BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Trying to diagnose a rattling noise in front right, please help!

I have an annoying rattling noise coming from the front right, it seems to act up more when it's colder and damp or raining. My first thought is a sway bar end link, however these are brand new, and the rattle happens even when my car is IDLE and parked. If I rev the engine slightly (no more than 2k rpm) while parked I hear the noise, so now I'm thinking an exhaust hanger or heat shield, something that vibrates when I rev the engine. I noticed if I go for a drive then shut the car off, if I turn it back on the noise is more apparent and noticeable.

Any help is very appreciated. I have had this noise on and off for a year and its gotten worse. Was at a track event 2 weeks ago and had no issues and didn't hear the noise there even though it was present driving around the street at the time. What are some basics I can check? I have a set of rhino ramps and plan to take the wheels off to take a look before my next event this weekend. Hoping it's not something serious! Thanks as always!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Check if you secondary O2 sensors are loose.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Check if you secondary O2 sensors are loose.
I will take a look at that, thanks.

I was digging around online and found this video, this is the sound I'm hearing and at the same RPMs, also happens just driving over larger bumps at a cruising RPM

There is no solution posted on this video so I'm still looking. Coming up with possibilities such as a loose heat shield or exhaust hanger so far.
Appreciate 0