BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
whuts4lunch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The Ultimate Stereo

First post.

I just purchased a new (demo) 2011 BMW 135i earlier this week with 7 speed DCT, Premium Package, iPod integration, and Sirius Radio. Titanium silver on black leather and aluminum trim.

I went with the lower grade stereo with the intent of putting in a high end aftermarket system. My budget is between 1k and 3k for the sound the system. Any ideas on what parts I should get? Will I potentially run into warranty issues?

Also, I live in South Florida but am moving to Atlanta in a month. Should I go with Best Buy for the install, since they have locations both here and in Atlanta?

Thanks for responses in advance.

*edited because I originally left out the what is IMO the most important feature

-Whuts4lunch

Last edited by whuts4lunch; 07-16-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

"High end" stereo and Best Buy are mutually exclusive.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
whuts4lunch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
best buy

Re the best buy comment:

Would Best Buy necessarily not be high end even if I bought the parts elsewhere? Or, would Best Buy only warranty their work if I bought the parts from them as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I would not go to Best Buy for your install. Boca and surrounding areas STINK of money, you should be able to find high-end reputable shop. Look around.

miiipilot
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
you will run into all warranty issues for all the relevant parts
      07-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

Do you plan on changing the head unit too? You could pay a stereo shop to rig up a fancy system for you with amplifiers, capacitors, crossovers, new speakers, subwoofer enclosure, whatnot but then you'd have an electrical frankenstein in your car. Not to mention all the antennas (GPS, sat radio, etc) that you'd have to run.

I don't like aftermarket systems at all because of their general incompatibility with the rest of the car - non-matching appearance, non-functioning steering wheel controls, non-functioning speed volume control, weird noise interference, startup thumps, etc. I've been through this with cars, and have resorted to dealing with OEM stereos. If it's truly awful or doesn't have iPod connectivity, I just put on headphones.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
not to sound like a dick, but why reinvent the wheel?? Just call MusicarNW, order your gear and go to one of the local shops they recommend for install. Nobody has the knowledge and experience in our cars as MusicarNW. Just pick up the phone and you can have a killer system in no time...no guessing if it will work, no guessing about how good it will sound, COMPLETE OEM integration to your BMW.

Best Buy = EPIC fail
      07-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

I see where you're coming from with getting the work done @ Best Buy, and they're better than some of the big chain stores, but a smaller high end shop is still the best bet. And with audio work, if it works for the 1st 1000 miles, then anything after that is probably going to be a component failing rather than a bad install. Any good shop will be able to replace a component and get you back in top shape. I wouldn't stress that aspect of the project at all.

As far as the comments from varsity... I don't know what/who he's gone through, but the only thing he listed that holds any weight is the speed sensitive volume.

What are your goals for the system?

-Matt
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Another option is Bavariansoundwerks.com. Their systems are more plug - n - play for the DIY option. They now have both a speaker kit and an amplifier kit. They also supply instructions.

Jim
      07-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Another option is Bavariansoundwerks.com. Their systems are more plug - n - play for the DIY option. They now have both a speaker kit and an amplifier kit. They also supply instructions.

Jim
last time i gave my opinion of BSW i got a nastygram from them threatening to delete my account and ban me from this forum. So will refrain from any sort of opinion of BSW. enough said

Last edited by mineo77; 07-21-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I bought my ex a CD changer a few years ago. (CD changer??? My, how times have changed!) I asked Circuit City to install it under the driver's seat in his CRV.

When we went to pick up the car, there was a puddle under it, but we didn't put 2 and 2 together. I saw a hole drilled in the floor, and asked about it. He said it was in the wrong place, but he didn't want to drill any more (cause he was afraid of drilling into lines under the floor), so he'd Velcro'd the unit in place instead.

As my partner pulled out, he had NO BRAKES. Fortunately, he noticed immediately, and was able to stop the vehicle.

In retrospect, it was VERY clear that the tech knew he'd drilled into the brake lines - no doubt whatsoever. But rather than say something, he was going to let my partner drive off with no brakes. Bottom line - they paid for the repair, and didn't charge for the install (duh!), but the tech kept his job. He should have been fired on the spot.
      07-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
VividRacingSale
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
I bought my ex a CD changer a few years ago. (CD changer??? My, how times have changed!) I asked Circuit City to install it under the driver's seat in his CRV.

When we went to pick up the car, there was a puddle under it, but we didn't put 2 and 2 together. I saw a hole drilled in the floor, and asked about it. He said it was in the wrong place, but he didn't want to drill any more (cause he was afraid of drilling into lines under the floor), so he'd Velcro'd the unit in place instead.

As my partner pulled out, he had NO BRAKES. Fortunately, he noticed immediately, and was able to stop the vehicle.

In retrospect, it was VERY clear that the tech knew he'd drilled into the brake lines - no doubt whatsoever. But rather than say something, he was going to let my partner drive off with no brakes. Bottom line - they paid for the repair, and didn't charge for the install (duh!), but the tech kept his job. He should have been fired on the spot.
Wow, that's scary. I've seen techs try to hide little stuff, but something like brakes... Wow. I would have given that guy a piece of my mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen White F10 M5 Comp

I worked at Best Buy years ago. Our mobile electronics install bay somehow ruined the entire dash console on a brand new Jaguar simply trying to install a new headunit. I wouldn't even consider it.

If it were me. I would simply upgrade the component speakers and add a 10" subwoofer with a box squeezed into the side of the trunk. Add a couple amps and you're all set.

If you want a quality place to do the install go to SAT in Fort Lauderdale. I've seen/heard nothing but good things.

You get what you pay for in car audio install. My dad had a handfree kit for his phone installed on the cheap in his Tahoe by the dealerships recommended shop. It always had a ton of feedback making it virtually useless and after a couple years his speakers started intermittently cutting out. I pulled apart the dash to find a rats nest of wire simply twisted together with semi-melted electricians tape holding it all together. This is shoddy work by backyard standards. A professional shop should never do work like this, and certainly not one recommended by a dealership.

My point is be careful who you get to do the work.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
KVMan50
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jet Black BMW 128i

I put BSW speakers in my car and I am pleased with the result.

Over a year ago I put BSW speakers in my 128 with "Professional" stereo and I am pleased with the results. No it is not high power as I didn't upgrade the stereo, but it a hell of a lot better than the stock speakers ever were. And no, I am not affiliated with BSW, I didn't get a deal, it is just my honest opinion. And a few others that have heard them. I posted an article about them and got bashed for having an opinion about something that I was pleased with. The complainers that bitch about BSW, how many of you have actually heard them and can honestly say they are not better than stock? I have done things to my cars that didn't neccesarily work out that well, but these speakers are not them. Great bang for the buck, steering wheel controls and all other controls still work as stock. Plus they do just plop right in. You can't say that about almost any other speakers on the market. BMW uses 3 mounting screws per speaker, not 4 like the vast majority of aftermarket speakers and the BSW speakers go right in. No installer required as anyone can do this with a bit of care. And again, I have nothing to gain from this. I just don't want people to get scared off BSW. The whole purchase experience was very good, prompt delivery, no hidden fees, well packaged equipment and real plug and play.
Good luck.
Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #15
whuts4lunch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I primarily listen to alternative rock and hip-hop. I need my system to have both quality and power.

I am thinking about getting new tweeters, door speakers, and 10" sub in trunk, and 3 amps (1 for tweeters/door speakers, 1 for under seats, 1 for subs).

I am considering sticking with the stock under-the-seat speakers. I imagine the under-the-seat speakers cost more to replace than the tweeters and door speakers and require more modification (cost) to the vehicle. I could also probably get a slightly less expensive amp to run the under-the-seat speakers if I didn't upgrade them, since the stock speakers probably can't handle all that much power. I am guessing I could save roughly $800 by sticking with stock underseats and slightly less powerful amp for underseats.

Would I really be missing out a lot by sticking with the stock under-the-seat speakers?
2011 135i DCT, Titanium Silver, Black Leather Interior, Premium Package, Aluminum Trim, JB4, ETS Charge Pipe, BMS Air Intake, Forgeline GA3 3-piece Forged Wheels 18", 18.5 front 19.5 rear, Fully Active Stereo with Audison Bit One Audio Processor, 2 PPI 500w Amps, Focal Door Speakers and Tweeters, Hertz 300W Subwoofer side trunk enclosure.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Contact member Technic, He's a car audio guru thats done a lot of installation in our cars. He lives in Ft. Lauderdale.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuts4lunch View Post

Would I really be missing out a lot by sticking with the stock under-the-seat speakers?
just all your midbass!
      07-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #18
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Actually the under seat "subs" make fantastic midbass drivers. Just replace the mids and tweeters, add a trunk sub and some real power and call it a day. Piece of cake.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

There are 2 threads worth reading through if you are wondering what to put into your car:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338597

and

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339041

Required reading. After these you should have a much better idea of what can be done, and have specific questions instead of general ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
whuts4lunch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Actually the under seat "subs" make fantastic midbass drivers. Just replace the mids and tweeters, add a trunk sub and some real power and call it a day. Piece of cake.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Do you have personal experience using the under the seat subs as midbasses? Also, what year and stock stereo did you have? My car has 6" under the seat subs, whereas apparently many come with 8".
2011 135i DCT, Titanium Silver, Black Leather Interior, Premium Package, Aluminum Trim, JB4, ETS Charge Pipe, BMS Air Intake, Forgeline GA3 3-piece Forged Wheels 18", 18.5 front 19.5 rear, Fully Active Stereo with Audison Bit One Audio Processor, 2 PPI 500w Amps, Focal Door Speakers and Tweeters, Hertz 300W Subwoofer side trunk enclosure.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

'10 M3 HiFI stereo so it had the 8s, which are a direct swap, BTW. I see them for sale from time to time in the M3 forum. You could also just call Ken at MusicarNW and have him hook you up. He's got a number of options available.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
whuts4lunch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
new stereo idea

The system Ken at MusicarNW recommends sounds amazing, but is a ton of money even if I install it myself, and I feel like I should be able to do a very decent system for much less.

Here is what I am thinking as far as a cost effective yet still very high-end system:
  • add JL Audio Clean Sweep (2 units) to normalize, optimize, and send the sound signals to the proper channels $330.
  • add a 5 channel amp for $350-$510. Possibly the Kenwood XR-5S
  • keep the stock door speakers
  • add tweeters for around $120-$200
  • use the stock under-seat speakers as mid-bass drivers
  • keep the stock rears
  • add a subwoofer and sub enclosure for around $400. Possibly a Kenwood 10" Thin Sub.
  • add sound padding in the cabin for roughly $120

I'd let the head unit power the rears and have the 5 channel amp do a channel for each door plus tweeter, a channel for each under seat mid bass, and a channel for the subwoofer.

Is there any way I can get the right audio signal to go to the right speakers without spending so much on the JL Clean Sweeps? I feel like there may be an equally effective yet cheaper way.
Appreciate 0