BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Damn. I've never heard of that happening.

I know what you're going through tho. I had my car for 6 months through the winter before my top failed completely. My car spent 3 1/2 weeks apart on the floor of the dealership.

It sucks, but if they do an engine replacement you should definitely demand a new car

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
Do you really think engineers write the break-in instructions? BMW, or any vehicle manufacturer is not in the business of making cars stay on the road longer, they are in the business of selling new cars. That is a fact you cannon refute. Did you, or do you plan on doing your first oil change at 15,000 miles? Never plan on replacing your transmission or differential fluid? Yep, car makers are really looking out for the well-being of the car after they've sold it.
People also say that you "cannon" refute the fact that the moon landings were filmed in LA or that hitler is alive in argentina

Conspirathy theories are fun

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #25
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Damn. I've never heard of that happening.

It sucks, but if they do an engine replacement you should definitely demand a new car

Thanks. Guess, we will find out tomorrow! I'm hoping for some good news finally. I'll make sure I give a full write up with names, those involved etc., after everything is resolved, one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #26
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
People also say that you "cannon" refute the fact that the moon landings were filmed in LA or that hitler is alive in argentina

Conspirathy theories are fun
Did you really just attack a typo I made, and then make a typo yourself? Wow...

Are you trying to say that a manufacturer of any product intends for it to last forever? That's just not good business.
      07-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Welcome to 1addicts! Absolutely disappointing that this is happening when the car is literally still brand new... I would demand a new car all together, if they gave you something that bad to begin with, who knows what else is bound to go wrong or fail at some really inopportune time. Actually, I take that back... demand a new car and some sort of compensation. To have something like that happen is ridiculous.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #28
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Do you really think engineers write the break-in instructions? BMW, or any vehicle manufacturer is not in the business of making cars stay on the road longer, they are in the business of selling new cars. That is a fact you cannon refute. Did you, or do you plan on doing your first oil change at 15,000 miles? Never plan on replacing your transmission or differential fluid? Yep, car makers are really looking out for the well-being of the car after they've sold it.
Quote:
Are you trying to say that a manufacturer of any product intends for it to last forever? That's just not good business.
I'll have to agree with you here but I don't think the motivating factor is the car breaking down and resorting to buying a new car after a few years. If that was the case, it would be BAD for business. How likely would you be to buy another BMW after having a world of problems with one? Lower costs, less environmental impact (not having to use/dispose of fluids), etc. are all reasons for the prolonged service schedule. That said, I do have a sneaking suspicion that they're ok with their cars going downhill after 100k/6 years!

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #29
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Wow sounds pretty sweet (If it were a diesel!)

Just a stab at the dark here, but bet it's either valvetrain issues (Vanos problem) or spun a bearing.

Regardless of what people think of proper break-in, some companies actually scan the PCM at one of the first maintenance intervals to look for telltale signs of abuse to determine if the warranty still stands.

My buddies Lotus Exige had the PCM contents dumped (required by Lotus) at 5k miles to make sure the car was never revved above xxxx rpm (I think it was something like 4500 rpm).
      07-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #30
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you really just attack a typo I made, and then make a typo yourself? Wow...

Nobody believes me about evil corporations even though I'm super cereal!

It would be bad business if BMW made a car that simply broke after 3 years. Part of marketing is proving that your company is better than a competitors.

You can't prove that if you don't have a product that lasts.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #31
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post

Just a stab at the dark here, but bet it's either valvetrain issues (Vanos problem) or spun a bearing.
Maybe I should run a raffle... "Guess what this noise is." ? haha Winner gets a free 1 addicts sticker, since mine doesn't have a car to go on anymore. :

On a serious not, that is what we were thinking it was as well. We shall find out soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #32
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Rare but it happens, when i bought my 2004 330i a week later the engine started puttering and the check engine light came on. The culprit was a bent valve, yep on a brand new car with 100 miles on it.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - I think I would demand a new replacement car. Don't wait around to have this one fixed. So far you know it needs a new engine and who knows what else after that is installed. I think you are covered under your state' Lemon Law. You should check into that. Maybe cantact BMW NA directly. They should be able to find you a new replacement car.

After all... how many engine replacements has your dealer done? My bet is zero. AND... they WILL BE learning on your car - like it or not. Just like your Mazda. I would pass and get a brand new car now.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #34
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Oz car confirmed - From video, steering wheel was on right.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #35
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Sorry to hear about your car dude, a real bummer....But after reading your prior thread on the suspension issues you feel....when BMW offers you another car tell them you want the 1M for all the stress and hardships this has cause you.....This should cure all your suspension issues and keep you happy!!
      07-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #36
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP - I think I would demand a new replacement car. Don't wait around to have this one fixed. So far you know it needs a new engine and who knows what else after that is installed. I think you are covered under your state' Lemon Law. You should check into that. Maybe cantact BMW NA directly. They should be able to find you a new replacement car.

Dackel
I think you maybe right... Lemon law looks like if the car is devalued, then it qualifies. I believe this does devalue the car just tad?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #37
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500

I'd demand a replacement vehicle with a cpo warranty thrown in for good faith. That way you get another brand new car that is warranties till 100k.
Keep up posted! Beast of luck.
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #38
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

After all... how many engine replacements has your dealer done? My bet is zero. AND... they WILL BE learning on your car - like it or not. Just like your Mazda. I would pass and get a brand new car now.

Dackel
I think legally you have to give BMW a chance to fix the problem, if engine keeps acting up a few times after then you should be able to get a replacement via the lemon law in that state.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #39
coldnate
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Designs View Post
I think you maybe right... Lemon law looks like if the car is devalued, then it qualifies. I believe this does devalue the car just tad?
over 30 days in the shop = bmw will buy it back.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #40
coldnate
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by audimotion View Post
I'd demand a replacement vehicle with a cpo warranty thrown in for good faith. That way you get another brand new car that is warranties till 100k.
Keep up posted! Beast of luck.
can't cpo a new car O.o plus, that's demanding the dealership shit up the money for something that has nothing to do with them.

you can't just make ridiculous demands based on nothing at all. there are rules about how long a car has to be in the shop, or how many times it has to trip certain classes of malfunctions. you can't just say "oh my car has a booboo that I personally feel is bad. gimme another car"

plus, BMW is one of the best, if not THE BEST, about lemoning cars. he needs to just sit tight and either wait for them to fix it, or get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #41
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I think legally you have to give BMW a chance to fix the problem, if engine keeps acting up a few times after then you should be able to get a replacement via the lemon law in that state.
Spun bearing is the diagnosis. They spoke with BMW and they want to replace the short block, not the head, so they said. Said it will be 2 weeks. More information to come.

edit: they want to replace the entire engine now.

Last edited by MD Designs; 07-06-2011 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #42
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Designs View Post
Spun bearing is the diagnosis. They spoke with BMW and they want to replace the short block, not the head, so they said. Said it will be 2 weeks. More information to come.
2 weeks is quite a long time. I hope they put you in a super nice loaner and waive your payment for the month. Also, check to make sure the shop has done this sort of work before and that you have their most experienced tech. work on it...

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #43
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
2 weeks is quite a long time. I hope they put you in a super nice loaner and waive your payment for the month. Also, check to make sure the shop has done this sort of work before and that you have their most experienced tech. work on it...
Requesting a new "running" vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #44
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
Sorry to hear about your car dude, a real bummer....But after reading your prior thread on the suspension issues you feel....when BMW offers you another car tell them you want the 1M for all the stress and hardships this has cause you.....This should cure all your suspension issues and keep you happy!!

Thanks, it has been such a let down. I spent months researching, locating and finding a car, and now boom. I had suspension already selected and ready to go... Just such a pita.

I really do hope BMW steps up to the plate on this. I've been a long time fan, and believe they will right the situation... I do hope it doesn't end up in court. I guess having a lawyer as a sister can't hurt either. Just hope it doesn't go to that.
Appreciate 0