BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #89
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojk View Post
Thanks.
My workshop is fitting the RSBs now, but they are asking which was is 'UP' for them.

I need an answer for them. Any ideas guys?
There are dimples on the bushings where they meet up flush with the body of the car. I think it will be obvious when they drop the axle. I also think there is a arrow on the bushing itself. BMW does use marks on some of the suspension bushings. It's been so long since I had this done its hard to remember.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #90
dojk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Hi Dack,

Thank for the response. I have the Strongflex PU bushings. They do not indicate nor have dimples.

But we worked out that the rear RSB, the bottom is concaved to sit in the domed 'seat'.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      06-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #91
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport

FYI, just had the Whiteline 2-piece bushings (KDT917) installed, along with a bunch of other bits (M3 rear upper arms, new rear toe arms, M3 diff bushings, plus front end M3 lower arms and Dinan camber plates).

Performance is improved as you would expect per everyone else's feedback, no regrets.

However, I'm posting this more as fair warning to those of you with northern cars getting up in age... the standard tricks to drop the subframe corner by corner and use sockets etc+heat to press out the old bushings ain't gonna work. Mine is 9 years old now, seen at least 7 Canadian winters, salt, and other abuse. The factory bushings were NOT coming out without a big fight. Wound up going to shop to drop subframe for the install, so I also did stainless brake lines at same time, as well as the diff bushings. In for a penny... There is no way I would have felt comfortable putting the kind of load required using a combination of jacks and jackstands.

Shop said the front bushings came out pretty easily, but rears required putting the subframe on the press - no hand tools were going to get them out no matter how much heat etc was applied. If you have the press, why not use it I guess!

One of the mechanics owns an E90 335i and he's decided when he does this job, he's buying a new subframe... yikes.

Thanks for all who have provided advice in this thread - this is truly a great upgrade that I've been waiting to get to for more than a year. I would only add in that while you're in there, might as well put in an MPerformance LSD at the same time... Man that slope is slippery.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10512.00
lab_rat394.50
      04-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #92
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Best Practice

I'm about to tackle the Whiteline 2-piece upgrades soon. As far as I can tell from these threads

1) I'll need a tool for the rears . Like https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ight=rsfb+tool

2) It is possible to push out the fronts with a large socket, heat, and the weight of the car to push them out. Mentioned here. https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...3&postcount=50

Can anyone provide me a better description of the process in for #2? What size socket? where do you place it? and the safe way to apply the pressure to the bushing. Pics would be helpful for this if anyone has them.

Thanks in Advance
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #93
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
I'm about to tackle the Whiteline 2-piece upgrades soon. As far as I can tell from these threads

1) I'll need a tool for the rears . Like https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ight=rsfb+tool

2) It is possible to push out the fronts with a large socket, heat, and the weight of the car to push them out. Mentioned here. https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...3&postcount=50

Can anyone provide me a better description of the process in for #2? What size socket? where do you place it? and the safe way to apply the pressure to the bushing. Pics would be helpful for this if anyone has them.

Thanks in Advance
As you know I had my dealer do the install of the M3 RSB on my 135i. It was a pretty big job. You have to drop the rear axle... get new SS brake lines, brake fluid too.

You will need a on the car press like these... I am not sure of the M3 bushings size... but they are big... like three inches in diameter or so. When you have your new bushings, you can figure out the size. You might even need a larger C-clamp part to be able to press out the old bushings. From what I remember the tech telling me... the front ones were easy to do... but the rear ones were a real PITA.

Astro Pneumatic Tool 7897 Ball Joint Service Tool and Master Adapter Set
https://www.amazon.com/Keywords-5-se...f=sb_s_sparkle

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #94
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [10.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
My M3 bushings have arrived!

I’ve wanted to do this and replace the stock RFTs for a long time, but waited because I did not want to replace new tires.

7 years later, I’m ready for new tires and figure the bushings are going first.

My dealer is going to do the install for $800, which I think isn’t too bad. Got the bushings for $273.

You mention SS brake lines, do you have a recommended version? Will the dealer replace the oem with non oem? What does the 1M /M3 use?

After the bushings are installed (next week), I’m getting 215/45/17 and 255/45/17 PS4S tires.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #95
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
My M3 bushings have arrived!

I’ve wanted to do this and replace the stock RFTs for a long time, but waited because I did not want to replace new tires.

7 years later, I’m ready for new tires and figure the bushings are going first.

My dealer is going to do the install for $800, which I think isn’t too bad. Got the bushings for $273.

You mention SS brake lines, do you have a recommended version? Will the dealer replace the oem with non oem? What does the 1M /M3 use?

After the bushings are installed (next week), I’m getting 215/45/17 and 255/45/17 PS4S tires.
Check out Techna-Fit lines. I've used them on several cars, they are quality items and also got approval from fe1rx on the type of head/fitting they use.
Appreciate 0