BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
QueenCityLurker
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I

MHD: Freezes when trying to monitor/log car. Please help

Hey all.
Have a N54 135I that I started off bone stock with a MHD stage 1+ tune.
Car felt amazing. Very responsive, nice low end torque.

Then I went stage 2+.
Catless DPs, 7" intercooler, charge pipe and Tial BOV.
Car felt slower than stage 1+ immediately after picking it up from the shop that did the work.
Took the car to another shop and asked them to smoke and pressurize and check for boost leaks. Shop came back with nothing but a big old shrug as they didn't "find anything wrong".

Since then the car has gotten slower and slower. Now, the car feels like an absolute slug. I'm not kidding at all. This thing feels like it's MAYBE 270WHP right now. Like a Phoenix, AZ dumpster fire in mid August.

I bought the MHD monitoring license so I could log the car.
Imagine my surprise when I found that every time I try to monitor, I can get it to monitor for about 15 or so seconds, then the MHD app freezes.

I can replicate this issue with two completely different Android devices.
1) LG G Pad F8 with BimmerGeeks flash cable and BimmerGeeks OTG cable.
2) OnePlus 6T McLaren edition with BimmerGeeks flash cable and BG OTG cable.

For both devices I have uninstalled MHD, delete leftover MHD folders in the Android file system, re-install MHD........issue persists.

Why is this so hard? I just want to log my car so I can see why it's such a turd. So far I am very NOT impressed with stage 2+. Help me get over my buyers remorse of not just bypassing stage 2+ garbage for single turbo. MHD Stage 1+ was fairly impressive. Stage 2+ not so much...

$50 paypal to whoever can help me get my issue resolved!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep
Drives: Highway Sleeper

Gonna ask a few simple checklist questions...

Have you changed your plugs/coils/injectors (index12)?
Have you flashed back to stock (not map 0)? or even back to ST1+
How many Km's (walnut blast time)?
Are you throwing any codes?
Have you gone in to limp mode at all since this started?

FWIW you should be getting ~375WHP
      06-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
QueenCityLurker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieRobotPants View Post
Gonna ask a few simple checklist questions...

Have you changed your plugs/coils/injectors (index12)?
Have you flashed back to stock (not map 0)? or even back to ST1+
How many Km's (walnut blast time)?
Are you throwing any codes?
Have you gone in to limp mode at all since this started?

FWIW you should be getting ~375WHP
Index 12 injectors
Have not yet flashed back to stock or ST1+.
103,000 miles. I bought the car with 80,000 miles. Not sure if previous owner had intake valves cleaned. It is on my to-do list but I don't think that is root cause of my issue.
Codes according to MHD. No active codes. Only shadow:
29F4 - DME: Catalytic-converter conversion.
29F5 - DME: Catalytic-converter conversion 2.
2AAF - DME: Fuel pump, plausibility
Car has not gone in to limp mode.

Thanks for taking the time to ask the questions. I'm more focused on fixing my issue of why the MHD app freezes when I try to monitor. It is freezing on two different Android devices. Both are running the latest version of MHD app available in the Google Play Store.

If I can just get the damn app to not freeze, then I can capture logs and remove the guess work from why this car is a slow turd.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm local up in Greensboro and use the wifi adaptor. No issues with monitoring or flashing. Stage 2+ should be faster than 1+ for sure. Logs will tell you for sure.

Did you do the spark plugs and coils when you flashed 2+? Have you tried monitoring in airplane mode? Let me know if you want to meet up one weekend so you can try it the wifi module on your car and try and troubleshoot in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
QueenCityLurker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo963 View Post
I'm local up in Greensboro and use the wifi adaptor. No issues with monitoring or flashing. Stage 2+ should be faster than 1+ for sure. Logs will tell you for sure.

Did you do the spark plugs and coils when you flashed 2+? Have you tried monitoring in airplane mode? Let me know if you want to meet up one weekend so you can try it the wifi module on your car and try and troubleshoot in person.
Hey bud.
Yes, I did Brisk Racing Silver plugs and new ignition coils the same time I went Stage 2+.
I haven't tried monitoring in airplane mode. I can try that tonight after work and let you know.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I can't get this MHD freezing issue fixed, I might need your help. If thats the case, lunch is on me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityLurker View Post
Hey bud.
Yes, I did Brisk Racing Silver plugs and new ignition coils the same time I went Stage 2+.
I haven't tried monitoring in airplane mode. I can try that tonight after work and let you know.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I can't get this MHD freezing issue fixed, I might need your help. If thats the case, lunch is on me.

Thanks!
Cool, i've never heard of those plugs. I stick with NGK or OEM bosch.

I'll pm you my cell, just hit me up.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
QueenCityLurker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo963 View Post
Cool, i've never heard of those plugs. I stick with NGK or OEM bosch.

I'll pm you my cell, just hit me up.
Thanks for the cell.
Not to side track the thread, but anyone looking for more info on the plugs I'm running can be found here:
https://www.briskracing.com/brisk-sp...rk-plug-detail
I chose over NGK copper / Iridiums due to the much higher conductivity of Silver. You get considerably more spark with the Brisk Silvers. Less strain on the ignition coils to produce spark, so your coils last longer. These plugs can typically handle much more boost/fuel than your typical plug before you get spark blow out as well.
I've run them in about 4-5 tuned turbo cars and they have been outstanding

Now back to the thread!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep

There's also the MHD threads I would check out as well...

N55 - https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1318862

N54 - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ezing&page=499 (Check out post #10968)

Sorry I couldn't be much help but good luck!!!
      06-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
QueenCityLurker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieRobotPants View Post
There's also the MHD threads I would check out as well...

N55 - https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1318862

N54 - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ezing&page=499 (Check out post #10968)

Sorry I couldn't be much help but good luck!!!
Hi Ronnie. This post is a big help. I'm not sure how I missed that N54 thread but I appreciate you pointing me to it!

After watching the video in post 10968, that is precisely the issue I have.
Symptoms: Live monitor works for a period of time. Begin accelerating and the app instantly freezes. When you back out of live monitoring and try to re-launch it, you receive the error "Waiting for last task to finish" Or whatever it says.

I agree with MHD that something is causing a break in the communication but suggesting that it is the OBD2 port or cable doesn't seem like a valid cause. This suggests that movement of the cable plugged in to the OBD2 port is what causes the break in communication.
So all of the driving around of your car, live monitoring for however long just doesn't seem to break that communication, but the moment you tip the throttle in, suddenly it breaks? Highly unlikely.

By the way, I can recreate the same symptoms in that video. Live monitor for a period of time, but go anywhere near 0 mm Hg vacuum or boost, instant freeze.

What seems more likely is there is a shift in the data being communicated between the DME and the MHD app causing the App to freeze. Kind of like an IRQ fault on a PC. I haven't been able to find application logs for the MHD app itself, conveniently
I think GGMR2T was on to something and MHD went with the path of least resistance on that answer LOL.

I need to dig in to that further!

Last edited by QueenCityLurker; 06-23-2020 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityLurker View Post
Hi Ronnie. This post is a big help. I'm not sure how I missed that N54 thread but I appreciate you pointing me to it!
No problem. Not sure why the 1's get the N55 thread and the 3's get the N54. I usually check both from time to time to get pointers.
      06-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
QueenCityLurker
Private
Rep

Ok.
So I started looking in to this MHD app further, thinking there HAS to be some level of app logging going on with the MHD app itself.

Good: I think I found the logs.
Bad: They are saved as a .enc (encrypted/encoded) file, which is some whacky, proprietary file extension. A quick search engine search says this can only be opened by a handful of expensive, "pro" version apps.

I'm 99.99% sure these logs contain sequence events taking place within the MHD app. If we can find a way to de-crypt them and inspect them, I bet they'll give greater information in to what's causing the freeze.

For reference, here is where the logs were saved on my OnePlus 6T McLaren (feel the need to differentiate it's a McLaren. I spent probably too much on this phone but by god is it sexy )

Anyone ever find a way to open one of these up? Notepad / Wordpad / MS Word will just show you foreign characters since the data is encrypted...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #12
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep

I'd take this information over the MHD thread(s). There is at least one guy from MHD who might be abe to help (go to page 1, first post) but a lot of the guys in there are quite savvy with MHD and might be able to help.
      06-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Troubleshooting thread --> https://bmw.***********.com/threads/...ting-faq.6414/

New stuff with MHD thread --> https://bmw.***********.com/threads/...s-thread.6395/

Those are going to be your 2 best places to look right now. Jake does not browse 1addicts that I'm aware of.

Replace ***** with s p o o l s t r e e t
Appreciate 0