BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT+PS+PE / X3 M40i Stock

AIM Data Acquisition - Which one?

Anyone using data acquisition devices? I'm looking for feedback and recommendations on which AIM data logging device to get and how you make use of your data acquisition device.

Primary goal is to gather data to improve my lap times.
Secondary goal is to have another display for the tach and shift lights. The dash is partly obscured by the steering wheel.

Here's the link to AIM products.
https://www.aimsportsystems.com.au/d...guide_2020.zip

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

If the main/only goal is to collect data then get a Solo2 DL. The others will be much more money as they are digital dashes AND data acquisition.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:02 AM   #3
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
If the main/only goal is to collect data then get a Solo2 DL. The others will be much more money as they are digital dashes AND data acquisition.
Thanks that's what I was leaning towards although better dash readout would be nice.

Do you use a data acquisition device and what features do you use?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcarDefector View Post
Thanks that's what I was leaning towards although better dash readout would be nice.

Do you use a data acquisition device and what features do you use?
I have a Solo2 DL in my car. I use it for data acquisition to review where to gain time, also as a lap timer and to monitor temps.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
I have a Solo2 DL in my car. I use it for data acquisition to review where to gain time, also as a lap timer and to monitor temps.
Thanks very much for your feedback.

I'm going to order the Solo2 DL. Your recommendation will save me hundreds of dollars instead of buying a more expensive DA device with features that I don't really need.
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      12-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:

I'm going to order the Solo2 DL. Your recommendation will save me hundreds of dollars instead of buying a more expensive DA device with features that I don't really need.
My experience is with the earlier Solo DL, which is a great tool for improving lap times. It uses the same BMW_PT6 protocol to communicate with the vehicle as the Solo2 DL so as far as data channels they can log, they are the same. Note that communicating through the OBDII port the data available is severely limited (as to be almost useless). You need to get the CAN cable with your Solo2 DL, not the OBDII cable to be able to connect directly to the CAN bus. That gives you 35 (ish) channels of vehicle data, much of it useful. Wiring to the CAN bus also provides the possibility of connecting to a power source so that you are not always running the Solo on internal battery power.

Note that N54 cars do not have an oil pressure sensor, and while N55 cars do, the BMW_PT6 protocol does not access it. Also the Solo2 DL does not accept any other inupt channels than what it can get through the CAN or OBDII busses, so logging oil pressure does not appear to be possible with the Solo DL loggers.

Check this out:

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...T6_101_eng.pdf

M-World.us had (has?) a nice plug and play cable solution for connecting to the CAN bus at the ECU, but even without that, it is not too difficult.

Regardng your wheel obstructing the OE dash, you may find that driving instructors will suggest altering your seating and wheel position significantly from what you have become accustomed to on the street. Listen to them. As a general observation of track newbies, you likely sit too far aft, too much reclined, and with the wheel too far away from you for optimum track driving. Fixing that may significantly alter the dash visibility and possibly fix the issue.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Quote:

My experience is with the earlier Solo DL, which is a great tool for improving lap times. It uses the same BMW_PT6 protocol to communicate with the vehicle as the Solo2 DL so as far as data channels they can log, they are the same. Note that communicating through the OBDII port the data available is severely limited (as to be almost useless). You need to get the CAN cable with your Solo2 DL, not the OBDII cable to be able to connect directly to the CAN bus. That gives you 35 (ish) channels of vehicle data, much of it useful. Wiring to the CAN bus also provides the possibility of connecting to a power source so that you are not always running the Solo on internal battery power.

Note that N54 cars do not have an oil pressure sensor, and while N55 cars do, the BMW_PT6 protocol does not access it. Also the Solo2 DL does not accept any other inupt channels than what it can get through the CAN or OBDII busses, so logging oil pressure does not appear to be possible with the Solo DL loggers.

Check this out:

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...T6_101_eng.pdf

M-World.us had (has?) a nice plug and play cable solution for connecting to the CAN bus at the ECU, but even without that, it is not too difficult.

Regardng your wheel obstructing the OE dash, you may find that driving instructors will suggest altering your seating and wheel position significantly from what you have become accustomed to on the street. Listen to them. As a general observation of track newbies, you likely sit too far aft, too much reclined, and with the wheel too far away from you for optimum track driving. Fixing that may significantly alter the dash visibility and possibly fix the issue.
Wow, thanks for the advise and all the info on the canbus signals. Guess I may have to look at the MXn logger instead especially since I'm concerned about oil starvation.

I'll work on the seating position. Haven't sat in a fixed upright sparco race seat for a long time and it seems unnatural to mimic that geometry in a street seat ... but your advice makes total sense.
Appreciate 0