BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

10-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #45
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

No group buy "yet". I'll see if I can make a install video on our next install unless someone beats me to it..

Great write up fireflyer I told ya you would love it !

If I missed any questions please pm me with them

Check out the performance section under your car model for the tuner or click below
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #46
ryanpick
turboless
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Nice review, i have to admit watching the install video(for the 135) dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. Still looks like a must buy and a good value i'm just not sure about the install. If anyone in the Bay Area, CA is going to be installing one in i'd love to swing buy and do mine at the same time or possibly i can find someone to do the install on Craigslist....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #47
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Bring on the group buy and I'm in!
      10-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #48
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
i'm gonna wait for some local results first, but yeah i'd be happy for a group buy pending that doesn't look too hard to install, i've been disassembling computers and playing with a soldering iron since i was in school so looks like a walk in the park.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #49
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
i'm gonna wait for some local results first, but yeah i'd be happy for a group buy pending that doesn't look too hard to install, i've been disassembling computers and playing with a soldering iron since i was in school so looks like a walk in the park.
You can dooooo it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #50
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

This was my first pinout install and it took us 30 minutes it really wasnt that hard but I can understand people being nervous.

The tunes are selling extremely well so I do not see a group buy in the near future but i can tell you there is nothing on the market that can make this kind of power for the price.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #51
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
You can dooooo it!!
This conjures up memories of the governator in a really cheesy car ad that's running here.

Just one thing - are you running MT or AT? Because if you're already running MT then I may not need the chip; i have the auto, and in sports mode the throttle response is imho quite violent already (jap the throttle, neck goes snap)... not good for everyday use but for spirited driving it's more than satisfying!

In contrast, the normal D mode is like a slug, the engine reacts about 0.5-1.0 second behind the throttle and it makes a lot of noise without producing much movement. Although admittedly after a hard day's work, it is just what the doctor ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #52
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmm, I didn't know about the AT sport mode. I have the MT. Still, if the tune can give you 8-10 lb/ft of torque in the range you're driving most, I personally see that as being worth it. If we could get 40 hp and 40 lb/ft for $1100, we'd jump all over it, right? So isn't this worth $279?

I think maybe I need to start selling some of this stuff myself lol...run some great group buys just to get my name established. Ciao!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #53
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMS View Post
This was my first pinout install and it took us 30 minutes it really wasnt that hard but I can understand people being nervous.
This was my first time opening the hood of my car, and it took me just under an hour and a half. Some of that time was spent just looking for the damn dipstick...kidding.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #54
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
this mod requires soldering? (sorry i havnt looked at the instructions).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #55
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyloft View Post
this mod requires soldering? (sorry i havnt looked at the instructions).
No it doesn't... just saying I've got some electrical experience is all. I haven't seen the instructions either, but it seems like a solder-free process... just lots of fiddly unplugging and replugging
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #56
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

just a bunch of counting unplug insert new wire and plug the original into the female end and tape. X 7 Done.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #57
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

So, any update from Fireflyer on the BMS box, how are you liking it after living with it for a week?
      11-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #58
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Checking in one week later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
So, any update from Fireflyer on the BMS box, how are you liking it after living with it for a week?
Thanks for asking Janus - I'm loving it and there are benefits beyond what I've mentioned already. Additionally, I've turned it off and back on in order to sample the difference, which is quite noticeable in terms of feel and throttle response. Feels like the car was half asleep before and now it has been woken up! I have also run more roll-on accel tests to verify the improvement, and am very pleased with the results - the gain is for real (final gain is a .5 second improvement during 3rd gear roll-on from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm).

I want to say again that the "steps" I used to feel when accellerating under part throttle are gone, and now it is a very smooth and energetic pull all the way up. You can feel the few extra ponies when going hard, but the best part is the increased and smoother torque, and the benefits are: The engine is happier being lugged down in higher gears now, so I'm shifting earlier because I can basically, and using 6th gear much more when cruising on secondary roads and in traffic. Before, at 1500 rpm in 6th, the engine would moan a lot but not feel happy about having to move the car. Now, it actually responds with forward motion and more smoothness. I am getting a full 1 MPG better while still dipping into the throttle whenever I want to, same as before.

Maybe the best part of it all is that I've almost forgotten it's there because it just works perfectly and calls no attention to itself whatsoever. The car just drives much more like I think it should from the factory. My opinion is that if you can afford a 30K-plus car, you absolutely owe it to yourself to spend the $279 for this excellent mod. Lots of people spend $300 for the "Sprint Booster" and report great results and say it's well worth it. Well, this tune gives you all that product does in terms of awesome response...along with 8-10 more HP and LB/FT plus a bit more mileage and much improved smoothness!

C'mon 128 owners - we've been asking for some attention for a while now - well, someone has listened! However, if we don't pony up and purchase this and other mods for our N/A rides, we won't be taken seriously in the future and further development won't happen. I will be happy to give phone support to anyone installing this tune, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #59
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
im patiently waiting for mine to come
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #60
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
im patiently waiting for mine to come
so am i (waiting for yours that is)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #61
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
so am i (waiting for yours that is)
I seem to be the guinea pig for all the Australian 125i mods or just eager to try the mods out myself
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #62
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Nice one, we need a guinea pig... can't wait to hear your feedback on it.
      11-04-2009, 03:04 AM   #63
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Thanks for asking Janus - I'm loving it and there are benefits beyond what I've mentioned already. Additionally, I've turned it off and back on in order to sample the difference, which is quite noticeable in terms of feel and throttle response. Feels like the car was half asleep before and now it has been woken up! I have also run more roll-on accel tests to verify the improvement, and am very pleased with the results - the gain is for real (final gain is a .5 second improvement during 3rd gear roll-on from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm).

I want to say again that the "steps" I used to feel when accellerating under part throttle are gone, and now it is a very smooth and energetic pull all the way up. You can feel the few extra ponies when going hard, but the best part is the increased and smoother torque, and the benefits are: The engine is happier being lugged down in higher gears now, so I'm shifting earlier because I can basically, and using 6th gear much more when cruising on secondary roads and in traffic. Before, at 1500 rpm in 6th, the engine would moan a lot but not feel happy about having to move the car. Now, it actually responds with forward motion and more smoothness. I am getting a full 1 MPG better while still dipping into the throttle whenever I want to, same as before.

Maybe the best part of it all is that I've almost forgotten it's there because it just works perfectly and calls no attention to itself whatsoever. The car just drives much more like I think it should from the factory. My opinion is that if you can afford a 30K-plus car, you absolutely owe it to yourself to spend the $279 for this excellent mod. Lots of people spend $300 for the "Sprint Booster" and report great results and say it's well worth it. Well, this tune gives you all that product does in terms of awesome response...along with 8-10 more HP and LB/FT plus a bit more mileage and much improved smoothness!

C'mon 128 owners - we've been asking for some attention for a while now - well, someone has listened! However, if we don't pony up and purchase this and other mods for our N/A rides, we won't be taken seriously in the future and further development won't happen. I will be happy to give phone support to anyone installing this tune, let me know.

mine is shipping now, I may need you help with the installation =) I'm not too worry about installing it myself if a proper instruction is provided

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #64
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzi View Post
mine is shipping now, I may need you help with the installation =) I'm not too worry about installing it myself if a proper instruction is provided
Will be glad to.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #65
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMS View Post
No group buy "yet". I'll see if I can make a install video on our next install unless someone beats me to it..

Great write up fireflyer I told ya you would love it !

If I missed any questions please pm me with them

Check out the performance section under your car model for the tuner or click below

Any news on the install video Andrew?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #66
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

sounds great.. I'd say i'm 90% sure i'll buy one. Just waiting for our local guinea pig to give some feedback once it arrives