BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

2 great/awesome things and 2 bad/unfortunate things about our beloved 1M

Ok, so....I saw a similar thread to this over on the M2C Forum and really enjoyed reading through what all the owners had to say.

So, I figured let's try it here and maybe just add 2 more elements for....1 for ownership time and 2 your favorite pic!

I'll go first...

I've had my Baby M for only 10 months

2 great things:

1) love the low end torque
2) love the steering feel and feedback

2 bad things:

1) Not very recognizable...most people I've talked with have never heard of or know about it? I Always feel like I'm educating someone!

2) its a funny looking little thing....only a mother could love.....if you know what I mean? Not a sexy sports car if you will.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
Dackelone10504.50
      06-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

I think of your first bad point as one of the good points for me. Exclusivity is part of what makes this car so special and in my opinion only those who need to know will know what a 1M is. And your second bad point, I kinda see what you mean but I don’t feel that way about a black 1M but I may be biased. I’d say it has one of the best stances of any bmw ever.

Enjoy it in good health.
Appreciate 4
      06-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I love the looks and the fact (most) people don’t know what it is....

My only dislike was fixed with a MadDad mid pipe and Akra exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Had mine almost 5 years as the 2nd owner (1st owner leased it)
1) Love the aggressive proportion
2) I barely seen one around town over the last few years (only weekend driven)
but....
1) My iDrive is starting to feel old and I want to replace it with NBT EVO (crazy amount of money to swap it out though - having factory Navi means I can use M Laptimer on track days)
2) It's giving me the mod bug and modding a BMW is easily 2-3x the cost compared to my previous car which is a Subaru. The more times I track the more I feel like it's turning into a money pit once I start modding
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1197.00
      07-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Love love love the looks. Love the way it drives. Literally pretty much love everything about the 1M. From the simple interior to the old school aggression outside. From the perfect manual gearbox to the sharp steering and brakes.

Unlike you I get asked about it endlessly here...very recognizable by even the slightest enthusiast.

The one negative is how much attention the N54 needs to keep it healthy. It's not terrible but requires monitoring and aggressive maintenance to run trouble free.

I am totally stock and there's nothing more I want. The perfect car for me!
Tornado1M1197.00
      07-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Love love love the looks. Love the way it drives. Literally pretty much love everything about the 1M. From the simple interior to the old school aggression outside. From the perfect manual gearbox to the sharp steering and brakes.

Unlike you I get asked about it endlessly here...very recognizable by even the slightest enthusiast.

The one negative is how much attention the N54 needs to keep it healthy. It's not terrible but requires monitoring and aggressive maintenance to run trouble free.

Hey, I can think of one thing you don't like!

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...86&postcount=4
Appreciate 1
10"4935.50
      07-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Nice points stated.

Personality, I love the car's look.

....So, our little 1's are considered 'sports cars ' you say?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

Hey, I can think of one thing you don't like!

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25038186&postcount=4
Haha yeah small complaint—-but doesn't bother me enough to put in a list of cons
      07-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #9
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Had mine almost 5 years as the 2nd owner (1st owner leased it)
1) Love the aggressive proportion
2) I barely seen one around town over the last few years (only weekend driven)
but....
1) My iDrive is starting to feel old and I want to replace it with NBT EVO (crazy amount of money to swap it out though - having factory Navi means I can use M Laptimer on track days)
2) It's giving me the mod bug and modding a BMW is easily 2-3x the cost compared to my previous car which is a Subaru. The more times I track the more I feel like it's turning into a money pit once I start modding
How does the M Laptimer work with the factory Navi.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
2 bad things:

1) Not very recognizable...most people I've talked with have never heard of or know about it? I Always feel like I'm educating someone!

2) its a funny looking little thing....only a mother could love.....if you know what I mean? Not a sexy sports car if you will.
Then why buy one?
      07-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_z4mc1m_oz View Post
How does the M Laptimer work with the factory Navi.
The official line is that M Laptimer needed the BMW Professional Navi to supply all the data to an iPhone - I have never seen one tried it on a car without Navi. The Navi provides the GPS coordinates
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #12
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
2 bad things:

Then why buy one?
Positives outweigh the Negatives 😁

Simple as that!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Can one of you sell me one of these beautiful beasts already. I've been In love with this car ever since I had my BMW 135i!

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #14
black_1m
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M - Sold

Two big positives for me:
1. Just love the look of this car! Nothing like it on the road!
2. Such a unique and rare car. I've never seen another 1M in my city, compared to seeing several M2's every week.

Two negatives nothing major, but I had to pick something:
1. iDrive feels outdated.
2. Seats are not as comfortable as I had hoped.

I often find myself thinking of another car that would get me as excited to drive every day, and I can only think of a 991 GT3 with a manual stick. That makes me really appreciate the 1M. What a lovely car it is!
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1197.00
FIRSTM142.00
      07-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Interesting topic. And it got me thinking, and oddly, I can’t seem to come up with a standout feature that I love. This made me realize that it’s the combination of so many things which make this little thing work so beautifully. Each of the controls that go into actually controlling the car are so well judged and work so well together that it has to be just described as ‘the driving interface’. I’m funny like that. The M2’s clutch had a weird step to the release, the 911 had a plastic to plastic stop at the end of clutch depression which made a ‘click’ if I didn’t depress it with care, so too did the Cayman. The F-Type I tested felt floaty and underdamped, the M3’s steering felt to light and disconnected. All small and odd things I know but there nonetheless. But putting aside the silly way the 1M could be punted down the road, it has to be the balance of controls for me first.

Second? Well it’s how it can punted down a road and seem rather ludicrous and unruly. It’s just a cut cat and I love that about it.

Things I’m not so fond of?

I believe all Aus cars came with elec seats and they’re just too high. Inch and a half down and I’d be in heaven.

And second........hmm...... the window controls are too far back and don’t fall to the hand in my driving position. That’s how hard it is for me to find a dislike on the 1M.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #16
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

For me, having now owned four of these cars, the two things I love the most are: 1) No matter what anyone says, these automobiles are true one-off diamonds of the BMW family. Rarely do you see one, and when you do, or drive yours, you are guaranteed to have others come over and take a look and ask questions. In a humble way, it affirms that what we own is special. 2) Even though there are faster and better cars out there, we are the only ones who own a true parts car that has been referred to, many times, by many reviewers, as the Best BMW M Car ever.

Take that!

Now, two things I don't like are: 1) The radio is awful and difficult to use and 2) BMW should have stamped out real front fender vents. I use vinyl overlays and see how good it would have looked.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1197.00
      07-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep

Add this for those who do not know, or did not remember, straight from the horse's mouth:

Dr. Kay Segler (M Division boss who secured the 1M project) when asked during a workshop at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show (Jan 2011) to coin the 1M in a single phrase:
"The 1M is basically a truncated M3 Competition Package with a manual".
He added that the 1M does not need more power and that the production volume was kept low "to keep resale value as high as possible - creating an instant classic".
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1197.00
      07-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #18
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
He added that the 1M does not need more power and that the production volume was kept low "to keep resale value as high as possible - creating an instant classic". [/I]
Oddly enough, not being a 1M owner, that's my least favorite thing about it. With any company that makes goods, from BMW to Rolex to Supreme to Hermes, artificially withholding supply rubs me the wrong way and makes me not want the product, despite the obvious retail/investment advantages of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
touringteg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Since picking up my 1M I have talked to a lot of people who have never seen one. I can't recall seeing many where I live on Vancouver Island.

"What kind of BMW / M car is that?"
"Nice M1!"
"Very nice M2"

My favorite so far from another car enthusiast: "Is that a new car?"

Around here people just don't know what it is. As the OP said you have to get used to educating people on what it is.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1197.00
      07-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

The only thing I don't like about the car is that my wife doesn't like the aesthetics of the car. Oh well.....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep

Neither does my wife, so she refuses to drive it. Too bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #22
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_1m View Post
Two big positives for me:
1. Just love the look of this car! Nothing like it on the road!
2. Such a unique and rare car. I've never seen another 1M in my city, compared to seeing several M2's every week.

Two negatives nothing major, but I had to pick something:
1. iDrive feels outdated.
2. Seats are not as comfortable as I had hoped.

I often find myself thinking of another car that would get me as excited to drive every day, and I can only think of a 991 GT3 with a manual stick. That makes me really appreciate the 1M. What a lovely car it is!
original owner here,

1. Love the look, and feel, and VO is just right, and I care less what others know or don't know about the car.
2. Most fun thing out there on 4 wheels that fit 4.

Only one huge negative is the finish on the console trims and trim on nav screen is coming apart, probably do to me using this vehicle since the day I got it lol

And Yes, the 991 GT3 with a stick is the bomb,

Name:  gt3 and 1M.JPG
Views: 1247
Size:  79.6 KB
Appreciate 0