BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-21-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Rack rattle on part or full lock

1 er's, Sad to say that I haven't found any discussion on this as yet suggesting to me that I may be alone. Or hopefully I'm just useless at using the search function.

Since picking the car up new, it has had a distinct clunk/rattle seemingly from the steering rack but only when there was some lock on the wheel.

This would present itself most clearly when making a u turn and hitting a cats eye/ road reflector mid turn. This noise is not prevalent at all when wheel is straight or only slightly turned. So never hear it when driving at speed. But with significant lock, it's very noticable.

For some reason I thought it was normal but have never asked. Does this sound familiar to anyone here with a 1M?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Rubbing on the wheel well liner is pretty common, but that doesn't cause a rattle. Nonetheless, I'd pull the front wheels for a close examination.

A rattle suggests that something is loose in the front end. If you can't identify the cause and the car is still under warranty, I'd bring it to the dealer.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks MDor, I should have clarified, there is no rattle at all unless I hit some road inperfection like a road reflector or significant ripple in the surface, otherwise, it's very normal.

Feel it may be acceptable somehow. Just interested if others have experienced it or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Mine does the exact same thing, and has done since I got the car nearly 3 years ago. When there is some lock on, if one wheel takes a pot hole, normally the one on the inside of the turn, then there is a noticeable clunk through the steering wheel. Feels like backlash being taken up somehow. Definitely not a rub with the wheel arch liner (got the increased clearance ones anyway). Dealer can find nothing wrong, it's logged in case it gets worse, but it hasn't. I even had the guy who did my geo crawl all over it and he found nothing, nothing lose or damaged. When up on jacks if you sharply thumped the side of one tyre with your fist, from underneath you could see the steering column almost recoil, and reproduce the noise. But there seems to be no play in the rack, and it's absolutely fine during regular driving.
I'm just accepting it now as a characteristic of the car. Be interested if you find out anything else.

Pete
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Added it provisionally to issue #9 of the 1M issues log sticky:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Also compare with issue #12.
      12-30-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply Pete. Sounds precisely what mine is doing. It doesn't really bother me and I put it down to something which is normal with the car. It's good to hear that it's likely a normal characteristic of the car.

I'll likely not have it looked at unless it seems to get worse, however in over two years it hasn't, so all fine.

But thanks again for the reply. It's helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Are you sure its the rack? Maybe its coming from the rear? IF its at/or near full lock one thing could be your lsd(diff) clutches. They will be working harder on very tight turns, like backing up or parking. Do your diff have the +FM fluid? I bet not.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Definitely the rack, or steering collumn, a front wheel has to hit something, pothole or road reflector whilst on lock. You can feel a small shock through the steering wheel, that occurs with an audible knock. Coming up to the big service soon so I will mention it again but expect the usual no fault found, couldn't reproduce it, etc. etc.

Pete
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep definitely from the front, and definitely only when the wheel is on lock and hits something.

Tried all sorts of scenarios and I'm certain. I'll have them look at it also at the next service but won't be expecting much.

I'm surprised there are no others that have experienced this though.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Perhaps a failing upper shock mount.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I think this is pretty normal. The tension rod and wishbone do not move on a fixed axis. They are allowed to twist as the wheel is turned. It's kind of hard to explain, but the next time you have your front wheel off, grab the control arms and twist them. You will see that they can be rocked back and forth within the travel allowed by the spherical bearing/bushings. What I think you are hearing is the control rods moving to there maximum allowable travel, which is only audible when you hit a bump at full lock.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
ChrisCote
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Loose power steering rack bolts or failing upper shock mounts are my guesses.

Look at your rubber upper shock mounts and see if you can see any damage
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:38 AM   #13
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

Resurrecting this thread.

Has anybody found the real cause and solution to this rattle?

My front right-side is clunking only when turning the car and hitting a sharp bump such as road reflectors, entrance gate rails, rumble strips, etc.

I have the car on a lift and if I lock the steering either to the left or right then give it a sudden tug toward the direction of the lock, I can feel, hear, and see the part circled red in the picture has some play. It is not the linkage, I made sure to tighten all the linkage torx bolts. The movement is coming from inside the steering rack.

Also checked the tie rods are in good condition. The front wheels doesn't have any play at all until full lock then there's the play/wiggle/clunk.

Any insights from fellow 1M owners? Any of you have gotten the rack replaced and managed to fix this problem?

Thanks!
Attached Images

02-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #14
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mega revival!

Just for an update, I ended up having the dealer look at it and they felt it was normal, I've since left it and it hasn't become any worse and doesn't really bother me now.

What I can't understand about this car though is that I've had it for nearly 7 years and I can't bring myself to update it. Never kept a car for more than 3 in the past. In fact bought a brand new Subaru Liberty/Legacy 3.0RspecB with the STI box, Bilstiens blah blah, and had to sell it after a year it was so unsatisfying.

But this little critter......... haven't even thought about it. Now that's a problem bigger than the rack rattle. heh heh
Appreciate 4
Tornado1M1201.50
10"4946.00
1'M Blue251.00
BadakVT77.50
      02-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #15
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
Mega revival!

Just for an update, I ended up having the dealer look at it and they felt it was normal, I've since left it and it hasn't become any worse and doesn't really bother me now.

What I can't understand about this car though is that I've had it for nearly 7 years and I can't bring myself to update it. Never kept a car for more than 3 in the past. In fact bought a brand new Subaru Liberty/Legacy 3.0RspecB with the STI box, Bilstiens blah blah, and had to sell it after a year it was so unsatisfying.

But this little critter......... haven't even thought about it. Now that's a problem bigger than the rack rattle. heh heh
Hey, thanks for getting replying!
Definitely one of the most fun cars I've had the pleasure to drive. I just got it a few months back and trying to fix all the quirks to me it perfect again.
Anyway, an update on the steering rack clunk, I think I've managed to fix it. What I did was to tighten the rack preload about 1/4 of a turn. The steering is noticeably tighter, more direct, and the clunk is gone. I'll put some more miles see if it's gone for good.
      02-27-2019, 06:46 AM   #16
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You can do that? I wasn't aware.

Be sure to let us know how it goes after you've used it for a while. Does it tighten the steering and slow down the return to centre at all?
Appreciate 0