BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Tallicia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 and 1 series

Garage List
2013 X6  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i M Spo ...  [0.00]
Exclamation DCT Transmission Malfunction N55 stuck in park- Simple awareness goes a long way

So, this might save others considerable headache, or just having to ask a neighbor for a tow home from a couple miles away.

My DCT decided to stay stuck in park upon startup. I had just driven it a few miles, parked, picked up groceries for 15-20 mins, then came out to head home and got a nasty message that indicated driving was possible, but acceleration would be limited.

But I could not shift into reverse or drive. I was stuck in park. So I look under the car, just very little A/C water. No catastrophic explosion or signs of a meteor hitting the transmission.

A few weeks ago, I replaced the valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft, torque and MPG were very good again. I replaced the oil filter housing gasket and walnut blasted the intake ports and valves a couple weeks after and she was becoming very frisky again. And last night I had just replaced the alternator pulley, the 2 deflector pulleys, tensioner with pulleys and serpentine belt. The test drive last night had her purring and squirming with each wiggle of the of my toe and we were very happy. Very very happy indeed.

So, WTF!? I just drove here, everything is running great, the engine is smooth and eager, and all I'm getting is Transmission malfunction!? and I'm stuck and my milk and eggs are not liking this snotty bmw attitude one bit!

So my neighbor arrives, and my neo chrome tow hook becomes functional, not ornamental. I drop the top and we begin the trek home, albeit with less of a fun factor than it should have been. The tow straw actually untied literally just as we were coming to the last turn before the cul de sac and I was able to coast right up to about the sidewalk in the driveway, but no way going to make it up fully. And there's no way we were gonna push it in a garage spot. It's more steep than it looks, just trust me.

We talked briefly about installing some lag bolts and ring to cord pull it in, or winch. I didn't want him to hold up his breakfast with his wife and needed some time to decompress, investigate and think. So begged him to go and I'll see what I can determine.

Well I pull the cabin filter cowl checking for a wire that might have melted or something!? Pull the intake, plastic over the head, and notice the oil pressure sensor plug is waving, "Hi, Good morning, How are you?" right at me. I stare in disbelief. I think If the ECU thinks there is not enough oil pressure, or a bad signal, why not stop the car from generating load..... so let's see if this is it.

So I plug it in, plug the intake sensor back in and start her up. transmission is now happy to go into drive..... reverse... drive... park... drive.. SMFH.

So I slowly drive in to the garage.

I was able to clear all the transmission and engine codes with a Carly bluetooth adapter I had in the glovebox.

Then I reassembled all the bits I took off, when I should have just taken off the one slip and pop plastic cover on the front of the engine and looked for the loose oil pressure sensor wire.

This is probably worth cross posting to many of the DCT / N55 ( or N5x ) areas. But clearly some sensors can have wide reaching impact thanks to various cross ECU logic, that we should all have access to.

Now why have no single indication that this was disconnected until about 5 - 15 miles of driving and then decide to program ECUs to render the car immobilized!? from a protection stand point, ok, but use the damn info system and show what the heck is actually going on!

Also engaging the emergency Neutral when Park is stuck for towing is so absurdly difficult. more so when frantically watching eggs and milk go to waste...

So I must have started and stopped the car two dozen times gone for 4-5 test drives, filled up with E85 mix, covered somewhere around 15 - 25 miles even, and not one indication it was unplugged. I'll check my google maps tracking maybe and see.

TL;DR - Oil Pressure Sensors if disconnected will eventually eliminate the DCT from engaging reverse or drive.

:there's not an emoji or smilie that appropriately captures this: :not even close:
      05-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Good info. BMW is trying to cover for dumb owners! Like, can't drive the car with your door open (or comfort module broken) unless you connect the seatbelt.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
Tallicia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6  [0.00]
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Good info. BMW is trying to cover for dumb owners! Like, can't drive the car with your door open (or comfort module broken) unless you connect the seatbelt.
Even worse! it slams into park if you happen have the door open while attempting to move the car a few inches. smfh
      05-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Did you try to check for codes while stuck in the parking lot? Might have been hindsight for you but this would probably have been one of the first things I would have done, after checking for visible leaks etc same as you did.

Also, not for anything, but I can get my DCT manually into neutral in about 20 seconds. Maybe this was your first time and had to figure it out, but once you know how to do it, it's super easy. It should be part of the introduction to the car in my opinion. This is where the headlight switch is, this is how you open the trunk, this is where the tow hook is, this is how you get the car into neutral, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
Tallicia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6  [0.00]
It's really easy to do in a calm situation. When your food is not rotting next to you and it's not melting hot out and stress is high tho... And also with a good tool...

As for getting codes, I didn't have anything. The car was emptied from finishing work. I had planned to cook breakfast and then clean the car and get everything fully back in order. bad timing in so many silly ways. My carly adapter and laptop were at home. When I got home is when I saw the codes for the engine ( 2 for oil pressure ) and handful for transmission. Once I reconnected the oil pressure sensor every one cleared and have stayed gone.