires. Get some Michelins and ditch the sloppy Continentals.

The 128 has a wonderful steering rack; your car isn't set up right if you feel a crappy Accord has better steering...

Forget the suspension stuff; the best 'mod' you can ever do is put the best tires you can on a car.
      09-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Tires and Dinan camber plates (for more camber with alignment) should make a difference. I’ve also been surprised how much my Megan Racing strut tower bar stiffened the front.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Appreciate the responses! I figured the tires would be a good place to start, but definitely wanted people with more experience to chime in. I understand going to 18s, but to be completely honest I like the 128i M Sport 207 wheels, so I’m looking to source a pair of the 7.5” rears to square out the set up.

I do have a question. As far as alignment goes, exactly what specs should I be going for? I don’t have the actual print out from my alignment after I got the suspension done, but the shop told me they set it to stock 128i M Sport settings. Even then, in my head, I thought that didn’t sound exactly right considering I had put M3 control arms in.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

As stated steering feel is, for all practical purposes, about tires - then bushings and other attachment hardware. Put the best non-runflat Michelins you can get on it and it will be better.

That being said, the 128/135 won't have the same 'in-hand' feel that a well shod Miata or Porsche does.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Appreciate the responses! I figured the tires would be a good place to start, but definitely wanted people with more experience to chime in. I understand going to 18s, but to be completely honest I like the 128i M Sport 207 wheels, so I’m looking to source a pair of the 7.5” rears to square out the set up.

I do have a question. As far as alignment goes, exactly what specs should I be going for? I don’t have the actual print out from my alignment after I got the suspension done, but the shop told me they set it to stock 128i M Sport settings. Even then, in my head, I thought that didn’t sound exactly right considering I had put M3 control arms in.
M3 arms only increase front camber, which will not be adjusted during an alignment. Setting the toe to factory specs is good practice.
Appreciate 0