BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

09-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #23
kcobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M package

Calling the 135 boring is ridiculous.

You know, you can pick apart anything.

The 135 has a lot going for it. Nice looks, nice twin turbo engine, nice package, nice 0-60 times, arguably the best bang for buck in its class.

I am sorry, but I've had my 135 for about 2 weeks, and I haven't been bored for a second!

Someone saying the 135 is boring is a hater.

2008 Black 135i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Ptack is exactly right - most negative press is from "crusty" journos who just want a modern redux of an old car they have great memories of (there's nothing wrong with reminiscing - but design philosophy has changed a lot since the 90's). Also, most of the comments seem to be asking for an elise or cayman with more plush seats - nevermind the fact that that's what the 1er actually is.

Maybe the author should have a look at the market and try to find something equivalent to the 1 in the price range.

More sporty (Lotus/Boxster - I'm in Aus) and you lose all pretense of practicality and comfort, cheaper (350z/RX8) and you lose all the refinement and are still, ultimately, lower in the performance foodchain.

It's not until you whip out 30% more for a cayman (again: in Aus) that you start getting more in the package and it still compromises on comfort and practicality.

JC says it right in that, for the cost, there's just nothing else like it.

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #25
JLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

IMHO, the 135 is one of the most exciting cars I have driven in a VERY long time. I would say it is every bit as fun and exciting to drive as a 911 - S. It has that level of power and handling and when you nail the gas and really push the car it completely delivers - in a VERY FUN way!!

As a number of us on this site have posted, some are able to have "their pick" of cars and chose the 1.

To each their own - I think the 1 suffers from the "entry" BMW claim though most of us know we have (or will soon have in my case) one of the best kept automotive secrets out there :smile:
6-Man, Comf. Access, PDC, Nav, HD, Sat. Radio, Premium Hi-Fi, Ipod, Smartphone integ.
- Finished Production 1st week of Sept. -
- 9/11/08 = 1er arrived at the port
- 9/16/08 = Don Q to USA
- 10/3/08 = Arrived to VPC in Georgia
- Estimated Delivery = WHO KNOWS?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #26
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLight View Post
IMHO, the 135 is one of the most exciting cars I have driven in a VERY long time. I would say it is every bit as fun and exciting to drive as a 911 - S. It has that level of power and handling and when you nail the gas and really push the car it completely delivers - in a VERY FUN way!!

As a number of us on this site have posted, some are able to have "their pick" of cars and chose the 1.

To each their own - I think the 1 suffers from the "entry" BMW claim though most of us know we have (or will soon have in my case) one of the best kept automotive secrets out there :smile:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #27
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I think the stock runflats are why the car goes from connected to over steering with little warning

as for that steering wheel center dead feeling, yeah the 1's have it, as do all the bmw's now

I wish they would bring back the steering racks from the e30's
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #28
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
JB135i would you also say El Bulli has boring food too?
No idea what point you are trying to make here...

I think someone nailed in another post. My expectations were incorrect/flawed.

The BMW marketing and then the reading I did, mostly here on 1Addicts.com, lead me to believe it was a sports car rather than a sporty coupe.

The test drives that I was able to take were not long enough either. Again that's on me, I should have waited until the dealers were more willing and able to allow longer test drives.

Don't misunderstand I am not saying it's a bad car. It's just not what I thought it was going to be, and for me, it's not the car I wish I still had.

My wife loves it though...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
No idea what point you are trying to make here...

I think someone nailed in another post. My expectations were incorrect/flawed.

The BMW marketing and then the reading I did, mostly here on 1Addicts.com, lead me to believe it was a sports car rather than a sporty coupe.

The test drives that I was able to take were not long enough either. Again that's on me, I should have waited until the dealers were more willing and able to allow longer test drives.

Don't misunderstand I am not saying it's a bad car. It's just not what I thought it was going to be, and for me, it's not the car I wish I still had.

My wife loves it though...
so your buying a cayman S ?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #30
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I think the stock runflats are why the car goes from connected to over steering with little warning

as for that steering wheel center dead feeling, yeah the 1's have it, as do all the bmw's now

I wish they would bring back the steering racks from the e30's
Well a word about those "famed" e30 steering racks from someone who daily drives an e30 now. While driving feel is excellent and almost telepathic...turning the car in a parking space or parallel parking is like turning a truck as there are so many turns left and right or lock to lock compared to say a more modern steering rack like a Z3 or E36 BMW M3.

Just wanted to throw it in there.

As far how I feel about it, the 135i is a modern E30 to me in every way shape or form. So many people exclaim how cars are so much bigger these days and heavy. Get over it! Cars are today, much safer, more refined, and much quicker than what was around 20 years ago. With that comes increased weight and a little fluff.
      09-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #31
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

you mean the ratio? There were quick ratio e30 racks, the 135i is 3 turns lock to lock, the e30's are 4, and you can drop that by 25 % with another rack
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #32
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
you mean the ratio? There were quick ratio e30 racks, the 135i is 3 turns lock to lock, the e30's are 4, and you can drop that by 25 % with another rack
Yes I know. I have an e36 m3 rack sitting under my desk, just haven't had the time to convert.:iono:
      09-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #33
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
You know what these reviews usually have in common is that they start with the author's war stories about BMWs of old and end up complaining that the present just can't live up to their dear, old memories. I find those reviews boring because they're primarily about the author's personal baggage and not the car as it exists in the current marketplace.
No kidding. Get out of the past and into the present.

The review, as with many others, abandons objectivity to make a splash. And look: we're all reading Jalopnik again. It worked.

135i is exactly what it should be, and boring isn't one of them... And Jalopnik credibility has taken a hit with me...
      09-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #34
JordoM3
Rep
Drives:

As a current owner of a Cayman, a former owner of an e46 M3 (sold to make room for a 135 - not ordered yet) and a current owner of a 328i (wife's car, but still a manual), I believe that it is important to note a few things:

1. The 135 is a sports coupe, not a two seat sports car

2. In day-to-day driving it is more enjoyable than a current M3

3. In most areas of the U.S., the roads are not typically of the type that a sports car is built to enjoy, i.e. not many curves. Even the author of this lame review acknowledges this point, at least inherently, as he has to go to the Catskills for a good road.

4. Jeremy Clarkson, who consistently rails on BMW's offerings, says that this is the best BMW that is currently offered. See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3103294.ece Similarly, Road & Track, Car & Driver and others echo the same sentiments.

So, if this car is to be a daily driver, and you live in an area plagued by more staight roads than curves, then this car is an excellent choice.

As for me, I purposely seek out the few roads that are curvey and challenging for drives in my Cayman. However, as a daily driver it too is a little boring. The 135 accelerates harder and gains speed more quickly -- on my most recent test drive I told my wife that it feels like confetti canons should go off every time you stomp on the accelerator. In the price range, the only car that isn't a little boring on normal streets and at normal speeds is the Lotus Exige/Elise, but: (1) it is partly due to the fear of being killed by an SUV at any moment and (2) it is the only car my wife has ever said I could not get (she call it the "car o' death").
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #35
Gray135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Speed and purchase price have nothing to do with the fun factor as I view it. My old Celica GTS and MR2 were fun cars though the 135 would beat those in every performance category. Unfortunately, 'fun' isn't an exact science and is different in any given individual's mind. As I said before, I love the car and it is everything I expected and more. I have no understeer and I have no heavy center on the steering, so even the negatives in the article don't apply to mine. I think it might come down to the weight and tossability.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #36
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I love my 135i, BUT:

- The RFT's are useless, especially in the cold and wet
- The car does have a bad tendency to understeer

Remove the above as stock and it would be perfect IMO

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #37
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
I also agree, not joking.

The motor is nice, pulls hard, yadda yadda yadda.

But the car is very isolated in feel, over complicated (for a "sports car"), and understeers way too much (stock form).

I know alot of this stuff can be corrected with mods, but yep, in stock form...boring. But I refuse to spend the time, money, and void the warranty on a car I just am not excited about.

Before you say it, I know the BMW suspension and exhaust, if installed by the dealer would not void the warranty. I do see good reviews of the exhaust, but the suspension does not appear to have the same level of support. Dinan tune is mega-bucks and from reading the relationship may be strained with BMW. No one seems to know the factual answer on that. Maybe it's the cost, but very few people seem to be jumping on the suspension.

Most days I don't even drive it anymore, I actually prefer to drive our Xterra. I am trying to keep the miles off the 135 in anticipation of a much sooner than expected trade. Right now I don't know what I would get instead, the Cayman S is @ $20,000 grand more, I will never buy another Mitsu(EVO), and the new STi is just hideous to look at, G37 looks to be even more boring. That new Lotus Evora looks to have "it" but we are back up to Porsche price territory again.

It's going to be 79 degrees here today, light wind and partly sunny. I think I feel a tear forming up as I think about my now traded S2000...

If you miss your s2k that much then you did buy the wrong car in a 135 (or maybe you should have bought a 135 verte like me)
I spent 3 years in my S2000 as a daily driver and would never, repeat never, go back.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #38
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Umm, let’s see, what’s the best analogy? I’ve found the 135 to be like that hot woman that you drool over and is great for a short while until you get used to her but just lacks the personality or something else intangible to be a keeper. Or maybe the 1er is like that game/race/event that you've looked forward to for so long, but in the end have to concede just wasn't up to it's billing.

Truth is, much as I hate to admit it, I’ve had the same niggles as some of the other folks on this thread. The 135 is great on paper, and it’s hard to find flaws with a car with such a great engine and good (if not amazing) driving capabilities. Yet IMHO something intangible is lacking. It’s not quite engaging enough, not quite as much character as I’d expected, and therefore it doesn’t quite steal my heart like some other cars I’ve owned.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the 135 is a great car. But I know of at least one other board member that has already traded his 135 for a used Carrera S, and I suspect that he is not unhappy with his decision.
      09-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #39
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Umm, let’s see, what’s the best analogy? I’ve found the 135 to be like that hot woman that you drool over and is great for a short while until you get used to her but just lacks the personality or something else intangible to be a keeper. Or maybe the 1er is like that game/race/event that you've looked forward to for so long, but in the end have to concede just wasn't up to it's billing.

Truth is, much as I hate to admit it, I’ve had the same niggles as some of the other folks on this thread. The 135 is great on paper, and it’s hard to find flaws with a car with such a great engine and good (if not amazing) driving capabilities. Yet IMHO something intangible is lacking. It’s not quite engaging enough, not quite as much character as I’d expected, and therefore it doesn’t quite steal my heart like some other cars I’ve owned.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the 135 is a great car. But I know of at least one other board member that has already traded his 135 for a used Carrera S, and I suspect that he is not unhappy with his decision.
Great analogy LOL. I have to agree, I love the car but it's not as involving as other sports cars. But like many others that have already posted, you should know what you're getting after the test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I love my 135i, BUT:

- The RFT's are useless, especially in the cold and wet
- The car does have a bad tendency to understeer

Remove the above as stock and it would be perfect IMO
I really hope this will help, I really don't understand why BMW is committed to these POS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLight View Post

I don't know if the 135 is just as fun as the 911-S - to behonest the 911 is probably the most affordable "super" car most people (with the money) will be able to afford (that's why they call it the "poor man's super car") - it is a very involving car.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're looking for an involving sports car there are better cars out there. The thing with the 135 is that it's a everyday car not a track car - at this price range it's probably the best balance between livability and performance (siding on livability not track). If you want more of a track car than go out and get something more hardcore or you have to be willing to modify.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #40
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

the guy who said he'd never get another Mitsu (EVO), why?

the guy who said he hated the s2000, why?

as for evryone who thinks the car is boring, i bought the car for 1 reason - how mod friendly those twin turbos are.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #41
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

It is a bit boring. There's no real cool factor either, like any of the previous generation M3s. Exterior isn't the best BMW has ever conceived. Neither is the interior. There's no cool sound from the motor. The motor is too torquey and flat on top (boring). Handling is OK but not great. These are the facts. All adds up to a car that will never be as fun as a dedicated 2 seater, such as the S2000 or Z4. But then again, it was never meant to be one. In hindsight a 128 with a BBK, KW coilovers, and tuned exhaust would be far more fun than a standard 135i. At least you would get to hear the motor and the lack of turbos means you'll visit the upper rpm range, and you'll never worry about turbo melt down. Nonetheless, a E46 M3 is a far better choice for the same money. It's night and day cooler, far better looking inside and out, and exponentially more capable than a 135i.

That's the fact, jack!
      09-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #42
neteagle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MBM 135i

OMG...I didn't even make it through that review...it was so BORING!!!!! If the review is boring, the person must be boring...therefore everything they review by inference is boring as well :wink:

'11 335i Le Mans Blue, Saddle, Dark Glacier, Manual, M-Sport, Premium, CA, Harman Kardon, Heated Seats, iPod, High Beam assist, 35% tint, Stone-X, BMW Performance Exhaust, Shadow Grill, CF competition spoiler
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #43
kcobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M package

I think calling the 135 boring is disrespect to the members here. They are tons of members here who feel that the car is fun.

If you don't like it, don't get it or trade it.

I love mine. In fact, I've personally never had more fun (with a car, that is).

2008 Black 135i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #44
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

I'm not sure if it's disrespectful - although everyone takes things differently and who am I to tell you how to take it.

I think it's boring if you compare it to a "racier" car (the 135 is definitely not as entertaining as a exige or GT3 etc.), but compared to most cars this thing is not boring. The thing is this car is more like an American muscle car than a finely tuned race car (more nascar than F1).

This car definitely puts a smile on my car but, it's not a involved as it could be. With that said, I purchased this car for livability, if I was looking for a more track oriented car, I would have bought something else.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread