BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #111
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I was out in the 'burbs buying a Subway sammich before going to work. There's a Jiffy Lube that shares the parking lot. As I come out, I notice all three of the crew are smoking and looking at my car. They asked the usual questions:
1) what the hell is that thing?
Me: it's called a 1M.
2) what kind of engine is in that?
Me: twin turbo, in-line six.
3) can I have a ride?
Me: LOL

Ok, I made that last one up, but this thing does still turn heads.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #112
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Got a nail in my tire at 700 miles, nice slow leak. My understanding wife limps the car to the local tire shop where they plug these holes for free (so long as the issue isn't near the sidewall). I had to be at work of course. I was nervous about them scratching the wheels, etc.... but everything was fine.

She said the whole crew came out to check out the car, watched as couple of them went to work on the car.

Here's a little paraphrasing from my wife's story:

Guy: Why didn't your husband bring in the car?
Wife: He had to be a work.
Wife: Are you sure the tire plug is safe?
Guy: Yes.
Wife: My husband drives the car hard, are you sure?
Guy: Yep, we do this all the time on nice cars w/ nice tires.
Wife: No, my husband drives the car really hard, are you sure it'll hold...
Guy: Well, that's why he bought it. Have him bring the car in any time.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #113
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
When I came out of the office late one night last week, there was a note under my windshield wiper describing my VO 1M as "stunning" and inviting me to a Euro car meet to show it off. I felt a bit uncomfortable, as I didn't buy the car at impress anyone other than myself and don't especially like to attract a lot of attention. But I showed up with the car and had a good time meeting some new gearheads and running into a couple of local BMWCCA KC Chapter members.

On my way back home, as I turned the corner at a stoplight, there was a guy in a new silver 335 who whipped out his iPhone to take a picture as turned the corner in front of him. I guess I need to get used to being stalked.
I'll admit.... I'm a stalker like this.... I wonder if the note was from a person active in the chapter.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #114
funseries
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hilarious but cool stories

Been getting some looks too with my lowly 135i. No thumbsup yet, just stares and smiles so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #115
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Between people trying to chase me in traffic, all of the looks it gets at parking lots, gas stations, etc. There was one story that gave me a big smile...

It's getting dark... I am pulling out of a lighted store parking lot and standing next to the stop lights waiting for traffic to clear into my direction. On the stop lights there is this SUV standing across my side, I notice all of the passengers of that car are staring at my car, they are like this... , back window rolls down and a boy about 10 years of age hangs out of the window and gives me 2 thumbs up!!! He was like this... , actually more like this , I gave him this back and went my way...

I could imagine what's like to have a VO one... I don't like attention on the road as I just want to enjoy driving, anticipated all of this craziness, and more, that's why I changed last minute from VO to BSM. But, boy I was wrong, still gets tons of attention even in black...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #116
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

In the words of an S2000 driver last night: "that thing is disgusting!" as he gives me the thumbs up
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #117
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I've been sort of avoiding this thread because I really prefer to fly under the radar and the BSM paint seems to help by not calling out too much for attention.

However, I had a small encounter Friday night that I thought I should share:

Since the 'boss' is out of town for a while I decided to get together with a few friends and drive out to the dreaded 'burbs in search of good Chinese food.

We gorged ourselves on Peking duck, pan-fried pork dumplings, sauteed snowpea leaves, steamed fish with chili sauce and bao (steamed buns) accompanied by a few pints of Fat Tire.

After dinner we decided, on a whim, to go see 'Chronicle' (decent movie). One of my buddies decided to leave his E65 the restaurant and ride to the movie theater with me. On the way there, we got into some traffic and noticed that an older couple in a white E93 328 were following very closely and pointing and talking. As we eased on to the exit, they passed us and the lady kind of gave me wave

We got to the huge theater parking lot and decided to go all the way to the rooftop to find a nice lonely parking spot. As I slowly wound my way up the ramps I noticed a massive, lifted Toyota 4-runner (last gen) following me. After the 3 floor, I said to my buddy "Dude, this truck is tailing us ... " My friend thought it was some kid just trying to mess with us.

As we got to the roof and found a secluded parking spot, the truck parked next to us leaving one space between.

A guy in his late 30's got out and ran over and started talking excitedly at the passenger side window.

When I finally got the window down, this is what I heard:

"Hey man, I didn't mean to scare you or anything, I'm sure you were thinking wtf is this red-neck doing trying to run me down? I just didn't know they made an M1!?!?! When did this come out? I love the 135 but this is another league ... I love the wheelarches! Man, I can't get over this car. It's amazing looking! What motor does it have? How does it ride???"

When I could get a word in, I asked "Do you want me to pop the hood?"

We spent a few minutes looking at the engine bay and then he dropped down to look at the exhaust (in the mildly wet, slightly dirty parking lot) and then walked down to the movie.

Turned out the guy is a amateur off-roader who dabbles in road racing as well. He's raced spec Miatas, and a bunch of FWD cars like the RSX and MS3.

Later that night, as I was cruising back into town, keeping pace with the left lane traffic, a gaggle of tuned cars surrounded me. I counted a modded G35, Maxima, CLK (debadged but looked like a 430) and a Neon SRT4. By the way they did a little choreographed ballet around me, they wanted to play but I was tired and moved over and let them pass.

End of story.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #118
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

Later that night, as I was cruising back into town, keeping pace with the left lane traffic, a gaggle of tuned cars surrounded me. I counted a modded G35, Maxima, CLK (debadged but looked like a 430) and a Neon SRT4. By the way they did a little choreographed ballet around me, they wanted to play but I was tired and moved over and let them pass.
wise choice, people like that are an accident waiting to happen. I had that happen to me all the time with my old car. And very occasionally with my 135.

Sounds like you've been having an interesting time with the car however. Continue to enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #119
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
By the way they did a little choreographed ballet around me, they wanted to play but I was tired and moved over and let them pass.
Wise choice. Resistance is not futile.

Name:  Followed.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  73.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #120
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've been sort of avoiding this thread because I really prefer to fly under the radar and the BSM paint seems to help by not calling out too much for attention.

However, I had a small encounter Friday night that I thought I should share:

Since the 'boss' is out of town for a while I decided to get together with a few friends and drive out to the dreaded 'burbs in search of good Chinese food.

We gorged ourselves on Peking duck, pan-fried pork dumplings, sauteed snowpea leaves, steamed fish with chili sauce and bao (steamed buns) accompanied by a few pints of Fat Tire.

After dinner we decided, on a whim, to go see 'Chronicle' (decent movie). One of my buddies decided to leave his E65 the restaurant and ride to the movie theater with me. On the way there, we got into some traffic and noticed that an older couple in a white E93 328 were following very closely and pointing and talking. As we eased on to the exit, they passed us and the lady kind of gave me wave

We got to the huge theater parking lot and decided to go all the way to the rooftop to find a nice lonely parking spot. As I slowly wound my way up the ramps I noticed a massive, lifted Toyota 4-runner (last gen) following me. After the 3 floor, I said to my buddy "Dude, this truck is tailing us ... " My friend thought it was some kid just trying to mess with us.

As we got to the roof and found a secluded parking spot, the truck parked next to us leaving one space between.

A guy in his late 30's got out and ran over and started talking excitedly at the passenger side window.

When I finally got the window down, this is what I heard:

"Hey man, I didn't mean to scare you or anything, I'm sure you were thinking wtf is this red-neck doing trying to run me down? I just didn't know they made an M1!?!?! When did this come out? I love the 135 but this is another league ... I love the wheelarches! Man, I can't get over this car. It's amazing looking! What motor does it have? How does it ride???"

When I could get a word in, I asked "Do you want me to pop the hood?"

We spent a few minutes looking at the engine bay and then he dropped down to look at the exhaust (in the mildly wet, slightly dirty parking lot) and then walked down to the movie.

Turned out the guy is a amateur off-roader who dabbles in road racing as well. He's raced spec Miatas, and a bunch of FWD cars like the RSX and MS3.

End of story.
Awesome! Moral of the story: you cannot fly low under the radar of my thread
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #121
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Great Thread guys, lots of fun to read!
      02-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #122
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

This is the polar opposite of the 135i. I get no attention at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #123
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
In my opinion the 135i is under-appreciated and people don't give it the credit it deserves. Its looks demand an "acquired taste" so it's one of those cars that you either love, or hate, but there is no in between.

I used to love mine, and had the 1M not been produced, I'd still be driving my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #124
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK
Well the guy who chased me down was a big fan of the 135 and didn't know about the 1M. This is why he was so excited.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #125
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
The Arctic has polar bears and the Antarctic has penguins.

People tend to judge the book by its cover.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #126
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
I agree and disagree.

when I drove out west, I felt like i was in a Honda Civic because every other car was a 135 or 128 (this was in Vancouver anyhow) So naturally, one wouldn't notice it when it's everywhere you turn.

Where I am in Ontario, my car gets lots of attention. Cars like ours are more of a summer only sort of thing, so people tend not to go for them, where on the west coast, you can pretty much use them all season, so spending the money doesn't really seem like as much of an issue.

My car has been parked for a few days as we just received around 8-10 inches of snow. I probably won't drive my car again until late march-early april because of the salt on the roads now. (we had a great season here as the snow has only really just started about a month and a half later then normal this year)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #127
RPMjunkie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Got 1)

This hasn't happened in awhile, but last night I was making a spirited right hand turn onto Avondale in Redmond to make the stale yellow light and proceeded south when I noticed a 911 that was at the stop light making a hurried approach in the other lane. I was thinking "someone wants to play", but he pulls up next to me thumbs WAY up just grinning ear-to-ear. He yells "Nice car, it looks so badass" and "That I (he) wanted one and tried to get one but couldn't"
My left turn came up and he sped away.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #128
Artemis
Rep

Pärked in the city center on the street for a quick mailing around 4pm. Warm sunny day today. Was less than 10 minutes away. Came back and saw a twenty-something guy with shades posing next to the driver's side of my VO 1M, sitting/lending on the left side of the bonnet with his arms crossed, taking all sorts of "I'm A Boss" poses, while his friend took several pictures and their mutual girlfriend was watching. I approached and stopped for a few seconds. Exchanging stares between the four of us. Then I broke the silence: "Uh, please may I leave ?". Photographing guy and the girlfriend started to laugh foolishly at their posing mate whilst saying "Man, this is so embarrassing".
      08-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #129
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Pärked in the city center on the street for a quick mailing around 4pm. Warm sunny day today. Was less than 10 minutes away. Came back and saw a twenty-something guy with shades posing next to the driver's side of my VO 1M, sitting/lending on the left side of the bonnet with his arms crossed, taking all sorts of "I'm A Boss" poses, while his friend took several pictures and their mutual girlfriend was watching. I approached and stopped for a few seconds. Exchanging stares between the four of us. Then I broke the silence: "Uh, please may I leave ?". Photographing guy and the girlfriend started to laugh foolishly at their posing mate whilst saying "Man, this is so embarrassing".
That is pretty funny, but I wouldn't be amused by the guy sitting on my car.
      08-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #130
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
+1. Did you make sure he wiped off his mess?
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #131
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Yep. I would be pretty damn pissed off.

My A4 was pristine until some f-wad decided to sit on the trunk and left a bunch of micro scratches (probably from studded denims). I didn't notice them till the next time I was handwashing the car.

Who the hell sits on someone else's car to take pictures of themselves?

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #132
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Yep. I would be pretty damn pissed off.

My A4 was pristine until some f-wad decided to sit on the trunk and left a bunch of micro scratches (probably from studded denims). I didn't notice them till the next time I was handwashing the car.

Who the hell sits on someone else's car to take pictures of themselves?

Ouch, sorry to hear. Maybe it was one of the dillweeds on Jersey Shore, explains the True Religion jean scratches and overall behavior. LOL
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0