BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
CH400EM
M119
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9892 Merc 400E, %E2%80%

Replaced Michelin A/S3+ (215f, 245r, stock sizes) with the Continental ECS one size up (225f, 255r).

Aesthetically I like the contis. The tread pattern is nice and functional and the sidewalls are simple. The increase in size wasn't as noticeable as I thought it might be. (Though that may be that this tire runs smaller, I'm not sure)

First driving impressions are that this is a really nice tire for the money, especially for a daily driver. I'm a bit hard on my tires, so the lower cost vs MPS4S could be nice for when I'm replacing the rears. Driving on poor roads, the tire is comfortable but not bouncy. And highway driving is quiet and composed (expected from a brand new road tire). Time will tell how the tire holds up and if I'm going to go to the PS4S, like my other vehicle. All together, I'm running PS4Ss, Conti DWS06, and now the ECS on vehicles, and I think the ECS is a reasonable tire without too much less performance vs the PS4S.

I'll update thread after I put more miles on them. Currently at ~300mi.
Attached Images

asbrr543.00
lab_rat394.50
      05-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH400EM View Post
Replaced Michelin A/S3+ (215f, 245r, stock sizes) with the Continental ECS one size up (225f, 255r).

Aesthetically I like the contis. The tread pattern is nice and functional and the sidewalls are simple. The increase in size wasn't as noticeable as I thought it might be. (Though that may be that this tire runs smaller, I'm not sure)

First driving impressions are that this is a really nice tire for the money, especially for a daily driver. I'm a bit hard on my tires, so the lower cost vs MPS4S could be nice for when I'm replacing the rears. Driving on poor roads, the tire is comfortable but not bouncy. And highway driving is quiet and composed (expected from a brand new road tire). Time will tell how the tire holds up and if I'm going to go to the PS4S, like my other vehicle. All together, I'm running PS4Ss, Conti DWS06, and now the ECS on vehicles, and I think the ECS is a reasonable tire without too much less performance vs the PS4S.

I'll update thread after I put more miles on them. Currently at ~300mi.
Great tire!

I also think the Indy Firehawk is another great value tire.

That said, the MPS4S is in another galaxy grip wise. Mich tires also last me a really long time, unlike Conti or Hankook, and the grip doesn't fall off with the MPS4S in the second half of its life like the PSS did, so if you can afford the up front cost, definitely go for it if you continue to have traction issues with the ECS.

Other options include AD08R and the Re71R depending on weather.
asbrr543.00
      05-05-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

I ran the Conti ECS right after a set of Bridgestone RE760, and am now running Indy 500s.

The Conti was probably the most "sophisticated" of the 3 tires - very good wet grip, ride comfort and characteristics, no noise, and progressive at the limit. What I absolutely HATED was the steering response. Conti was supposed to have improved this a lot in the ECS after the DW / DWS series tire (which if you do any research was panned widely for poor steering response). I had a set of the DWS on an A4 a few years ago and it was noticeably poor.

What I found with the ECS is while improved, I could still feel the sidewall "wobble" in quick transitions (imagine at highway speed, quickly do a lane change or a quick left-right transition - you'd feel a delay in response, very disconcerting). I don't know if this was exacerbated by my suspension / mods (B12 Kit w/ Dinan camber plates) or if it would have been similar with stock suspension, but I did not like that one thing.

Swapped to Indy 500s and the response was back, but the ride characteristics (comfort, noise, daily street performance) was not as good as the ECS...

You can't win em all I suppose....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've been using the Conti ECS's for the street wheels on my e46 m3 as well as the 135i. It's a great everyday summer tire for the price! Still plenty of tire for me for some "spirited" drives up in the mountains and even some autox events, I've never had to fight for too much grip.

Recently got another set of wheels and mounted the Dunlop direzza dz102 tires and the ride is definitely less comfortable than the conti's, but the dunlops have a stiffer sidewall so turn in feels better. Dunlops are noticibly louder as well inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:42 AM   #5
BrandonMllr
Rep
Drives: BMW 1series F52

On my car i use continental sport contact 5 (RSC), and it's very good for for my 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

The Conti EC Sport is on my short list of possible summer tires next time around. I had the previous generation - the DW - on an E46 M3. Definitely a bit softer in the sidewall than some other tires I used, but this also made them ride more like grand touring tires while performing pretty well as performance summer tires. That was a good thing as my commute was fairly long over less than ideal highways. But, they didn't provide the 'slapping' over expansion strips or crack seals that other performance summers did.
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I put 20k miles on my car with Conti ECS. They were a good tire for the money and I was always happy with them. They get VERY slick below 50° and should only be used very carefully in winter.

I recently upgraded to Michelin PS4S and the difference is huge. They have tons of grip, even down to 40°, way more than the ECS had. In warmer temperatures, they are in a completely different league for grip. I know they are more expensive, but we're talking about $40 more per tire for 2-3 years of improved handling and more fun. I'm kicking myself for not getting the PS4S originally. Don't skimp if you can help it. PS4S are absolutely worth the additional cost.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
BikeNHV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i, F-350, Cooper SE

I have a set of Conti ECS in 225/45-17 and 245/40-17 that I'm planning to install in the spring. Pretty excited, I've had my 1 series for almost 6 years and only ever run all-seasons and winters.

The car has always had Continental tires from before I bought it, and I've had good luck the brand on other vehicles as well.
But now that I read this, the PS4S could be something to try in the future...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #9
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

How does ride quality and wet traction compare on the Conti EC Sport vs. PS4S? I suspect I'd get some driving time in at temps below 50*, unless I go with winter tires from end of Oct through mid-April here in MA! That might be too much to take.
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:31 AM   #10
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

ECS were very good in wet weather, one of the best wet weather summer tires I've ever had, similar to Potenza S04. I haven't driven the PS4S in summer yet, but they easily beat the ECS in every respect so far. Noise is about equal with them, but steering is a little sharper with the PS4S. I would never even think of going back to ECS, not even if they were half the price, especially if I did a lot of cold weather driving.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #11
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for information! I probably have a couple more seasons (hopefully more) left in the RE980AS, which are good for my needs in MA. They extend the time away from winter setups, which is important, but aren't full out summer tires. I'm also thinking about BFG Sport Comp2, which were pretty decent on my E46 M3 if a bit harsh in the comfort department.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #12
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Wanted to update the thread.

I posted earlier, I ran ECS a couple of years back in 225/255 on stock 18" staggered wheels (7.5" front and 8.5" rear). I liked the smoothness, ride comfort, wet grip (dry was fine too), and quiet of the Conti ECS. I did NOT like how I lost steering response, especially in quick left/right transitions. It felt like the sidewall had way too much "squish" factor in hard lateral transitions. I played with pressures etc, no go.

Fast forward, I ran Indy 500s right after the Conti ECS, they were OK but clearly a less sophisticated (cheaper) tire. Fronts wore out prematurely due to an alignment problem, so I was forced to look at a new set now.

After a lot of back and forth I decided to try the Conti ECS again but this time downsizing to 215/245 - factory sizes. I didn't mind if I lost a bit of steering precision as I wouldn't be tracking the car, and I have a 987.2 S Cayman that is my weekend/fun car now.

I'm happy to report I made the right call - the tires are now a perfect balance of smoothness, ride comfort, grip, and quiet! The reduction in sidewall height and the extra sidewall support provided by an optimal rim to tire width ratio has almost eliminated the "squish" factor I felt before! It's still there, but a tiny amount you wouldn't notice unless you really knew what to look for. Moreover the ride comfort is still noticeable! they really "round off" the sharp edges of bumps!

I think for a car that's not heavy nobody would ever notice the "squish" but any car that pushes the tire, and the tire sidewall is tall combined with the rim not being wide enough to support it - you will notice that squish factor compared to other high performance tires.

Anyhow - very happy with these now...! Great value for a sophisticated tire.
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50