BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-13-2024, 01:17 PM   #1
Security_IE
Not So New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135; 2021 X5 45e

DMTL Pump Replacement 2010 135 Code 2B3A

Plenty of info on changing these on a 3 series but I didn't find anything specific to the 1 series. Here are some photos I took changing the pump on my 135. Took about 45 minutes total.

My Service Engine Soon light came on. I pulled the code with INPA as 2B3A, DMTL. The 5833 line translates to "Pump current too high during reference measurement", so I ordered a new pump. My understanding of this pump is that is draws the vacuum for the fuel system to detect leaks, such as the gas cap being loose.

The pump is attached to the charcoal canister in the right rear of the car, under a plastic access panel. I jacked up the back right corner at the normal jack point to give me a few more inches of clearance. The panel can be pulled down after removal of a few 8mm screws and 10mm bolts, which are all clearly visible.

The canister is held in place by two 10mm bolts and will drop down enough to disconnect the electrical connection and the hose from the pump.

To disconnect the hose from the pump, you need to slide the plastic ring on the hose fitting back, as the pump is barbed on the end (see photos).

Disconnecting the hose allows the whole assembly to drop down further, making it easy to reach the three T20 torx screws that hold the pump to the canister. You can get to the T20s before disconnecting the hose from the pump if you prefer. The other hoses do not need to be disconnected from the canister.

Remove the pump from the canister by pulling it out of the canister towards the front of the car. There is a rubber seal on the end of the pump that goes into the canister. Once removed, move the rubber seal from the old pump to the new pump. My new pump did not come with this seal.

Reinstallation is simply in reverse order. This was a very simple process with minimal tools needed.

Good luck!
Attached Images

01-13-2024, 03:18 PM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Thanks. I need to do that on my 128i.
Appreciate 0