BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
bthig11
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Tires for a 2011 128i

My 2011 128i is in need of new tires and it's on the stock 205/50-17 squared from factory. How do I know how wide I can go? I'm seeing I can go staggered with 225 in the rear, but I see that it makes the handling a bit worse. I use the car as a daily and non runflat will be crucial bc of the ride quality. I read that the Connys sound solid.

I want to go wider than 205, so can I go maybe 215 or 225 all around? Would there be any modding to anything to make that happen? Any recommended tire brands? I know a good bit about cars but I haven't had to put tires on one yet so it's all new to me. I'm mainly asking to be sure wider tires will fit on my stock rims.

Thanks for any advice.

Also, I get an occasional rough start? Could this be coils or plugs? It's mainly noticeable when I start it up again after parking it and turning it off briefly. Smooths out after about 4 or 6 seconds. Been doing it for a little while now.

Last edited by bthig11; 06-24-2020 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: added question
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

There's nothing wrong with a staggered setup. It's not optimal for handling (understeer), but it doesn't sound like you're heading to any track days. The staggered factory setup comes with a wider 7.5" rear wheel. You have 7" all around. 225 in the rear would be a little pinched on a 7" wheel, but it should work. I would think you could run 215 in front on the stock rims, but someone with personal experience should chime in. If you tried to run 225s in the front with the stock offset, I think you will likely have rubbing issues. If you're willing to get new wheels, then everything changes.

Firestone Indys are a great budget summer tire, but you might want to look at a decent all-season if you will drive through snow. Continental ExtremeContact DWS are a good A/S tire, but they aren't cheap. I have a set mounted on my stock wheels which I sometimes use if it's too cold for my summer tires.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

i have a square set up of 225-45-17. Style 256. haven't had any issues.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
bthig11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer23rm View Post
i have a square set up of 225-45-17. Style 256. haven't had any issues.
How long have you had them? Does the 45 aspect ratio make the difference in rubbing and not?

I also have the 256 style wheels so this is good info to know
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #5
bthig11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
There's nothing wrong with a staggered setup. It's not optimal for handling (understeer), but it doesn't sound like you're heading to any track days. The staggered factory setup comes with a wider 7.5" rear wheel. You have 7" all around. 225 in the rear would be a little pinched on a 7" wheel, but it should work. I would think you could run 215 in front on the stock rims, but someone with personal experience should chime in. If you tried to run 225s in the front with the stock offset, I think you will likely have rubbing issues. If you're willing to get new wheels, then everything changes.

Firestone Indys are a great budget summer tire, but you might want to look at a decent all-season if you will drive through snow. Continental ExtremeContact DWS are a good A/S tire, but they aren't cheap. I have a set mounted on my stock wheels which I sometimes use if it's too cold for my summer tires.
What would having the wheel be pinched do exactly? Like pinched against bodywork or something else?

I can also get those continentals for about 420 (not including install) after their promotional $70 rebate right now, do you think I should jump on these now?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #6
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

The tire is being pinched at the center because a 7" wheel is a little narrow for a 225 tire. It's still in the acceptable range, but you may have more sidewall flex than you would have with a wider wheel using the same tire. It's not something to worry about, just not ideal.

The Continental DWS are a pretty good all-season tire.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:32 AM   #7
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthig11 View Post
How long have you had them? Does the 45 aspect ratio make the difference in rubbing and not?

I also have the 256 style wheels so this is good info to know
have not had any rubbing. since i got the car. previous owner had them on. so over 2 years now.
      06-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

You could keep the stock size and run 205/50/17 all around with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires. I have them on my car and it’s a great tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #9
tommyt2010
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128

I stuck with the stock 205/50/17 - Continental ExtremeContact DWS06
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #10
Eastendbimmer
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i

Quote:

If i could pick up on this question, what would be the max size on the staggered sport 17's? they come with 205front/215?back im due tires soon but wanted the feels more flush but without rubbing, was thinking 12.5/15 spacers or 12.5 all round and thicker tires. Anybody care to chime in with a thought?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Max tire width is dependent on your sidewall height and wheel width. The taller the sidewall, the more it can flex for a smaller rim. I'm going off Tire Rack's recommendations, but the maximum tire width they recommend for a 7" wheel is a 225/45/17. That's keeping roughly the same tire diameter as stock. The problem is that a 245/40/17 would be needed in the rear to keep the same diameter, but it is not recommended on less than an 8" wheel. You could fit a 245/45/17 tire on a 7.5" wheel because of the taller sidewall height, but then your rear tires are taller than your fronts.

I would go with a 225 square setup. It allows you to rotate your tires, provides more neutral handling, and the rear tires will still be functionally wider because they're on a wider rim.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #12
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

Quote:
I would go with a 225 square setup. It allows you to rotate your tires, provides more neutral handling, and the rear tires will still be functionally wider because they're on a wider rim.
If you use this method and rotate them, the rears will become functionally narrower... Not that this is necessarily a bad thing with the stock handling on these cars.
      01-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven5 View Post
If you use this method and rotate them, the rears will become functionally narrower... Not that this is necessarily a bad thing with the stock handling on these cars.
Doh! Forgot about that. I think you could still rotate them, but you're right. The difference is minimal, around 2/10" wider on the 7.5" wheel.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #14
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

I have no issues running 17 x 8" wheels with 225/45-17 all around. My goals were to be able to rotate front to back and use 17" diameter. My 18" set up was way to harsh, even without RFTs, which sent me back to my 'most seasons' set up. I do have a winter set up as well.

I researched quite a bit and found there are a lot of E46 applications that will work; ET47 is a good starting point. I use spacers (I think they are 12mm) in the rear to push the tires out toward the edge of the wheel opening. They stay on with the winter set up as well. That is 17 x 7" with 205/50-17, but I don't recall the offset on these. Those wheels were transferred from my E46 M3 to the current car, and they had come with the M3 when I bought it. Thus, I don't really know what brand or any other specifics about the wheels other than 17 x 7".
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0