BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Seat covers

I have leatherette in my E46 and the left side of the driver's seat is all cracked. The dealer repaired it once for free but it didn't hold up very well.

Can anyone recommend any good seat covers? My 135 has leatherette too and I want to try and avoid the same situation, or at least delay it.

I need something that matches the biege leatherette. And ideally something that breathes well and doesn't look too tacky.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

The leatherette shouldn't get cracked if it's taken care of properly.. Seat covers are not necessary to prevent cracking.
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Brings up the point... Not only is leather far more duarable, better looking and better smelling, but it holds you better than leatherette, which is slippery. I couldn't imagine getting the car without leather, and that's before this thread which revealed to me the leatherette actually cracks! I'd much rather have cloth than leatherette. And if I did get leatherette, I'd immediately buy two front fabric Recaro seats.

Hey...this is my 135th post!
      03-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

I have had leather. I do not like it. Clean , clean , clean. Treat , treat , treat. Buff , buff , buff. I like cloth. Can't get it. I will not pay $1450 for something I do not want. Leatherette with sheepskin inserts for me. YOMV
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgetaboutit View Post
I have leatherette in my E46 and the left side of the driver's seat is all cracked. The dealer repaired it once for free but it didn't hold up very well.

Can anyone recommend any good seat covers? My 135 has leatherette too and I want to try and avoid the same situation, or at least delay it.

I need something that matches the biege leatherette. And ideally something that breathes well and doesn't look too tacky.
I have read elsewhere on this site that leatherette was more durable :iono: its unfortunate that it cracked...i was hoping that it wouldnt do that...how long did you have the car before the dealer repaired it once?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The cracks in the left side of the driver's seat developed towards the end of my third year of ownership. One of the guy's in the service department tried to say that the rivets in demin jeans causes that type of wear. Except I don't wear any jeans that have rivets (I think they stopped using rivets in jeans in about 1985).

The most annoying part of it was how completely clueless they were about repairing leatherette. My service guy acted like he didn't even know if leatherette could be repaired.

The irony is that besides those cracks in the driver's seat, the leatherette has held up incredibly well over nearly 6 years. My 50 lb. huskie rides in the back a lot, and occassionally I don't put a blanket in the back seat, and there isn't so much as a scratch on that back seat (and the dog's nails are almost never trimmed).

So I think in many ways the leatherette is very durable, but there was a certain type of wear on that left side of the driver's seat - the constant getting in and out of the car - that didn't hold up that well. It is just on the left bolster, and they are sports seats, so the bolster is higher and gets more wear than a normal seat would. That's actually the big reason I didn't bother with the sports seats in my 135.
Appreciate 0