BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupé

Garage List
How do we know they really changed the oil?

I took my car in for an annual inspection and oil change about 2 weeks ago. Today I checked it with the BT scanner and it said the engine oil was at 35% and has only been changed once...which should have been from my break-in oil change. Anyone have any ideas on how I can confirm their service? I did look at the SA's invoice breakdown and it was all correct but how do I know its real?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I spoke with my SA when I had my yearly oil change done and they stated that they will not reset the CBS (condition based service) count down for the oil. I was at 11,800 miles when they changed it and it said I still had 4,400 miles left. I am thinking they want to get an in-between oil change in, which I will be doing anyway, but I don't think it is covered under the warranty since it was already changed for the year. I am not sure but I have to take my car in since the LED strip in my right tail light went out last night so I will ask about it when I take it in.

As for your question about if they actually changed the oil, you will just have to trust them. You can also pull the drain plug and see if the oil is still clean but that might not work since you had it changed two weeks ago. That is unless you barely drove the car.
      08-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

See now, if we only had a dipstick!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
See now, if we only had a dipstick!
Very true.
      08-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I spoke with my SA when I had my yearly oil change done and they stated that they will not reset the CBS (condition based service) count down for the oil. I was at 11,800 miles when they changed it and it said I still had 4,400 miles left. I am thinking they want to get an in-between oil change in, which I will be doing anyway, but I don't think it is covered under the warranty since it was already changed for the year.
Your SA is correct. My 1 year change came up at 13,700 miles and 3 months later, it was changed based on mileage at 19,000. Both were covered under the BMW maintenance - no charge.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Your SA is correct. My 1 year change came up at 13,700 miles and 3 months later, it was changed based on mileage at 19,000. Both were covered under the BMW maintenance - no charge.

Tom
Wow. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

Tom
It appears mine is the same way. I just had my oil changed at 1 year and 12000 miles and my indicator is saying that the oil needs to be changed in 4000 more miles or next April.
      08-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
It appears mine is the same way. I just had my oil changed at 1 year and 12000 miles and my indicator is saying that the oil needs to be changed in 4000 more miles or next April.
Right - which is why you should never have them reset the counter until you have the mileage (not time) based change, so that the next one will be covered under the BMW free maintenance.

Incidentally, when my countdown got down to 1,000 miles, I received a phone call from my dealer to schedule the oil change. Apparently with BMW Assist, the car reports that service is coming due to your dealer. I wonder what else is reported??

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
theanhdy
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

I did my own oil change after break in period at ~2K miles and another one at ~8K miles. I scanned the car with BT prior to taking it in for service and the CBS (condition based service) for brake fluid was 1% and 68% for oil. Today, at ~14K miles, I took my car to the dealer for the first free oil change in 2 years of ownership. They performed a brake fluid flush. I scanned the car using my BT cable and the brake fluid is at 100%, but the oil is still at 68%. The service printout stated that they changed the oil but now I'm wondering if they just topped it off.

Last edited by theanhdy; 02-15-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I usually mark things with a paint pen or similar if I want to be certain some dealer work is performed. They only get one chance with me. I realize that this may not be practical for many people but it works for me.
Exactly! We think the same. Use some touch up paint on the drain plug and on the filter housing if you want. If the paint seal is not broken, than you know for sure the work was not performed. Of course some unscrupulous tech could just crack open and retighten and never perform the work though. But that would be really deceptive and low. Otherwise, the tech could easily say he was busy and forgot. Still very much wrong though.

Speaking of really low scum type work. I had a new Lotus Elise that I took to the Lotus dealer and wanted my transaxle fluids changed to Redline fluid. I brought in the fluids and when I got the car back I had one half quart bottle returned to me. I thought that is nice the tech. gave back the left over. I did not think much about it until I was jacking up the car and looked at the drain and fill plugs. Well the paint seals were not broken at all. I said shit that ahole tech never changed the fluid. Keep in mind you have to take off an aluminum underbody panel with lots of screws to see this. So most people would not be able to tell the difference. I called up the service manager and blasted him. Needless to say I got more than compensated for this screw up and deception.

So unless you watch them or some how can verify the fluid is new and changed properly, you do have to some times just trust the techs and management.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Why Knot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If you don't trust the dealer to do the work requested, you should find a new dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Jesus, paranoid anyone?? What does a dealership gain by making you believe they changed your oil and not actually doing it? A few quarts of oil? So you really think a car dealership would risk lawsuits, fines, closure, etc by not changing your oil? 7qts of oil and a filter run a consumer ~$70. The dealer likely pays half that. I'm seriously worked about everyone who posted on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23 View Post
Jesus, paranoid anyone?? What does a dealership gain by making you believe they changed your oil and not actually doing it? A few quarts of oil? So you really think a car dealership would risk lawsuits, fines, closure, etc by not changing your oil? 7qts of oil and a filter run a consumer ~$70. The dealer likely pays half that. I'm seriously worked about everyone who posted on this thread.
Wow what a response. Please don't get worked up, just keep your head in the sand.

I just gave you an example (above) of that very problem happening. No I don't believe "reputable" dealers would have a deliberate policy of screwing customers like this. But does it occasionally happen - sure does! It can happen by accident or you can get a rogue lazy ass tech like I did.

Please don't hate us for posting in this thread. Thanks.
Appreciate 0