BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i Black on Black

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
What do you think of this setup?

Ignoring cost of any of these products, can I get some opinions on the setup listed below. Does anyone have this or a similar setup? This setup was recommended to me by the al & eds auto sound by my house and wanted some forum feedback. I currently have a base 128i model, no upgraded HiFi system, so I am sure most anything will be an upgrade. I am willing to pay the cost of this setup assuming I get good feed back.

Components: Focal 100VRS
Coaxials: Focal 100ca1
Sub: JL Audio 10W1V24 10" W1v2 Car Subwoofer
Amp: PDx-5 or JL Audio XD700/5
and the LC6i

I appreciate any feed back and/or suggestions. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracino89 View Post
Ignoring cost of any of these products, can I get some opinions on the setup listed below. Does anyone have this or a similar setup? This setup was recommended to me by the al & eds auto sound by my house and wanted some forum feedback. I currently have a base 128i model, no upgraded HiFi system, so I am sure most anything will be an upgrade. I am willing to pay the cost of this setup assuming I get good feed back.

Components: Focal 100VRS
Coaxials: Focal 100ca1
Sub: JL Audio 10W1V24 10" W1v2 Car Subwoofer
Amp: PDx-5 or JL Audio XD700/5
and the LC6i

I appreciate any feed back and/or suggestions. Thanks!!
Well I just got the speakers in the cabin and one amp installed in my car. The guy that recommended my setup was Jay from Al & Eds. He has a blue M3 that won at SEMA a couple of years ago for best sound. Here is what I got

Components: Focal 130VRS (Front and Back)
Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Soon going to put
Sub: 2 10" Alpine Type-r Thin line subs

Keep in mind I have dyno-matted my car, rewired the car for the new components, and replaced the HU. My friend Natalia, she loves fuckin loud music in cars, had me bump my system to 98%. Standing next to my car, you could not talk. This shit was that loud and super clean. She walked about a block away from my car and send me a text. She could still hear the music.

It is worth the money to dump on the speakers.... YES!!!!!! Focal speakers are the best. They have a break in period. They will start sounding a bit creamier after about 50 hours of use. These types of speakers have been around for a while. You see these types of speakers in very big music studios, etc. Take the plunge and you will not regret it. I sure do not!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

You will have better then HiFi once this is installed. Focals are great components, IMO. I have had many JL subs and is my favorite sub brand by far. I think they have recommended quality pieces for your ride.
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
Well I just got the speakers in the cabin and one amp installed in my car. The guy that recommended my setup was Jay from Al & Eds. He has a blue M3 that won at SEMA a couple of years ago for best sound. Here is what I got

Components: Focal 130VRS (Front and Back)

Soon going to put
Sub: 2 10" Alpine Type-r Thin line subs

Keep in mind I have dyno-matted my car, rewired the car for the new components, and replaced the HU.
Hey zeros and ones, it was Jay that was helping me as well. He had an nsx in the shop that he said had a similar setup, and it sounded pretty good, so I am confident in his suggestions, just wanted to get someone not affiliated with the shop for their opinion. Are you going to be placing the subs in the trunk, or replace the under seat stock subs?? Also, by replacing the HU, did you eliminate the need for the LC6i? btw, is there any way I could possibly listen to your system? since you said Jay did your car, I assume you live in the pasadena area, which is where I am. Thanks for your help so far guys.

Last edited by Sarracino89; 01-13-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey zeros and ones, it was Jay that was helping me as well. He had an nsx in the shop that he said had a similar setup, and it sounded pretty good, so I am confident in his suggestions, just wanted to get someone not affiliated with the shop for their opinion. Are you going to be placing the subs in the trunk, or replace the under seat stock subs?? Also, by replacing the HU, did you eliminate the need for the LC6i? btw, is there any way I could possibly listen to your system? since you said Jay did your car, I assume you live in the pasadena area, which is where I am. Thanks for your help so far guys.
I should have specified that I had this installed in my 5er that I have. Totally my bad. I actually live in Northridge which is about a 40 min drive to Pasadena. Jay actually moved from the Al & Eds in Northridge to yours on E Walnut Street.

You could definitely listen to my system. If you want we can meet somewhere in the middle, say like Toluca Lake area or maybe in some other location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Wha?? Ya say sumthin? I can't hear you!
LOL!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I should have specified that I had this installed in my 5er that I have. Totally my bad. I actually live in Northridge which is about a 40 min drive to Pasadena. Jay actually moved from the Al & Eds in Northridge to yours on E Walnut Street.

You could definitely listen to my system. If you want we can meet somewhere in the middle, say like Toluca Lake area or maybe in some other location.

LOL!!!!!
Ahh I see, I was curious as to why you had components all around? You said you had the Focal 100 VRS in front and back? I don't plan on getting the system for a while, as I am trying to get the money together, but I would definitely be interested in hearing your system. I have friday and saturday off from work and school, so maybe we can meet up one of those days. Or later on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
You said you had the Focal 100 VRS in front and back? I don't plan on getting the system for a while, as I am trying to get the money together, but I would definitely be interested in hearing your system. I have friday and saturday off from work and school, so maybe we can meet up one of those days. Or later on.
I actually got the Focal 130vrs all around. Saturday works best for me. When is a good time and where do you want to meet?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually got the Focal 130vrs all around. Saturday works best for me. When is a good time and where do you want to meet?
Hey maybe we can set something up later towards when I will purchase the items since you live in Northridge. This weekend got kinda busy :/
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey maybe we can set something up later towards when I will purchase the items since you live in Northridge. This weekend got kinda busy :/
It's cool dude. No worries. Take your time, I am not changin' this particular setup. It is perfect for me
Appreciate 0