BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #133
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Lol what the hell is the point of the RAI when there's going to be a piece designed to "slow down the amount of air" going into it. If what they're saying is true, it beats the point of a RAI. It just means you payed 300 dollars for a shiny new engine bay ornament and some noise. A RAI or CAI by design are purposed to increased airflow into the mixture, increasing the air to fuel ratio, in which case the fuel injectors compensate to a certain degree before sensors start flagging. If you want to actually get gains from this RAI then actually use it and reflash for AFR. Of course, I'd do as much else as possible before reflashing--new exhaust, headers, w/e. Am I right?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #134
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

yes a flash or an ecu tune would take care of that problem for sure. dinan recomends that with any mods like the intake and the exhaust too. im going to be trying out the let flash on sat. i will see if that shows any improvements with my mods. injen prob just tried to make something that is universal for people who cant get a tune or dont want to. but there are still hp gains to be had.

Last edited by shadowiix; 06-19-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:03 AM   #135
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by McReary View Post
Lol what the hell is the point of the RAI when there's going to be a piece designed to "slow down the amount of air" going into it. If what they're saying is true, it beats the point of a RAI. It just means you payed 300 dollars for a shiny new engine bay ornament and some noise. A RAI or CAI by design are purposed to increased airflow into the mixture, increasing the air to fuel ratio, in which case the fuel injectors compensate to a certain degree before sensors start flagging. If you want to actually get gains from this RAI then actually use it and reflash for AFR. Of course, I'd do as much else as possible before reflashing--new exhaust, headers, w/e. Am I right?
imo I dun it it slows the air going...in better words "it controls the right amount of air going in better than stock" =)

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #136
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
using my injen filter since I got my car checked on so I'm guessing the cause was the k&n filter, but it's such a shame because I felt that the k&n filter was so much better than the injen because it sounded a lot nicer and it even felt like there were more performance gains because the filter was bigger, oh well the injen is still better than the stock intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #137
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

do you guys have update from Julis for our GB injen intake..
I am not getting any pms from him....

I would like to pay via paypal for the intake..but looks like he's not responding about this GB
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #138
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
i havent heard anything either, if its not soon I might pull out of the GB and just buy it from another source. sorry to the guys in gd but its been a while and none of us have heard anything
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #139
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

hey shadow, your dyno shows 10+ hp , 10+ tq....
how about your butt dyno.. did you feel much difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #140
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82vette View Post
do you guys have update from Julis for our GB injen intake..
I am not getting any pms from him....

I would like to pay via paypal for the intake..but looks like he's not responding about this GB
frank is taking care of the GB. I'm almost finished on my end of things. I think he's trying to get everyone's info.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #141
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

we have been fine with injen intakes, in stock and ready go to! two choices of color as well

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #142
MsStig128i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

had my own custom intake built

well... it's the same internal diameter pipe as the factory intake just on the outer portion of the airbox (before the maf) and there was a heat shield in the making, but wasn't installed just yet.

the housing for the MAF sensor was built to the same specs as the oem housing as to not create any issues with reading the amount of airflow... but apparently, the ECU needs to be flashed to accept the correct amount of airflow... it's obviously flowing ALOT more than stock and has crippled the A\F ratio ... putting the car into a "limp mode" sucking gas , and no power...

so I've returned the intake to stock and will have the code cleared by the dealership (stealership)---- unless someone here could tell me how to clear the "service engine soon" light--- and once the ecu is flashed, the custom intake (which is not tuned to factory a\f ratios) will be put on the dyno for a proper short ram intake HP gain.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #143
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

where u gonna get the ecu flashed?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #144
MsStig128i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Actually, after doing a complete reboot (by unplugging the battery), the light was still on. Drove it for a few days with the factory intake and after about 100 miles, the light went off. The ECU apparently reset itself by relearning the factory settings.

At this point, if I put the modified intake back on, then the ECU has to be modified to accept the larger air flow into the intake without throwing codes. I'm haven't found a sensor yet; so, it may be that the Dinan software is my only option, which I wanted anyway.

So, to answer your question - I haven't found a company or any individual that can flash the ECU, other than Dinan. So, like you - does anyone know of a company that can modify the factory ECU's setting to accept any modifications to the intake or exhaust...then, my Christmas wish list includes adding the twin turbo. And, yes I could have bought the 135i, but didn't want to spend $10K more for the same car with just a different engine, when I can work with my pit crew, spend less and have more fun. (All of you 135i owners, don't take offense - it's a great looking car and you walked away with more than I started with).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #145
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsStig128i View Post
Actually, after doing a complete reboot (by unplugging the battery), the light was still on. Drove it for a few days with the factory intake and after about 100 miles, the light went off. The ECU apparently reset itself by relearning the factory settings.

At this point, if I put the modified intake back on, then the ECU has to be modified to accept the larger air flow into the intake without throwing codes. I'm haven't found a sensor yet; so, it may be that the Dinan software is my only option, which I wanted anyway.

So, to answer your question - I haven't found a company or any individual that can flash the ECU, other than Dinan. So, like you - does anyone know of a company that can modify the factory ECU's setting to accept any modifications to the intake or exhaust...then, my Christmas wish list includes adding the twin turbo. And, yes I could have bought the 135i, but didn't want to spend $10K more for the same car with just a different engine, when I can work with my pit crew, spend less and have more fun. (All of you 135i owners, don't take offense - it's a great looking car and you walked away with more than I started with).
I thought someone mentioned about once you reset the battery and after the aftermarket intake, the ecu will adopt to new air flow system....
was it not true??
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #146
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
i havent heard anything either, if its not soon I might pull out of the GB and just buy it from another source. sorry to the guys in gd but its been a while and none of us have heard anything
I talked to Frank about the GB he said he's waiting for others to confirm their orders as well as the intakes to come in. They have all the intakes and confirmations, so they will be sending them out tmr

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #147
raceman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82

Many tuners told me same.
Intake alone will not improve anything (except making louder sound, if one looks after it), most likely things will get worse (consumption etc.).
It's kind of snake oil woodoo marketing $hit.
Did ANYONE make dyno comparisons under exactly same circumastances to prove himself what actually changed?
In engine tuning 'theory' benefits might be gathered if improved intake is combined with improved exhaust system (decat in optimal/extreme variant with straight tube after) and adjusted ECU that will recognize and appropriatelly utilize 'new in-out setup'.
In very best scenarios up to 15% can be achieved (I repeat, very, very best scenario), when everything is done right.
125/128 is same 130i engine, so after correct (cracking) ECU tuning to factory specs (around 270 HP), further 20-30 HP requires total replacement of intake-exhaust+ECU optimization.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:02 AM   #148
ManGGouste
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i

I see I'm not the only one whose engine gets too much air.
I've had the yellow engine light twice in 2 weeks.
I guess this phenomenon is increased since the air is cold here (below 0°C).
A garage near my home's got a multi-make diagnostic tool so that he could confirm it was well a air/fuel ratio error and clear it... until it comes back again.
I've ordered the PMS Box hoping that it'll solve the problem, otherwise, I'd be really pissed off.

I've also the Daehler ECU detune (286PS) which is an option but too expensive for the moment in IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #149
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I've only had the CEL once with my intake and this was because I decided to take off the injen filter and replace it with a larger KN filter to suck in more air which clearly lead to a richer consumption in are. Once I put my injen filter back on and had the code reseat by th dealership everything has been fine and I've been driving around with my injen intake for almost a year now without any problems
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #150
ManGGouste
Private
Rep

Well, thanks for your answer.
Did you do it at a BMW dealership without any problem regarding your warranty ?

I wonder if there'd be a difference if I do it at the BMW dealership since I already got the light cleared once.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #151
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGGouste View Post
Well, thanks for your answer.
Did you do it at a BMW dealership without any problem regarding your warranty ?

I wonder if there'd be a difference if I do it at the BMW dealership since I already got the light cleared once.
No problems with warranty but this was because I reinstalled my OEM filter so they had no idea and I blamed the rich air consumtion on my drop in K&N filter
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #152
ManGGouste
Private
Rep

Ahh... you're a crafty one, then.
I guess I'll have to learn how to switch intakes (last time I prefered spending a few bucks to have it done by someone skilled).
Do you guys disconnect the battery while doing it ?

I hope my BMS powerbox won't take too long to come.

One more question : does anyone knows if there are some risks driving with this light on ? I personally don't feel any difference while driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #153
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I have no light with injen since day 1. It takes a normal person about 25min to re and re the intake and no I didn't disconnect battery.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #154
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
no i did not disconnect the battery
Appreciate 0