E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Parallel Parking

01-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #23
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I live in a major city. Drivers here are somewhat more respectfull than in NY, but not by much.

I had a Mercedes ML back up into my bumper under my eyes (I was sitting at the restaurant across the street with LOS to the car) in a very nice neighbourhood. Result: small scratches on front bumper, not really perceptible unless you look closely.

I have been machingunned on the HWY by a f@#$%* truck carrying gravel which was leaking out the back and sauntering along the road looking for new expensive cars to hit (and which of course found me). Result: I am the proud owner of 5 dings which I touched up on the hood and a ding on the windshield which cannot be removed and I have to live with until I trade-in the car). Now my car is truly unique and has character lines that even Bangle couldn't come up with.

Parallel parking can/will result in bumper abuse at the very least. Park in a parking lot and sooner or later some dingo will dent your sides with his/her doors (or runaway shoping cart).

If I expected my car not to have issues such as these, I would not drive.

Time to put things in perspective and enjoy your e90 - try to keep incidents such as these from occuring for as long as possible, but accept the fact that eventualy they will - get over it emotionally before it happens and make life easier on you
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #24
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusinvestor
Wow that is amazing, I never knew such technology even existed. If they had this feature in the US, I would purchase this for sure.
this is already in Japan. Some Toyotas have handsfree P.Parking.

and it's coming in the next Lexus LS, option or standard I don't know. 8 speed transmission, gizmos all over. pitted at the 7series.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #25
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
i also parallel park, and i take forever to do so. my girlfriend usually starts pulling her hair out because i stop and look at distances in front and behind my car, adjust it one more time, and one more time. then i see a better spot and so the process starts again. i usually don't give a shit that there are people waiting for me. their time to me is not worth a ding or even a slightest scratch on my car.

also, i always write license plate numbers down of the cars parked around my car and note their position and what kind of cars they are. when i see any damage on my car in the morning and no note stuck behind my windshield wipers, i'll find the fuckers and visit their lovely household with a baseball bat...
that's pretty good. that's a level of detail i admire and hope to incorporate myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #26
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwannerbie
I parallel park all the time in the city, NYC, as long as I able to find a good spot with enough space in the front and back. Com' on guys, I know you love your car but you don't have to guard it 24/7.
How often do you find a spot in NYC with enough space in the front and back? Even if you do, some idiot is still going to hit you because they can't park.

I'm just curious. How much would it cost if I hire a monkey to guard my car with a bat? Maybe I can pay the monkey with bananas?

It doesn't matter if the cars in the front and back are nice or expensive. Once I saw a RX330 hit a ES330. The RX was pulling in the front of the car but didn't have enough room so it scraped the corner of the rear bumper of the ES.

The parking feature is availabe in the Prius sold in Japan. If you have this parking feature and other people don't, your car will still get bumped. A few more years and maybe all new cars will have it standard.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #27
bimmerwannerbie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 - 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusinvestor
Hah it's funny yo mention this, I was in NYC couple of weeks ago, I saw a navy blue 06 7-Series with one of those bumper guards. I thought it was the funniest thing.
I saw a 7 with that guard thingy parked at a valet parking lot. Just funny that they put the guard on even thou they valet, if so what the heck do they put on at the stree?
      01-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #28
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwannerbie
I saw a 7 with that guard thingy parked at a valet parking lot. Just funny that they put the guard on even thou they valet, if so what the heck do they put on at the stree?
You probably have a higher chance of getting your bumpers damaged with a valet parking lot. All they care about is how fast they park each car.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #29
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
also, i always write license plate numbers down of the cars parked around my car and note their position and what kind of cars they are. when i see any damage on my car in the morning and no note stuck behind my windshield wipers, i'll find the fuckers and visit their lovely household with a baseball bat...
Writing down or taking pictures of the cars around you when parallel parking is not proof of the actual car that caused the damage. After you take the pictures the car can leave without damaging your vehicle and another car can come in that does and could leave before you come out again. You will then assume that it was the car you made note of when it really wasn't.

They should invent an in-car surveilance system. When it detects that it's been bumped a small camera turns on and records the car that did it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #30
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
NYC is one of the worst cities for parallel parking. First of all there is no such thing as a parking spot with "enough space". Combine that with people who have no consideration for anyone's property and total lack of driving/parking skill and you have a disaster. Cars that are routinely parallel parked in this city have more scrapes and scratches on the bumper than regular paint.

I have actually seen a valet parking lot that had a sign saying "not responsible for damage to non-metal bumpers". How many cars have you seen that still have metal bumpers?

Boston is also bad for parallel parking. I remember seeing someone actually bumping the car behind them and literally moving the car back about 1 1/2 feet in order to fit in the spot. They then proceeded to bump the car in front of them several times to get into the spot. In the end, the car were literally pressed together.

Thank goodness I have private parking where I live and I rarely have to park in the city.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #31
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
I wonder if its illegal to have something on your bumper with spikes on it. So when someone hits you, you are not damaged and they get spike damage...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #32
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
I wonder if its illegal to have something on your bumper with spikes on it. So when someone hits you, you are not damaged and they get spike damage...
In the US that is illegal. The only purpose of such a device is to inflict damage to others. Plus the liability cost if someone walking behind the vehicle scrapes/impales themselves… you would have both criminal and civil actions against you. You can have a device for other use, such as a tow hitch, and that may protect you slightly while still being legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Hanson
Writing down or taking pictures of the cars around you when parallel parking is not proof of the actual car that caused the damage. After you take the pictures the car can leave without damaging your vehicle and another car can come in that does and could leave before you come out again. You will then assume that it was the car you made note of when it really wasn't.

They should invent an in-car surveilance system. When it detects that it's been bumped a small camera turns on and records the car that did it.
Finally a post with logic and reason. All those people taking pictures and writing down license numbers are wasting their time. You would need to prove a particular car did the damage. And unless that damage is severe you will not get anyone to investigate. Bumper scrapes are so minor the police and insurance companies never waste their time looking into them. Its near impossible to prove and impossible to collect if proved. Spend that extra time parking in a better place or resign yourself to making an insurance claim before you sell to have the bumper repainted.

Those who go looking for their bumper scraping neighbors need to get a life. Showing up at someone’s door with a bat is a good way to get arrested or shot. You end up with a felony attempted assault charge all because your car gets scraped. Grow up. That must be the most immature thing I have ever read.

RyBMW, my suggestion is weigh the cost of garage parking over some bumper scrapes. $400+ per month for a garaged space in Manhattan is only worth it if you use your car a lot so you will have the convenience of always getting a space. Save the hundreds per month and just repaint the bumpers you sell.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #33
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1
All those people taking pictures and writing down license numbers are wasting their time. You would need to prove a particular car did the damage. And unless that damage is severe you will not get anyone to investigate. Bumper scrapes are so minor the police and insurance companies never waste their time looking into them. Its near impossible to prove and impossible to collect if proved. Spend that extra time parking in a better place or resign yourself to making an insurance claim before you sell to have the bumper repainted.

Those who go looking for their bumper scraping neighbors need to get a life. Showing up at someone’s door with a bat is a good way to get arrested or shot. You end up with a felony attempted assault charge all because your car gets scraped. Grow up. That must be the most immature thing I have ever read.
user1, whatever. you obviously can't read in between lines. when i say i'll show up at someone's house with a baseball bat, that only means that i'll be able to do SOMETHING about the damage on my car. having those license plate numbers in my hands gives me a little more than just "oh shit, someone fucked up my car," doesn't it? you're right, if there is a scratch on my bumper, i'm not gonna be dumb enough to go to the police with it. but if there is a fucking hole in my door because some drunk asshole that parked right next to me backed up to my car and then simply took off, i will have my $500 deductible on multiple-thousand dollar damage in my pocket, while you'd be saying "oh shit, someone fucked up my car." so, please, don't give me your shit about immaturity and wake up! you really don't know what happens to your car an hour later after you park it now, do you? it might be just a scratch, or it might be your entire front flatten.

whatever, i can't believe i just wasted 5 minutes of my life replying to your dumb comment.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #34
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

You guys familiar with the "trunk monkey" series? This would be a good theme.
Appreciate 0