BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

OEM IPOD cable with IPhone 4, ios4.1

So I've been plugging in my Iphone since I got it and using the AUX menu and navigating via the phone. I assumed that the IPOD interface via the head unit was only for the IPOD and maybe the 3G/3GS.

Today I left my phone plugged in to run out to the store for a minute and when I got back in and started the car something different happened... The stereo suddenly recognized the IPOD interface and I was able to control everything from the head unit.

One problem... when I play via AUX everything is clear and sounds great. When the stereo recognizes it's an IPOD the sound has some distortion.

Now the questions... is something wrong? is there a newer cable I need? Why did it only recognize it as an IPOD when I started the car with the IPhone plugged in?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Did you setup your iPhone 4 as a new phone or did you restore a backup of your 3GS?

If you restored a backup of the 3GS then you have some settings on there that screw things up and are making the iPhone 4 act weird.

Go into settings --> general --> reset --> Reset all Settings. This will keep all your content on the phone but I believe you will need to setup your email and other preferences again, but it does wipe out the old connection settings in the phone that are causing your problems.

I had a similar problem with my phone when I upgraded to the 4.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Did you setup your iPhone 4 as a new phone or did you restore a backup of your 3GS?

If you restored a backup of the 3GS then you have some settings on there that screw things up and are making the iPhone 4 act weird.

Go into settings --> general --> reset --> Reset all Settings. This will keep all your content on the phone but I believe you will need to setup your email and other preferences again, but it does wipe out the old connection settings in the phone that are causing your problems.

I had a similar problem with my phone when I upgraded to the 4.
Thanks for the advice, but this is my first iPhone. No previous settings. Can you tell me what settings you had to change? Maybe they're wrong on mine despite being a new phone. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
JOE2391
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

i have the same problem... i had a 3gs and a 4 and i cant figure it out... i have restored my phone... still not working...i have noticed it doesn't get as loud either threw my iphone.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Today, my service rep told me that the AUX port is only for iPods, not iPhones. He said the iPhone requires more power than the port delivers. Hence, it's spotty - sometimes it recognizes it, and sometimes not. Not sure if that's correct or not - need to do some research. But I know that mine works intermittently, and I've heard others have the same problem, so maybe he's right.

If it doesn't, it'll play via Bluetooth, and the music quality will be bad.
      10-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Twenty7Delta
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i AW 6MT Premium pkg CA

BMW does make a Y cable that both charges the phone and lets you navigate the tunes. There are 2 cables that look the same but the new one does charge the phone.

You have to plug both the usb and aux connecter in with the y cable to get audio and navigate via the head unit.

Mine sounds fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty7Delta View Post
BMW does make a Y cable that both charges the phone and lets you navigate the tunes. There are 2 cables that look the same but the new one does charge the phone.

You have to plug both the usb and aux connecter in with the y cable to get audio and navigate via the head unit.

Mine sounds fine.
Is that an iPhone or an iPod? Does it work consistently?
      10-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Twenty7Delta
Canada
Rep

sorry, that was my iPhone 3GS and now my iPhone 4. The cable that was in the car when I bought it did not charge the phone so I asked at the parts counter and they said that it wouldn't work but I convinced them to try it and their new one worked.

Every now and then the car doesn't see the iPhone if I leave it in and connected - say, while I'm washing the car... When I get back in it doesn't get recognized until I unplug it and plug it back in.

Didn't like the price very much though... $130 Canadian???? They gave me 10% off when I whined....

Last edited by Twenty7Delta; 10-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: oldtimers....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty7Delta View Post
sorry, that was my iPhone 3GS and now my iPhone 4. The cable that was in the car when I bought it did not charge the phone so I asked at the parts counter and they said that it wouldn't work but I convinced them to try it and their new one worked.

Every now and then the car doesn't see the iPhone if I leave it in and connected - say, while I'm washing the car... When I get back in it doesn't get recognized until I unplug it and plug it back in.

Didn't like the price very much though... $130 Canadian???? They gave me 10% off when I whined....
So there's a newer cable that we need to have that looks the same? or are you saying that your original one was defective?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Twenty7Delta
Canada
Rep

they must have updated the cable and not said anything. All I know is that I bought a cable about 2 months ago, it looks exactly the same but charges my phone. sweet!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #11
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
I have the current cable and an iPhone 4 and it works with no problem. No sound problems either.
      11-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Apple's selling the iPhone 4 to anyone now, contract free. It is locked, but unlockable as long as it has IOS 4.1 or older. Just bought one yesterday to see how it would work with the car. Looking forward to trying it out once I have a microsim cutter. It will be curious to see if one can use Bluetooth for calls and the ipod connector/Aux cable for the iPod/navigation features and charging.

Edit: make that IOS 4.02. IOS 4.1 is not currently unlock able, but hopefully will be soon.

Last edited by MikeinAlexandria; 11-03-2010 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Blue135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
Apple's selling the iPhone 4 to anyone now, contract free. It is locked, but unlockable as long as it has IOS 4.1 or older. Just bought one yesterday to see how it would work with the car. Looking forward to trying it out once I have a microsim cutter. It will be curious to see if one can use Bluetooth for calls and the ipod connector/Aux cable for the iPod/navigation features and charging.
did you pick up a Y cable at BMW? What are they charging?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue135i View Post
did you pick up a Y cable at BMW? What are they charging?
My cable was included with the car as part of the value pack, a free option, iPod controls, USB and leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
MrGraphics
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport Package

Has anyone else had the problem of when the charge hits about 98%, then it starts disconnecting during music play (will come up with the "this device not supported" on the iPhone screen)?

If the charge is low, it will charge and play all day. But if it's almost charged or fully charged, it keeps dropping the interface connection.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got my IPhone to work well in the car. It was playing iPod music using the radio interface and lowering the volume of the music to give out nav instructions using Tom Tom. Tom Tom is ok, but not as good as a real Garmin.

My iPhone is jail broken, though still locked, so I can't make calls. But as a smart iPod/GPS, it is pretty cool, and costs less than my first NUVI 360.

I have not had an issue with the charging, but then I was using the iPhone in the iPod pocket, and just letting it do it's handsfree thing. Too bad ere is not a voice activated GPS application for it yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Update: My car is now at the shop for a few things so I took the opportunity to ask about my specific problem. I'm guessing that they didn't think it was normal either since the last time I spoke with them (about 2 days ago) the SA told me that they replaced the connections in the console but were still investigating.

I have to guess that based on their willingness to replace parts, and the cross section of people for whom it works (and doesn't), there's a systemic problem.

I'll post a final update once I get it back and know more...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
KMart03
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

You should check if your aux volume is turned up all the way. I had this problem when I first plugged in my iPhone 4 and the speakers sounded distorted. It's my understanding that the built in amp our cars have don't require you to turn the aux volume up if the volume on your iPhone is already up all the way. Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
EgoPaintedGrey
Rep
Drives: 125i

Whatīs the difference between the Y cable (61120440812) and connecting an Ipod using 2 separate cables, 1 for usb and one aux?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #20
LukyLuke
Rep
Drives: 135i cab - 520d (f10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoPaintedGrey View Post
Whatīs the difference between the Y cable (61120440812) and connecting an Ipod using 2 separate cables, 1 for usb and one aux?
The Y cable connects on car side USB + aux and on the iPhone apple socket only...

It works great in my 135 with the iphone 4 !
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
EgoPaintedGrey
Rep
Drives: 125i

Yeah, I know how the cable is. What I donīt know is whatīs the difference o,o?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #22
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Anyone here have the older cable on an 09 BMW with the Iphone 3g or 3GS where it worked fine but then when they upgraded to a newe Iphone 4 it did not work with that same cable? Did anyone update to a newer cable after to where it worked after??

My music sounds distorted using Iphone 4 with older BMW cable in M3 with navigation.
Appreciate 0