BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #1
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

DISA Valves

Hey guys I'm trying to decide if I should fork up the extra money and pay for genuine DISA valves for my 3 stage intake or go with URO, Rein, VAICO, JL (a brand on pelican parts) or ECS's 'Assembled by ECS tuning' option.

Insights and feedback here based on experience would be appreciated.

I did notice that VAICO seems to be the only brand that has its stuff made in Germany https://vaico.de/?lang=en
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Hard to say, there was one unfortunate poster recently (can't remember the name) who has replaced DISA valves THREE TIMES (!!!?!?!). He was buying one of the non-BMW versions (can't remember the brand if it was VAICO or other). His last round he gave up and bought BMW OEM.

That's the only real negative account I've read.

I bought a used manifold with 150K kms on it, and tested the DISA valves and they work fine and have no play in the shafts so I'm gonna just stick with these. I tested by plugging them into my car as-is, starting, and then revving through 3K rpm to 4.5K rpms, they open and shut sequentially in that range.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I bought new through FCPEuro. OEM and Lifetime Replacement.
      07-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
unk045
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Hard to say, there was one unfortunate poster recently (can't remember the name) who has replaced DISA valves THREE TIMES (!!!?!?!). He was buying one of the non-BMW versions (can't remember the brand if it was VAICO or other). His last round he gave up and bought BMW OEM.

That's the only real negative account I've read.
Do you happen to know who it was or the thread to follow up on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I bought new through FCPEuro. OEM and Lifetime Replacement.
Thanks Rmtt. I was hoping to not have to use genuine DISA valves since it's easily double if not over double depending on where and which brand you're buying in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

This is definitely one of them...

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ht=failed+disa

Maybe PM that user, I think he was the one...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk045 View Post

Thanks Rmtt. I was hoping to not have to use genuine DISA valves since it's easily double if not over double depending on where and which brand you're buying in comparison.
Yeah....it sucks but I wouldn't want to risk it even though changing them aren't that bad. For what I bought my manifold for, it was a no brainer for me to put them in for peace of mind. Just read too many horror stories I guess.
      07-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
unk045
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is definitely one of them...

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ht=failed+disa

Maybe PM that user, I think he was the one...
Interesting...the one brand of the bunch that's made in Germany and it's a let down.

Quote:
Yeah....it sucks but I wouldn't want to risk it even though changing them aren't that bad. For what I bought my manifold for, it was a no brainer for me to put them in for peace of mind. Just read too many horror stories I guess.
So after calling a couple dealerships to do some homework, I found out that Mahle makes these. The parts guy saw the marking. I haven't seen any site have the Mahles in stock. I've checked ECS, FCP, Pelican and Rockauto among a few and no luck.

Any one have any other websites where they've been able to find Mahles?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

It could be that Mahle only makes them for BMW and doesn't OEM them/sell direct? I've not heard of any Mahle branded valves.....
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It could be that Mahle only makes them for BMW and doesn't OEM them/sell direct? I've not heard of any Mahle branded valves.....
I'm pretty sure this is the case.
      08-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Hey guys I'm trying to decide if I should fork up the extra money and pay for genuine DISA valves for my 3 stage intake or go with URO, Rein, VAICO, JL (a brand on pelican parts) or ECS's 'Assembled by ECS tuning' option.

Insights and feedback here based on experience would be appreciated.

I did notice that VAICO seems to be the only brand that has its stuff made in Germany https://vaico.de/?lang=en
nope... shop around, wait and get the best price you can get on genuine BMW DISA valves and if your manifold is used, don't take the chance

my car is low mileage and wanted to start fresh (at least in the parts that mattered) so I got new valves for less than 560 for both.. if I'm gonna do something to this car I'm going to do it fresh and right for in terms (hopefully) better longevity.

or like rmtt mentioned, fpceuro because lifetime warranty
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #11
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Next "best" would be Valeos I believe

the worst being the 80 dollar eBay ones
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #12
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

preach brotha! the guys at stage actually asked me this and I told em I researched everything before doing this job (both good and bad)

Appreciate 0