05-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Point.Shift.Drive: New 1M video

Hi all,
just finished my piece on my 1M. Would love for you all to check it out and feel free to give me some feedback. Good or bad. I am working on getting better and love the interaction. In the meantime, enjoy!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1206.00
      05-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
Hi all,
just finished my piece on my 1M. Would love for you all to check it out and feel free to give me some feedback. Good or bad. I am working on getting better and love the interaction. In the meantime, enjoy!

Black mist.... Overall nice job. I didn't care for random shots at beginning...thought they were disconnected from video. I thought your points and conclusion were accurate and reflected long-term ownership. I have owned mine now 8 years and agree with your points. Your Akra sounds better than mine, do you also have their down pipes?
      05-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
OP, love the video..on a quick side note, where did you get your phone holder? I have one but it hangs off the air vent and I'm not a big fan.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Black mist.... Overall nice job. I didn't care for random shots at beginning...thought they were disconnected from video. I thought your points and conclusion were accurate and reflected long-term ownership. I have owned mine now 8 years and agree with your points. Your Akra sounds better than mine, do you also have their down pipes?
thanks for the feedback...

as for the exhaust... all i have is the evo system with stock downpipes. Not sure why they sound better... i suspect the resonators sound better over time as they get more warn in...maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
OP, love the video..on a quick side note, where did you get your phone holder? I have one but it hangs off the air vent and I'm not a big fan.
just do a search on amazon for magnetic phone mounts. there are lots of stuff out there.. mine is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

"Only 739 sold to the US Market"

So I take you subtracted the Rolex 24-hr VO 1M Pace Car?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
"Only 739 sold to the US Market"

So I take you subtracted the Rolex 24-hr VO 1M Pace Car?
I believe BMW NA kept 1 of the 740 for themselves.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

So I too don't like the choppy intro shots, almost makes me dizzy. Beyond that, I left with an overall "negative" review, almost as if you were looking for things to criticize about the car. I almost expected you to say you were going to sell it and buy a Miata. In fact, the 1M has been reviewed by hundreds of other reviewers, professional and amateur, and the reviews are virtually all super. The car is a one-off legend, instant classic with almost perfect handling. Remember the car is not a track car, BMW made it for retail sale and most of us drive it as such.
I find it odd also that you focus on the exhaust initially. As a DD, or even less frequently driver, a loud obnoxious exhaust just doesn't fly. Even for the 10 or 20 HP it may add, the noise is just too much. Consider also that it was not 20 somethings buying the cars, more like 40 somethings or older.
Same goes for your points on the shifter, again I and most others find it wonderfully smooth.
Perhaps you should re-shoot this entire video, and instead talk about why you've kept it so long.
I have owned four, and currently have two in the garage, so my observations are backed up by personal use.
Finally, smile. People like to watch videos where the host is happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
So I too don't like the choppy intro shots, almost makes me dizzy. Beyond that, I left with an overall "negative" review, almost as if you were looking for things to criticize about the car. I almost expected you to say you were going to sell it and buy a Miata. In fact, the 1M has been reviewed by hundreds of other reviewers, professional and amateur, and the reviews are virtually all super. The car is a one-off legend, instant classic with almost perfect handling. Remember the car is not a track car, BMW made it for retail sale and most of us drive it as such.
I find it odd also that you focus on the exhaust initially. As a DD, or even less frequently driver, a loud obnoxious exhaust just doesn't fly. Even for the 10 or 20 HP it may add, the noise is just too much. Consider also that it was not 20 somethings buying the cars, more like 40 somethings or older.
Same goes for your points on the shifter, again I and most others find it wonderfully smooth.
Perhaps you should re-shoot this entire video, and instead talk about why you've kept it so long.
I have owned four, and currently have two in the garage, so my observations are backed up by personal use.

Thanks for watching and giving me your feedback! I appreciate it very much. BTW, i too had more than one 1M at the same time. I for sure regret selling the other one and actually was trying to hunt it down to buy it back. Go figure!~

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

I did exactly the same thing, and the owner of it found me! But, no sale.

BTW, no intent to be overly critical of your effort. Just the fact that you did it is more than I could have done.

I just love these cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #10
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did exactly the same thing, and the owner of it found me! But, no sale.

BTW, no intent to be overly critical of your effort. Just the fact that you did it is more than I could have done.

I just love these cars.
I totally get it... I for sure didnt mean to come across negative because I love my 1er. I know you dont know me... but for me to own a car for this long is really saying something. I hope to keep mine forever in the family and pass it to my son some day. he is only 1.5 years old so its gunna be a while

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Hmmm........... we seemed to have watched two completely different reviews.

I was certainly left feeling as though BM loved and adored the car and would have no intentions of moving it along. And BMist..... I have to say I share your sentiments. Agree with the others that the opening sequence, although nice to have some intermingled scenes, switched a little too fast, so your eye was not given a chance to focus on what it was looking at before the image changed.

But props to you for the vid, was good to hear your perspective as it's too often we hear the perspective of someone who hasn't even driven the car let alone lived with it.

The number of people I've come across who've said the 1M is not that great a drive, then proceed to admit to have never driven one. 'Yes sir, your opinion on this will head to the same place as last night's curry.'

Nice Vid BM, and great to see you taking all the feedback constructively.
Appreciate 3
      05-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
IZSL07L
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
I think because stock dp is 2.5", if you switched to 3" dp it sounds different. I went with Akra dp because of better sound, has better response even tho some argue you may lose a couple of ponies at the top end.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZSL07L View Post
I think because stock dp is 2.5", if you switched to 3" dp it sounds different. I went with Akra dp because of better sound, has better response even tho some argue you may lose a couple of ponies at the top end.
Id love to hear how your car sounds... you should post up a video!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #14
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Watched this awhile back, probably much tougher than people think to make a video? I subscribed and will give you feedback.....

As to sound, I drive almost exclusively with my windows cracked a bit and with an Akra cat-back and MadDad midpipe the exhaust is very loud.

It makes my ears ring for a awhile after long drives, in fact I have thought about going to the Akra-mid to reduce the noise, if possible, pick up a MadDad mid from another member and possibly it would be loud enough for you? Surprised the full Akra is too quiet?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Watched this awhile back, probably much tougher than people think to make a video? I subscribed and will give you feedback.....

As to sound, I drive almost exclusively with my windows cracked a bit and with an Akra cat-back and MadDad midpipe the exhaust is very loud.

It makes my ears ring for a awhile after long drives, in fact I have thought about going to the Akra-mid to reduce the noise, if possible, pick up a MadDad mid from another member and possibly it would be loud enough for you? Surprised the full Akra is too quiet?
Thanks for the sub! I really appreciate it... and yes, making videos is not easy... You have to enjoy doing it. Otherwise, go spend your weekend doing something else :P

As for the sound, yes it is relatively quiet. The Akra Evo is a good solution. however this is what i experience:
slow speeds - sounds good!
speed up - starts to quiet up a bit
going fast - cant hear it

Thats just what i experience. Your suggestion is a good one... but wonder if that would introduce too much drone

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #16
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
Thanks for the sub! I really appreciate it... and yes, making videos is not easy... You have to enjoy doing it. Otherwise, go spend your weekend doing something else :P

As for the sound, yes it is relatively quiet. The Akra Evo is a good solution. however this is what i experience:
slow speeds - sounds good!
speed up - starts to quiet up a bit
going fast - cant hear it

Thats just what i experience. Your suggestion is a good one... but wonder if that would introduce too much drone
I found that it has some drone at lower speeds and I tend to close the valves just driving around town, then at WOT on an open road with valves open, it gets real loud, so the opposite of what you are experiencing, but it does drone a bit. Some cars just drone, the N54/N55 seem to drone a little with aftermarket exhausts. All cars seem to muffle out when going fast due to wind and tire noise so the fact that I can hear my setup, means it is howling.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #17
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I found that it has some drone at lower speeds and I tend to close the valves just driving around town, then at WOT on an open road with valves open, it gets real loud, so the opposite of what you are experiencing, but it does drone a bit. Some cars just drone, the N54/N55 seem to drone a little with aftermarket exhausts. All cars seem to muffle out when going fast due to wind and tire noise so the fact that I can hear my setup, means it is howling.

If you drove a GT4/GT3 or have an IPE exhaust you would want that sound all the time :P .

totally agree with everything you said though

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00