BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #45
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe, AW/Terracotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
I've picked mine up now with the HK audio, and echoing what others have said, it's ok but it's not great.

I will note that the PDF I mentioned on the optimum audio settings for HK in the e90/e92 doesn't seem to sound very good in the 1 series. I plugged in these settings and to me it sounded worse than the factory defaults.

I'm finding that the imaging isn't as good in the 1, I'm very aware that the sound is coming from several points (namely the driver's door) rather than feeling like it's coming from all around. At the standard settings the midrange seems to be a bit overwhelming, and the bass feels weak by comparison.

I played with the EQ curve and the bass/treble/fader a bit and got it to sound better (to me), but I don't like it as much as the HK audio in my e46. It feels like when you turn the volume up in the 1, the midrange again gets disproportionally louder and starts to sound a little harsh.

It definitely sounds a little better than the base audio system, but I was expecting more. Hard to say if I'd recommend it or not, I think an quality aftermarket solution would probably sound best but don't know if it's better to build on the base or the HK audio for this.

I totally agree with you. I would expect more from an upgrade. I guess BMW feels that if they make the 1er too good, no one will ever want to upgrade into other more expensive models. My 5 series premium audio is way better.

BTW, you may have tried this, but I noticed that if I adjusted the right left balance a little towards the passenger door it helped the imaging a bit. Pulling the sound away from the drivers door.

Like I said in an earlier post I'm still glad I got it. The base system is really lacking. If you listen to music frequently while driving, have a discerning ear, and don't want aftermarket, (which can mess up the electronics in a BMW), I think it is a must. However, don't expect it to be more than it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #46
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan69 View Post
BTW, you may have tried this, but I noticed that if I adjusted the right left balance a little towards the passenger door it helped the imaging a bit. Pulling the sound away from the drivers door.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give this a try. I also found yesterday that turning the fader one or two clicks to the rear seemed to help a little with this too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #47
jc_lbc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318ti

Spent a couple hours in the car with it this evening. I'd say it's better then okay, maybe "above average." Logic 7 sounds like some ridiculous reverb delay effect—kinda like listening to music in a tunnel so I turned that off right away. I was able to EQ out some billowy bass and there was zero backfill at all so I pushed the fader one click backwards so there was some actual staging. I'm happy I bought it over the base system because if this is a big improvement over that, I would have been hella disappointed had I not opted for HK.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #48
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_lbc View Post
Spent a couple hours in the car with it this evening. I'd say it's better then okay, maybe "above average." Logic 7 sounds like some ridiculous reverb delay effect—kinda like listening to music in a tunnel so I turned that off right away. I was able to EQ out some billowy bass and there was zero backfill at all so I pushed the fader one click backwards so there was some actual staging. I'm happy I bought it over the base system because if this is a big improvement over that, I would have been hella disappointed had I not opted for HK.

I think it's really relative. If this is the best stereo you have ever had in a car, and your comparing it to the factory stereo in a 1986 Honda Civic, your going to think it's awesome. However, if you have had other premium cars with great audio systems it's going to seem just okay. That being said the upgrade is still worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #49
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I put more details in another posting regarding this topic, but I wanted to point out that the 1 series HK system, and older Logic 7 systems are missing 3 speakers from that of the 3 and 5 series setup. The center channel makes the biggest difference in my opinion especially when using the logic 7 effects, and the 1 series does not have it. The two rear door speakers are missing as well. Obviously so are the doors, but there is still room for side speakers in the back. This cold be overkill, but for the same upgrade price $875, you are getting 3 less speakers. There are additional spacial effect settings available on the 3 and 5 series systems as well. On the 1, it is just Logic 7 on or off.

I have noticed a significant difference in the sound quality of my 5 series system with Logic 7, to that of my HK equipped 128i coupe. I am not saying that this makes the HK system bad. I'm just pointing out that there is less bang for your buck in the 1 series audio upgrade, and I just thought people would want details like this when considering the upgrade. You always have to remember that the joy of the 1er, or any BMW for that matter, is really driving experience anyway.

More details in the posting below.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407210
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #50
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

On the one hand, they are different cars and there's no reason to expect their audio systems to be identical.

On the other hand, except for the identical prices...
Appreciate 0