02-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #89
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The logistics of meeting the CAFE requirements are going to be a mystery to anyone outside of BMW AG.

However, how else to explain how all other 1-series get MY2012 designation post-March builds except for the 1M? And M3 carries on with MY2011 as well! In Canada, 1M gets MY2012 designation, maybe elsewhere in the world, too.

Well... in Germany they don't go by model year specs. When shopping for a car they go off of the exact build date(Bau Jahr; Bj). The Germans would say for example, that this car is Bj: 03.2011 and not a 2012 model.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #90
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Well... in Germany they don't go by model year specs. When shopping for a car they go off of the exact build date(Bau Jahr; Bj). The Germans would say for example, that this car is Bj: 03.2011 and not a 2012 model.

Dackel
Sure, makes sense. USA has model year designations for CAFE. Do you have emissions/fuel economy standards that change on Jan 1, 2012 in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #91
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
Your right, I should have elaborated a little more. My point being is that the new 1M shares many of the same components as its big brother M3 (E9x)does it not? Same chassis, shortened 3 inches. Same brakes and rotors etc... And it has better lap times than the previous gen M3 (E46)... Nonetheless, some may think this is comparing apples and oranges but I look at it like, they share the same bloodline and to some degree -components. Performance numbers obviously vary quite a bit from the E46, 1M, to the E9x but to ignore this car as being a "M" is absurd in itself...
Not everyone will drop $70k on a M3 without considering other brands in that price bracket (that will out-perform an M3)... I think what people are trying to say here is, that the new 1M is more affordable, it has good performance numbers, and it's an M
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #92
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
"unlimited but hard to get" what a contradictory statement. pfffff
The best post here was the very first ^. I liked the "double speak" comment as well. As much as I adore M cars BMW marketing folks really piss me off a lot and it is things like this that contribute to this. Heck I'm not even considering the car and it still pisses me off.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #93
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The best post here was the very first ^. I liked the "double speak" comment as well. As much as I adore M cars BMW marketing folks really piss me off a lot and it is things like this that contribute to this. Heck I'm not even considering the car and it still pisses me off.
It's what just turned me off of buying the car. I woke up yesterday fully intending to put down my deposit, but by the time I was going to call my dealer to give him my CC I was at the tipping point and so sick of the hype I decided not to. I'm going to let all this crap die down and see what really happens. These cars will still be getting delivered by years end, and by then I'd rather just buy a used one and not take the depreciation hit.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #94
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
It's what just turned me off of buying the car. I woke up yesterday fully intending to put down my deposit, but by the time I was going to call my dealer to give him my CC I was at the tipping point and so sick of the hype I decided not to. I'm going to let all this crap die down and see what really happens. These cars will still be getting delivered by years end, and by then I'd rather just buy a used one and not take the depreciation hit.
You might even be able to pick up a new one for a song...in the event that they make more than demand necessitates...ala ///M coupe of 2007/2008

Doesn't take away from the car if it doesn't sell well--the M coupe is an awesome car that my dad was able to get roughly $13K off sticker...I have also seen quite a few E9X M3s sitting on lots, and those are obviously in the awesome category too...it will be interesting to see how BMW goes about it, since no one is really sure if the economy is truly recovering or not...
      02-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #95
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

I find it very unlikely you will ever see a 1M sitting on a dealer lot. Maybe one in a showroom, at a very high volume dealer, but even that seems iffy.

BMW has done a ton of marketing for this car. Once the major US mags (Road & Track, Car/Driver, Motortrend) do a full color spread on this $50K rocket, you can expect interest to pick up even more. ~600 cars for the US only goes so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #96
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I find it very unlikely you will ever see a 1M sitting on a dealer lot. Maybe one in a showroom, at a very high volume dealer, but even that seems iffy.

BMW has done a ton of marketing for this car. Once the major US mags (Road & Track, Car/Driver, Motortrend) do a full color spread on this $50K rocket, you can expect interest to pick up even more. ~600 cars for the US only goes so far.
Last week I would of wholeheartedly agreed, now I'm not so sure. I doubt there will be very many on dealers lots, and if I want to find a deal like they were doing on Mcoupes after the hype died down I'd probably have to go out of state, but I'm willing to take the chance.

Besides I know these things will be hitting the used market before they are even done delivering the last of the new ones. I don't mind one that's got a few thousand on it. Saves me the stress of breaking in a car that I want to flog the moment I get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #97
dmanges
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe

Quote:
So will you make a thread called, "How I'm using a 1995 Nissan Sentra to NOT buy a 1m."?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #98
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanges View Post
So will you make a thread called, "How I'm using a 1995 Nissan Sentra to NOT buy a 1m."?
If it will make you feel better.

You really enjoy trolling me don't you?

Oops my mistake, it wasn't you that was previously trolling. Really what does it matter, I changed my mind and decided to wait. If you were joking, then sorry that I missed the humor. I just don't get why people seem to get so butt hurt over what people post on these forums. If for whatever reason you don't like someone or don't agree, just skip their posts.

Last edited by Augenbrauezug; 02-11-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #99
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

What you say might be true but there is a flip side to this coin. BMW did create this little rocket ship and is doing a ton of marketing on this car to excite new buyers. But, the thing you also have to consider is that this car comes with no sunroof (which is a bummer for most people), only comes in a six speed (which i heard the average BMW customer prefers automatic), only comes in 3 colors (one of which (VO) -you either love it or hate it), is a performance version of the 1 series (which most might consider a mid sized sedan before they would consider this - dare i say a Mercedes?), only comes with one interior color and is $50k (which some potential buyers would consider something more feasible for that kind of coin)... There are a lot of variables here so, anything is possible if you look at it from both perspectives. Even 1M's sitting on the lots 6 months down the road or pre-owned (a year from now?) for $5-8K off sticker?? They say, "patience is a virtue..."
We'll see if that holds true
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #100
aaron529
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

this all seems to b a marketing scheme. first they said it will be limited now its unlimited but hard to get? BMW executives will make sure to keep up with the demand, i ll tell you that much. Doesnt take a genius to realize that

2014 335i | 6MT | M Sport | M sport brakes | Nav | Harmon Kardon | 19in factory performance rims | JB4 | K40 radar detector and laser jammer
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #101
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Youre doing ED, you have the potential to get a built in discount. You arent even constrained to buying from your local dealer, you can order from the Alaskan dealership. Use those things to your advantage and get a deal on the car.

There is ONLY one way to guarantee you get one and thats to order one now. BESIDES the deposit is fully refundable and you walk away if you change your mind later.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #102
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What you say might be true but there is a flip side to this coin. BMW did create this little rocket ship and is doing a ton of marketing on this car to excite new buyers. But, the thing you also have to consider is that this car comes with no sunroof (which is a bummer for most people), only comes in a six speed (which i heard the average BMW customer prefers automatic), only comes in 3 colors (one of which (VO) -you either love it or hate it), is a performance version of the 1 series (which most might consider a mid sized sedan before they would consider this - dare i say a Mercedes?), only comes with one interior color and is $50k (which some potential buyers would consider something more feasible for that kind of coin)... There are a lot of variables here so, anything is possible if you look at it from both perspectives. Even 1M's sitting on the lots 6 months down the road or pre-owned (a year from now?) for $5-8K off sticker?? They say, "patience is a virtue..."
We'll see if that holds true
You point out things like no sunroof, 6MT, limited color choices, etc., as if normal 3-series buyers are cross-shopping this car. They are not. All of these "limitations" actually appeals to the performance car enthusiast.

You have to look at similar "limited" models of other cars to gauge demand. For example, limited edition performance versions of Vipers, Corvettes, Cobras, etc. Those always sell quickly and hold value. History has been a reference point on this, not trying to determine how the options on this car dissuade the interest from potential 135i or 335i buyers.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #103
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You point out things like no sunroof, 6MT, limited color choices, etc., as if normal 3-series buyers are cross-shopping this car. They are not. All of these "limitations" actually appeals to the performance car enthusiast.

You have to look at similar "limited" models of other cars to gauge demand. For example, limited edition performance versions of Vipers, Corvettes, Cobras, etc. Those always sell quickly and hold value. History has been a reference point on this, not trying to determine how the options on this car dissuade the interest from potential 135i or 335i buyers.
Thats true too SamS but those performance cars enthusiast will also consider other makes like (pre-owned) Vipers, Corvettes, Cobras at around $50K.
I can pick up a pre-owned '05 Viper for around $50k or a nice Vette... I think all sides should be considered here. Meaning, for those who put their deposits already on the 1M might be the rare lucky few that get one. And a loss for those who didnt.
Or, it could play the other way....
It can easily be argued both ways, yes?
I personally am not going to buy into all the hype and in the end, it might be my loss? or it might be my gain?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #104
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

You might be misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that buyers of the 1M are cross-shopping pre-owned Vipers, etc. I mean that you can use the history of what has happened with limited edition Vettes, Vipers, etc., to determine that limited run cars are rarely flops, and often command premiums.

Just watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions. They love to showcase performance cars that were available in limited numbers. In that respect, I don't think it can be "argued both ways". You'd have a tough time finding examples of limited-run performance cars that didn't hold demand and value extremely well.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #105
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

According to a recent Bimmerfile podcast a similar thing happened with the Mini Cooper S JCW GP limited edition run out stripped down model.

Apparently some examples were commanding original MSRP a couple of years after launch.

One can hope.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #106
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You might be misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that buyers of the 1M are cross-shopping pre-owned Vipers, etc. I mean that you can use the history of what has happened with limited edition Vettes, Vipers, etc., to determine that limited run cars are rarely flops, and often command premiums.

Just watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions. They love to showcase performance cars that were available in limited numbers. In that respect, I don't think it can be "argued both ways". You'd have a tough time finding examples of limited-run performance cars that didn't hold demand and value extremely well.
Ahh, I see what your saying SamS and it makes sense now, but the problem is, that this is not a limited edition car. Matter of fact, BMW doesnt even know what to call it. They said it would be a limited production run then they changed it and said, it would not be limited production but hard to get. How can you determine this car will be in high demand based off of that?
When I say argued both ways, i believe it can. You are comparing vette's and vipers to a BMW. Completely different animals there. Also, i happen to have first hand experience\knowledge that a limited edition Copperhead Viper (limited to only 300 pieces - each one numbered) doesnt command msrp these days. Not even over msrp... Fact is, you could pick one up for probably $15k less.... How do I know this? Because i used to own #180/300... Since then, i have seen the market slope down regardless of its Limited edition plaque on the console... Not all limited run cars will run across Barrett Jackson either. So, to define limited edition cars historical value based off of Barrett Jackson doesnt hold much foundation if you ask me... Thats just my .02 though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #107
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Youre doing ED, you have the potential to get a built in discount. You arent even constrained to buying from your local dealer, you can order from the Alaskan dealership. Use those things to your advantage and get a deal on the car.

There is ONLY one way to guarantee you get one and thats to order one now. BESIDES the deposit is fully refundable and you walk away if you change your mind later.
Yes, I understand this. I am still going to wait for the hype to go down. I want the car, badly, but I'm standing by my decision to wait and see how it all pans out. As badly as I want the car, I don't need it.

Plus I start clinicals end of this year and I'm not trying to make car payments at the same time. That's really my primary reason and why I had been so on the fence about it from the get go. When the car was announced I had no intention of buying it, but as the hype grew so did my interest in the car. I finally took a step back and realized what I was doing.

Oh and I'm still taking my vacation, just won't be driving my 1m around Europe. Bummer I know, but it was a little intimating taking my first European vacation and first European Delivery all in one go. From what I've heard about drivers in the EU, I'd be clinching my cheeks every time I passed through a city or on some of the narrow roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #108
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I don't want one anyway, so NBD.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #109
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, I see what your saying SamS and it makes sense now, but the problem is, that this is not a limited edition car.
I would consider it limited just in the sense that production will end in Dec. 2011.

I guess time will tell!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #110
JimBilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: waiting for the 1M

South,

How does the 60 cars per month fit into the "unlimited but hard to get?" Multiple people, including me, have been told by their SA's that there will be a max of about 60 cars per month for the US. Is it that BMW is not intentionally imposing that limit but capacity prevents them from manufacturing more? Or is the figure of 60 cars per month incorrect or did it change?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0