BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Unhappy Help, 135i engine doesn't start

Hi everyone,

First post for me, I registered because I couldn't find any threads that would help me with my problem and it looks like quite a lot of you have a lot of experience with these cars.

In short, I was away on a business trip for 4 days, and yesterday morning couldn't get the car to start. After I insert my key and press the Start/Stop button, the fuel gauge moves to almost full but the engine makes no sound whatsoever and doesn't start. With the driver door open, it gives me the exclamation mark that means that the engine is on but the driver's door is open (so it seems to me that it thinks the engine is on?), but other than that there are no errors or warnings or anything.

I have read about the HPFP and associated problems, but my car has never had a delay in starting, so unless these things are known for failing suddenly without showing any symptoms prior, then I guess that's not very likely.

Could you give me any tips or tricks that I should try and things that I should check? Getting it towed will be supremely difficult because it is on a small street in between buildings where a tow truck will not even be able to squeeze through, and I'm also hoping there's something I can do myself without having to resort to such drastic measures.

Thanks a lot,
Fed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Manual or automatic?

If manual, make sure that you press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and try again.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Ah, sorry, should have mentioned that - automatic.

If I don't press the brake on the auto then it doesn't start and shows the corresponding icon on the dash, but that isn't happening in this case, so I assume I'm pressing the brake hard enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
slim_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM E-88

What year is it? I hear some newer ones may have starter issues which might be the case if its not turning at all.
If you are under warranty then you should have road side assist. I'd call them to come figure it out.
Goodluck

|move over... please|
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

It's a 2008 model, with about 83K km on it (52k miles).

So I'm out of warranty and I am not eligible for roadside assist either. =(

Thanks for the good luck, looks like I'll be needing it. At this point I guess I will just ditch the car till the ice melts, and see if it starts then.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500

I know on my 08 w/ auto that if i do not press HARD on the brake pedal, it wont start. You've probably tried, but make sure you are applying a bit of pressure to the brake while starting.
or maybe your battery is too low to start the car, but has enough "juice" to work the guages. Might want to check battery as well. best of luck-
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed P View Post
It's a 2008 model, with about 83K km on it (52k miles).

So I'm out of warranty and I am not eligible for roadside assist either. =(

Thanks for the good luck, looks like I'll be needing it. At this point I guess I will just ditch the car till the ice melts, and see if it starts then.

You can ALWAYS call BMW's Roadside assistance guys. Its just that you might have to pay them something if your car is out of warranty. But it is worth asking them to come and the costs.

So I am a bit confused. Does your engine crank/turn over but not catch? Or do you get no cranking at all, and just the gauges light up. ???

I would at least move the shifter from PARK to DRIVE and then back to PARK. It might be that selector switch. And like someone said above... press on teh brake pedal real hard and try starting the engine.

Have you tried jump starting your car? Your battery might be on its way out. Just be carefull whe jump starting to make SURE the cables are going to the correct terminals PLUS, PLUS and NEG to NEG.

Lastly... are you sure there is fuel in your car? Maybe someone stole your fuel?

Dack
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
J0E
Year One of the 1
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT 'vert

My votes for dead battery. Same thing happened with my wife's X3. It seemed to have enough battery because the interior lights were on and the gauges worked but the engine wouldn't even click, let alone turn over. Sure enough, we jumped it and all was well. I honestly thought something was wrong with the starter at first because every other car I have owned at least clicked and the lights flickered when I turned the key no matter how dead the battery was.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will first try really hard with the brake since that is obviously easy to try and then move onto the battery, I honestly thought since the a/c and the gauges etc are all working that it couldn't be the battery. Is there something else to consider in terms of jump starting the engine, other than PLUS to PLUS and NEG to NEG? Like what car I'm trying from, what cables to use, etc? I have a Mitsubishi Lancer at my disposal I can use.

I've already tried moving the selector from P to D, it does allow itself to be moved but doesn't fix anything I'm afraid. In terms of fuel, the indicator moves to show almost full when I press the Start button so I think we can rule that out. As for cranking, nope, it doesn't even try.

As for roadside assistance, I'm afraid we literally don't have that service in this country, so I'm out of luck there.

One other comment - the steering wheel does not move either. There is some slack in the motion so it's not totally hard locked but I can't get the wheels to move.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will first try really hard with the brake since that is obviously easy to try and then move onto the battery, I honestly thought since the a/c and the gauges etc are all working that it couldn't be the battery. Is there something else to consider in terms of jump starting the engine, other than PLUS to PLUS and NEG to NEG? Like what car I'm trying from, what cables to use, etc? I have a Mitsubishi Lancer at my disposal I can use.

I've already tried moving the selector from P to D, it does allow itself to be moved but doesn't fix anything I'm afraid. In terms of fuel, the indicator moves to show almost full when I press the Start button so I think we can rule that out. As for cranking, nope, it doesn't even try.

As for roadside assistance, I'm afraid we literally don't have that service in this country, so I'm out of luck there.

One other comment - the steering wheel does not move either. There is some slack in the motion so it's not totally hard locked but I can't get the wheels to move.
Maybe try using your "other" key fob. ? Your steering wheel should unlock when you put the key fob into the slot in the dash.

When jump starting your car... ALWAYS hook up the good battery last! First plus on your battery to the good running car. Then neg on your dead battery to the engine ground on the good car's battery. You always hook up the good battery last to avoid any leaking hydrogen from the dead battery. And always to engine ground on the good battery for the same reason - you want any sparks away from the battery cells.

You still did not say IF the engine turns over at all? Or if the dash light are only coming on?
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Asofi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

Probably battery issues, you'd be surprised how many things work on the car even if the battery doesn't have enough energy to start the engine. try jumping it that's probably the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Well, just spent an hour or so trying to jump start it without success. I will try the other key fob a bit later just for the sake of it - I'm all for easy solutions at this point.

I don't really know what a turn should sound like on this BMW as it's always started immediately before and all you hear is that great roar, now all I hear is some sort of click-like sound or two as I press start but I don't hear a full turn at any point, at least not what I would think a turn should sound like.

As for the steering wheel, as I mentioned it's not hard locked, but I can only moves the wheels by like a degree or two at the most, and at that point I'm already applying A LOT of force. So my point is that it's hard to imagine how I would try to tow it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
stpijb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hi everyone,

First post for me, I registered because I couldn't find any threads that would help me with my problem and it looks like quite a lot of you have a lot of experience with these cars.

In short, I was away on a business trip for 4 days, and yesterday morning couldn't get the car to start. After I insert my key and press the Start/Stop button, the fuel gauge moves to almost full but the engine makes no sound whatsoever and doesn't start. With the driver door open, it gives me the exclamation mark that means that the engine is on but the driver's door is open (so it seems to me that it thinks the engine is on?), but other than that there are no errors or warnings or anything.

I have read about the HPFP and associated problems, but my car has never had a delay in starting, so unless these things are known for failing suddenly without showing any symptoms prior, then I guess that's not very likely.

Could you give me any tips or tricks that I should try and things that I should check? Getting it towed will be supremely difficult because it is on a small street in between buildings where a tow truck will not even be able to squeeze through, and I'm also hoping there's something I can do myself without having to resort to such drastic measures.

Thanks a lot,
Fed
If its not making a sound then the battery is probley super dead. I have seen a couple of cars in my life where we couldnt even jump them. If you where getting some sound when you push the button then you would know the battery is good. First step is replace the battery. If that doesnt work let us know. But first thing is you need to get the trying to turn over sound. So sounds like its really dead.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
stpijb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well, just spent an hour or so trying to jump start it without success. I will try the other key fob a bit later just for the sake of it - I'm all for easy solutions at this point.

I don't really know what a turn should sound like on this BMW as it's always started immediately before and all you hear is that great roar, now all I hear is some sort of click-like sound or two as I press start but I don't hear a full turn at any point, at least not what I would think a turn should sound like.

As for the steering wheel, as I mentioned it's not hard locked, but I can only moves the wheels by like a degree or two at the most, and at that point I'm already applying A LOT of force. So my point is that it's hard to imagine how I would try to tow it.
The click sound indicates dead battery. Not enough juice to turn it over. Replace battery and should be good.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
audi4t
audi4t
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Convertible

Battery # 1 - starter #2

I would say its probably the battery.

However, last year b4 I bought the 135i the starter on my Z4 died - did get an occasional click click.

My car was off the road 27 days while they got a new starter from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
stpijb
Banned
Rep

To test the started tap it with a hammer. If it turns over after tapping it then replace starter.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

I have another question - do you guys know what symptoms I would be experiencing if someone tried to steal the car and the immobilizer was set off? Would they match what I'm seeing?

Also, is there any DIY for replacing a starter that you know of? I couldn't find one on this forum. Or, for a start, at least some diagram showing where the starter is? I know what it's supposed to look like but I don't know where in the engine bay to look for it.

Thanks to all of you!

Last edited by Fed P; 03-04-2012 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: Additional question
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Clicking sound is indicative of either a dead (enough) battery (still some juice to power the gauges) or a starter solenoid that's failed. Starter motors are typically located to one side or the other at the bottom. Given that the engine's so far back in the car, you'll never find it from above...
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Hi all,

So I fiddled with the car some more, checking connections and so forth, but with the full understanding that I'm well over my head, and then, probably by coincidence, it started up. I had to press Start and Stop repeatedly about 4 times in quick succession to get the desired effect. Each time I heard a click or two (weirdly I didn't get the clicks every time the days before but I did yesterday) so with the gut feeling that the battery was ok, esp since jump starting gave me nothing, I figured I might get lucky and I did.

What worries me now is that I immediately took it to my service center and they have already called me back and said that they don't see anything wrong with it and everything looks good. What the hell, right? Surely it can't just be some fluke can it? They are of course willing to do anything to the car I tell them to ($$$ after all), so I'm thinking, should I go ahead and get the starter replaced? What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Did they "load test" the battery? I think you will just need to drive the car untill it will not start again for your shop to diagnose it. Thats the problem with intermittent things, you need for them to occur in order for your shop to figure out whats wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #21
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Just got a call from them, I asked about the battery and they said the battery is fine, and that I would have to keep driving and observe... Leaves me feeling very helpless, not knowing when it's gonna fail me again.

Just out of curiosity, how is it going to help them diagnose the problem when it happens again?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
sounds like a battery to me at 4 plus years it's about time. Especially since it took a jump.

- For replacement the car must be taken to dealer for battery registration. The days of battery DIY are finished with E90 & E80 (1 series) generations of vehicles.

- If your going to park the car for longer than a few days I recommend purchasing a smart tender (one that senses a drop in voltage/amperage then charges). Newer BMWs have a considerable load on the battery even while at rest.

Glad your moving again

Udachi !