BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #23
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Can't hurt. Not a very good motorsport solution though. Baffle is the bare minimum we should've gotten from the factory like most every generation BMW engine before n5x.
Wish the M2 sump was a bolt on replacement...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:25 PM   #24
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
dtla1 , AndyW , i believe anything with a production date in 2011 or earlier would have the older style pump (for n55 eseries, if you have the unlocked ecu, then you have the older style pump). When Andy said he was passing on the HPFP upgrade, it made wonder if he had the newer style pump, which has actual upgrade replacements from a couple of vendors. AFAIK, for the older style pump, there are a couple of Over Drive add on options, but no full replacement. Which is why I personally went to PI, i am trying to reduce the load on the HPFP, not increase it. That is my opinion of course.
I knew there was a change in 2011 or so. But I also thought the older one was better? We'll see what rail pressure does after the install.

I just looked at the Helix overdrive...looks interesting.

Quote:
I know nothing about baffles other than reading the information shared by mostly you guys and on spool, but i came across this via google search. Anyone have any experience with it? https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/pro...55-sump-baffle.
That thing looks like a work of art...crap...now I want it.

Asbjorn and bbnks2 , you guys have thought a lot more about the baffle issue than I ...what is your assessment of this product? I am seriously thinking of getting it instead of the VAC.

Last edited by AndyW; 03-19-2021 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Added info
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #25
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I knew there was a change in 2011 or so. But I also thought the older one was better? We'll see what rail pressure does after the install.

I just looked at the Helix overdrive...looks interesting.

That thing looks like a work of art...crap...now I want it.

Asbjorn and bbnks2 , you guys have thought a lot more about the baffle issue than I ...what is your assessment of this product? I am seriously thinking of getting it instead of the VAC.
Interesting they show the baffle working in a deceleration test... I am having a hard time conceptualizing it's functionality just from picture though.
Appreciate 2
houtan707.00
AndyW667.50
      03-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #26
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Interesting they show the baffle working in a deceleration test... I am having a hard time conceptualizing it's functionality just from picture though.
Me too... because it is upside down...lol. the install instructions are linked on that page and help a bit. It looks to me like it restricts the oil from moving easily fully aft(reduces effective sump size) and then uses a series of staged baffle "windows" to limit it's flow forward and help it return aft. It probably doesn't seal tightly to the oil pan on the bottom since it is attached to the block, which means there is always some "trickle" flow possible in or out. I dunno. I am just waiting for them to email me back to confirm it fits a standard N55 vice just M135/M235i. If they confirm, I'm doing it. It'll only cost probably $100 more than a VAC plus the welding cost.
Appreciate 1
houtan707.00
      03-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #27
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, MMR got back to me. Apparently that only. Fits the F series N55s. I checked Realoem and the pans are definitely different part #'s. Bummer.
Appreciate 1
houtan707.00
      03-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #28
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Bummer. You ask if they were releasing one for e series?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 10:13 PM   #29
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bummer. You ask if they were releasing one for e series?
I did. No answer yet.

I researched the two pans via Realoem and some pics online.. I actually wondered if the F series pan would fit in an E series. Based on same oil pump, oil pickup and gasket, it would. Problem is that our oil pan has a spot where the P/S pump mount bolts to it. The F series does not(I assume electric P/S?). So no getting an F series pan in order to get the cool baffle.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #30
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, MMR said they may branch into the E8X market in the future. The guy even offered that they realized the dimensions weren't that different. I wish we had enough activity from 1er track folks on this forum to build up a group buy to entice them to make it...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #31
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
our oil pan has a spot where the P/S pump mount bolts to it.
Is that something that can be retrofitted? It owuld seem that if it's got the right overall shape (fits up to the block correctly, bolt holes line up, sump is at the right depth) that would be the important stuff. After that perhaps the internals could be modified?

Just throwing out the idea, have been around many engines in the past but not actually our own.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #32
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Has anyone looked to VAC, Turner, or Bimmerworld? These are my go-to for track car bits.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #33
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
Has anyone looked to VAC, Turner, or Bimmerworld? These are my go-to for track car bits.
VAC makes one...but it is pretty simple and has to be welded in. That is probably the way I will go as this one, sadly, doesn't fit.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #34
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Is that something that can be retrofitted? It owuld seem that if it's got the right overall shape (fits up to the block correctly, bolt holes line up, sump is at the right depth) that would be the important stuff. After that perhaps the internals could be modified?

Just throwing out the idea, have been around many engines in the past but not actually our own.
Problem will be alignment for the P/S pulley, even if you could weld or bolt on a proper support to the F series that the P/S pump mounts to. That alignment would have to be nearly perfect or I imagine you'll start chewing up serpentine belts regularly....which is also a risk on this car given the ability to suck in serpentine belts arounnd the crank balancer.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Even if the pans are different, the MMR baffle looks like it attaches to the sump/pickup itself. As long as there is enough clearance it should** work?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #36
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Even if the pans are different, the MMR baffle looks like it attaches to the sump/pickup itself. As long as there is enough clearance it should** work?
I have no idea if there is enough clearance.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #37
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea if there is enough clearance.
It looks like they use the same sump PN.. I have a sneaking suspicion that the MMR baffle will actually fit with no modifications, but no one has actually checked/verified.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=11417590736
Appreciate 1
AndyW667.50
      03-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #38
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Not that anyone has the extra time, but if you did, I wonder if mmr would be open providing a sample for test fit.

Many years ago I wanted to try the do88 oil cooler replacement that was for the e9x m3 dct, but mounted in the same location as the n55 engine oil cooler. They couldn’t confirm fitment and offered the item at a discounted price since I would be trying it, but I didn’t have the time not the patience so it went nowhere lol.
Appreciate 1
AndyW667.50
      03-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #39
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not that anyone has the extra time, but if you did, I wonder if mmr would be open providing a sample for test fit.

Many years ago I wanted to try the do88 oil cooler replacement that was for the e9x m3 dct, but mounted in the same location as the n55 engine oil cooler. They couldn’t confirm fitment and offered the item at a discounted price since I would be trying it, but I didn’t have the time not the patience so it went nowhere lol.
I reached out again. We'll see what happens.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #40
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, MMR graciously offered me a 10% discount if I wanted to get one to experiment with. I am conflicted. I really like it but I know it will take a little bit of work to fit and the VAC Motorsports one is direct fit (with welding).

I did some study of the two pans and the MMR baffle (ass much as is possible with pics on the internet) and made this graphic.

Blue dotted lines are where I see the MMR fitting. This appears to mean nothing in the rear will be a fitment problem.

Yellow circles are reference bolt holes.

Red circles illustrate where the MMR baffle is shaped on the drivers side (US) for the F series pan that the E series pan is different. I am not sure this will matter as the MMR baffle will still be "snug" against that side, and honestly, that side isn't the side we worry about as much.

Green line is the angle of the F series pan and my estimation of it overlaid on the E series pan.

Green circles indicate where i think there is significant difference. The MMR baffle is contoured to fit the "steps" in the F series pan. The good news is that it appears the F series pan requires that part to be taller than the E series, so it would be a cutting/grinding solution, not a "build up" solution.

Anyone else see any significant pitfalls? I don't know why I've become a bit obsessed with this thing, but I kinda am. I blame houtan for posting the link.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #41
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So, MMR graciously offered me a 10% discount if I wanted to get one to experiment with. I am conflicted. I really like it but I know it will take a little bit of work to fit and the VAC Motorsports one is direct fit (with welding).

I did some study of the two pans and the MMR baffle (ass much as is possible with pics on the internet) and made this graphic.

Blue dotted lines are where I see the MMR fitting. This appears to mean nothing in the rear will be a fitment problem.

Yellow circles are reference bolt holes.

Red circles illustrate where the MMR baffle is shaped on the drivers side (US) for the F series pan that the E series pan is different. I am not sure this will matter as the MMR baffle will still be "snug" against that side, and honestly, that side isn't the side we worry about as much.

Green line is the angle of the F series pan and my estimation of it overlaid on the E series pan.

Green circles indicate where i think there is significant difference. The MMR baffle is contoured to fit the "steps" in the F series pan. The good news is that it appears the F series pan requires that part to be taller than the E series, so it would be a cutting/grinding solution, not a "build up" solution.

Anyone else see any significant pitfalls? I don't know why I've become a bit obsessed with this thing, but I kinda am. I blame houtan for posting the link.
Great analysis. Yeah it's hard to be 100% sure what exactly would need to be trimmed back. It's intriguing because the bolt in solution is much easier for the Home/DIY person who might not have a welder, or who might not want to remove the pan and take it to a shop for them to weld in for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #42
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
daym, i thought i was helping out at first lol.

enjoyed reading the comparison of the pans. Tough choice imo. the 10% off is nice, but it would be more reassuring if they would offer some sort of follow up support if it doesnt fit. Maybe a design tweak so you end up with something that works.

looking forward to seeing what you go with either way.
Appreciate 1
AndyW667.50
      03-30-2021, 12:04 AM   #43
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, I basically refreshed my intake path when I got the new FMIC. I replaced the air filter, MAF, and TMAP. I also changed spark plugs and boost solenoid. Coils were only several thousand miles old so I figured they were OK. I want everything to be as fresh as possible for the new turbo install.

Before complete reassembly I did several boost tests to 25# to check for leaks in the intake path ( I have the kit to do it properly). The only strange response during boost leak testing was a weird hold at around 19#, then a quick drop to 15# then the typically very slow drop. This pattern was repeatable.

Since the car idled and ran at the track and when I moved it from the trailer to the garage with just a bit of smoke, I figured I would start the car and make sure it I installed the stuff I refreshed. Basically, check everything I replaced while at idle. When I started it, it only stumbled a bit then went through the idle cycle but had a LOT of white smoke. I though maybe the mix was off so turned it off, used MHD to "reset MAF" and restarted. Then, oil actually spurted out of the exhaust. So, the turbo is definitely done, done. Probably pushed a seal or something with the boost testing. So, I guess I'll have to winch it into the trailer to take it to the shop for the turbo replacement now.

Is there a chance I may have hurt something else?

Appreciate 2
houtan707.00
      03-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #44
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Holy crap!!!

Talk about shit the bed.