BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
DEPO Headlight Questions - LEDs and sealing issues

Installed my DEPOs a few weeks ago, and since then we've had some very heavy rain which has caused condensation in the passenger side headlight. Does anyone know of a good way to prevent this? Is my light defective?

Also, planning on installing Morimoto 2stroke 3.0s. Does anyone have experience installing these bulbs? I'm hoping to avoid cutting into into the headlight cover, but I ordered the rubber mount extensions JIC. I want to make sure I don't introduce an additional moisture issues!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Interested as well
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
Interested as well
Looks like my moisture issues were caused by a turn signal bulb not being seated properly. It is currently raining here and there are no signs of moisture in the housing, knock on wood.

The Morimoto 2stroke kit that I ordered didn't fit. There was plenty of room for the ballasts, but the heatsinks were too long and I wasn't going to cut the cover and potentially introduce more moisture issues. Oddly enough they fit just fine when I test fitted them in my stock halogens, so maybe I'll try installing them in the DEPOS again. I wasn't committed to bending the retaining brackets, so that might have had something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I'm curious how the beam pattern looks with the DEPO projectors.

I installed the PIAA system and HATED it. The color was nice, but the beam pattern from the stock halogen reflectors was a joke. The PIAA system was supposedly designed with reflectors in mind. I had them installed one night and ripped them out and sold 'em on eBay.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post

I installed the PIAA system and HATED it. The color was nice, but the beam pattern from the stock halogen reflectors was a joke. The PIAA system was supposedly designed with reflectors in mind. I had them installed one night and ripped them out and sold 'em on eBay.
Beam pattern seems to match up with the stock Xenons from the pics I've seen. Currently running the halogens that come with the DEPO units when ordering from fishcakes, but I doubt that it would affect things at all. Very happy with the units since I resolved the moisture (read: turn signal bulb install error) issues.

How was the quality of the PIAA kit? Any fitment issues? I know Morimoto is the go-to for lighting, but I'm not cutting up my covers to make them fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
How was the quality of the PIAA kit? Any fitment issues? I know Morimoto is the go-to for lighting, but I'm not cutting up my covers to make them fit.
Well, I only had them in one night so I never tested their sealing properties. I don't remember any issues at all. I think the fit was pretty good. The quality was top notch, they just don't work with reflectors at all.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post

I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the adapter/collar on the Morimoto 2strokes comes off. Ended up installing them in the DEPOs no problem and am very happy with them after 2 months. Not the brightest bulb but the beam pattern is great. Might be worth giving them a go in the stock halogens, cause these bulbs were designed for reflectors (much more inclined to take Morimoto's word for it than PIAA). TheRetrofitSource has a video on them with some solid info.

That being said, DEPOs are well worth the money. Only issue I've had is that one of my highbeams doesn't work. Haven't had time to play around with it but I rarely use them given how solid the low beam projectors are w/ the LEDs.
Appreciate 0