E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2006 BMW 325i vs. 1980 Camaro Z28 on a track....

12-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #23
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoo
Not necessarily, if he gets in front, his position may make it hard to get around him on brakes or in the corner.

Not in Z28 from the 80s Not without extensive suspension mods. In fact he'll have to slow down a lot in the corners to avoid oversteer, which also means that unless he's upgraded his brakes, he'll cook them after a few laps. So worst case scenario, he'll get passed after a few laps by our intrepid Findtom.

And if he did modify the car extensively, well, then, it will be an interesting race to watch. Let us know where and when, I'll bring the cooler
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #24
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Not necessarily, if he gets in front, his position may make it hard to get around him on brakes or in the corner.

I would certainly hope it's not actual racing, but a school type event where you're both on the track, and if you're faster you get waived by, and if you're slower you just fall farther and farther back
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #25
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I would certainly hope it's not actual racing, but a school type event where you're both on the track, and if you're faster you get waived by, and if you're slower you just fall farther and farther back
I am looking at this as a racer. If you want to get past me, you have to earn it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #26
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
I am looking at this as a racer. If you want to get past me, you have to earn it.

I'm not willing to risk sheetmetal damage, and I'm sure the OP isn't either

especially when you can find out who's faster without risking damage to either car
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #27
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
A good mix of cars would be fun. Everyone could go around a few times, then compare each car's best lap time like on Top Gear.

This could be a pretty good event. By going around the various car boards I bet we could get a pretty good assortment of cars going.

Something to think about....
That’s a great idea. Find some cool/nice people on other boards with competing cars (IS350,G35) that would like to get together for an afternoon of comparisons. Gives everyone a chance to ride in other vehicles for a few laps. And in the end the better car and better driver would win something... like tacky fuzzy golden mirror dice :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #28
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Exactly, it has to be a fun day, gentleman's racing. Tom ain't out to prove something, like really who cares in the end? But it's a fun concept and if we could bring in a few other brands who want to win some fuzzy dice, then we do it! The Ultimate Sport/Luxo Stock car race. I'd like to see how Benoit's fancy 330 Sport would do against a plain jane auto xi 325!

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #29
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Exactly, it has to be a fun day, gentleman's racing. Tom ain't out to prove something, like really who cares in the end? But it's a fun concept and if we could bring in a few other brands who want to win some fuzzy dice, then we do it! The Ultimate Sport/Luxo Stock car race. I'd like to see how Benoit's fancy 330 Sport would do against a plain jane auto xi 325!

I have seen Benoitch drive, and I have a feeling that that certain stock 325 ix would not be doing so well, what especially with the girlie all season tires and all...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #30
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
I have seen Benoitch drive, and I have a feeling that that certain stock 325 ix would not be doing so well, what especially with the girlie all season tires and all...
That's cool. Stew and I with our girly 16" wheels will be the like the "seabiscuits" of the race.

At the start line I will turn to Benoit and tell him that my small girly 16" wheels will look alot smaller in a minute.... then I will get annihilated by him on sheer acceleration.

This is true about sheetmetal damage. If I were to do this it would be for fun. I'm not about to run through a set of tires/brake pads in a day.... or for that matter skid off the track and crash my baby.
I'm no fun, I know.

I think there's a new track opening around Ottawa somewhere. If we were to do this (and I would hesitate to start planning this until much closer to the summer) maybe some Ottawa members would come too... incuding maybe a 911 to put us all to shame.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #31
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Thanks Bimmerista, but I was kindda laid back that day ... waiting for you guys . Note that I was the only one not witnessing the people starring at us ! Also, I'm such a coward afraid of getting tickets that I rarely get above 125 km/h (unlike you cruising at 160 !! ). The problem is that I keep that speed in exits and access ramp as well

I'm getting too old for these kind of things. I favor my metal before any thrill (like B.B.king sings so well ... "The Thrill is Gone").

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #32
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
That's cool. Stew and I with our girly 16" wheels will be the like the "seabiscuits" of the race.

At the start line I will turn to Benoit and tell him that my small girly 16" wheels will look alot smaller in a minute.... then I will get annihilated by him on sheer acceleration.
... until I hit the wall in the first cornering

Quote:
I think there's a new track opening around Ottawa somewhere. If we were to do this (and I would hesitate to start planning this until much closer to the summer) maybe some Ottawa members would come too... incuding maybe a 911 to put us all to shame.
Can we expect you to miss that one also, exspecially since you intend on organizing it

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #33
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yeah, I am a Bahnburner, but I feel the need for some of those BMW driver courses before keeping my HWY speeds in corners

If we do it in the summer, which is not a bad idea, I would want to take my BMW Advanced II at the least before we T off. I have never tracked before.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #34
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Looks like Benoit and Tom have experience in the "metal" Department, eh?

Seabiscuit, I like that!

And what's with cruising over 160, Bimmerista, when you're not even broken in yet????

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:07 AM   #35
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitch
Can we expect you to miss that one also, exspecially since you intend on organizing it
Haha.... that's why I said I hesitate!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #36
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Seabiscuit, I like that!

And what's with cruising over 160, Bimmerista, when you're not even broken in yet????

Actually i am told it was 170 for like a nanosecond (160 is the max break-in speed ).

And I swear I didn't mean it. I have not gone over 150 Km/h since then, scout's honour
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #37
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=benoitch
Can we expect you to miss that one also, exspecially since you intend on organizing it [/QUOTE]

LOL

To ensure compliance, we'll all have to go out with Findtom the night before and then we'll all get up in the morning and make sure he comes with us..............
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #38
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Actually i am told it was 170 for like a nanosecond (160 is the max break-in speed ).

And I swear I didn't mean it. I have not gone over 150 Km/h since then, scout's honour
So ssam and I were the lucky ones to witness that "rare" event !? ... and live to tell the tale .. Besides we were crazy ourselves to follow you. But I suspect ssam was lagging a bit, maintaining his speed more consistently than you. But remember, the important thing during breaking is to vary speed

As for sheetmetal, you already know the kind of experience I have with it ... not about to do the same with a 60k car !

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #39
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Oh yes,

I have been varying my speed as much as I can. I also realized that unless I cruise on the HWY, I will have no need for gear numero 6 on my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #40
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:

Seabiscuit, I like that!

I bet my insurance company would love to hear about this idea!!!

I wonder if they'd even cover a "track" accident claim. Jeez, between that and all my speeding tickets I really would have to take the bus.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #41
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
LOL

To ensure compliance, we'll all have to go out with Findtom the night before and then we'll all get up in the morning and make sure he comes with us..............
Okay, wake up calls starting at 6am.

Actually, the problem last time if you recall was not getting up... but rather that I had to abandon my car in the plateau and pick it up the next day. I'm usually pretty reliable, I swear!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #42
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

We'll cab it.

Or we'll just have a slumber party at Findtom's.......No, wait, that is too metrosexual for me,

We'll cab it to some pub located near the Jacques Cartier bridge and drink Canadian beer until our bladders explode, then we'll probably think it is a good idea to walk all the way back to Findtom's place, get hypothermia half way back and end up in a hospital with pneumonia the next day.

OK, .....someone else come up with a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #43
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I have photographic evidence of Benoit speeding ahead of the crowd to get away from the Green Sonata tailgating Sam!

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #44
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh yes,

I have been varying my speed as much as I can. I also realized that unless I cruise on the HWY, I will have no need for gear numero 6 on my car.
... at the price of lot more fuel consumption .

Appreciate 0