BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2023, 04:18 AM   #1
ELF
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

e82 N52 RHD Exhaust Manifold removal

Hi Guys,

I am halfway through replacing exhaust manifold gaskets on stock exhaust manifolds for my e82 125i N52 engine, manual right hand drive car.

I was able to remove the rear manifold ok, but the front manifold does not want to slide out, hits on bell-housing, engine mount bracket and I think steering column (right hand drive you see). What do other people do? Do I need to jack the engine up and remove the RHS engine bracket to tilt engine?, Support engine from the top and lower the Subframe with everything connected just enough, can i just remove the steering rack and let it hang - does that give me just enough space? Or try and replace gaskets without removing the manifold from its little prison?

Any tips??

Cheers friends.

EDIT: you totally just have to release the in-car steering column adjuster lever, so the steering wheel flops about, then remove the two bolts that hold the steering column onto the sub-frame. Then you can slide the rack out and and around a bit to give enough clearance to slide the exhaust manifolds out around the engine mount. - happy dayz
Attached Images

Last edited by ELF; 03-23-2023 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0