BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

PCDers interested in Huper Optik tint?

I looked into a ceramic film for the 135 and seeing another members car here done with Huper Optik I am considering having this done at the same shop as him right after my PCD. Id rather go there seeing the work was well done versus risking an unknown local shop.

There are a few guys interested so maybe we can work something out with the shop owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I am interested and was planning on doing it anyway. So, a GB is welcome

Planning on doing the same paint protection install as v1k0d3n as well. I'm not sure if anyone else is doing that to qualify for GB.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

I am in and yes you do need an RS 4
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I looked into a ceramic film for the 135 and seeing another members car here done with Huper Optik I am considering having this done at the same shop as him right after my PCD. Id rather go there seeing the work was well done versus risking an unknown local shop.

There are a few guys interested so maybe we can work something out with the shop owner.
I got huper optik on mine...LOVE IT. the color hue is a truer black. can post pictures later if you'd like. that said, steve in charlotte is awesome (i've said this a lot in the past), and there's also a guy in greenville that he spoke very highly about as well. i can try to find out his name if you're not coming through charlotte...otherwise...i'd consider steve.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Okay, pls excuse my ignorance. What's so special with huber optic as opposed to 3M crystalline? Unless you live in the sticks, I'm sure it's not that difficult to find a reputable installer. I'm interested in tint and ppf, but may do it locally to me. Consider me kinda interested.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
Okay, pls excuse my ignorance. What's so special with huber optic as opposed to 3M crystalline? Unless you live in the sticks, I'm sure it's not that difficult to find a reputable installer. I'm interested in tint and ppf, but may do it locally to me. Consider me kinda interested.
mike, honestly...the 3M is a better film (for heat and UV). it has a little more of a brown tint to it though, so it really comes down to looks. i chose huper because of the hue factor, but also because the huper appeared to be darker for the same level of tint (this is their goal...to "look" darker than it is...and it does it well) and also because the huper appears to have better clarity. clarity could be debatable though, depending on who's looking at it. hope that helps! you may be able to see the differences in my previous posts when looking at the films in the near/up-close pictures.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
mike, honestly...the 3M is a better film (for heat and UV). it has a little more of a brown tint to it though, so it really comes down to looks. i chose huper because of the hue factor, but also because the huper appeared to be darker for the same level of tint (this is their goal...to "look" darker than it is...and it does it well) and also because the huper appears to have better clarity. clarity could be debatable though, depending on who's looking at it. hope that helps! you may be able to see the differences in my previous posts when looking at the films in the near/up-close pictures.
I guess the question is how much 'better' the 3M product is over Huper? 10% ... 5% in terms of UV and heat?

Since I'm in Atlanta, UV and heat reduction is important, but I'm sure I'd rather sacrifice a little bit for a cleaner look.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I'd be down for a GB on the 3M clear bra. Since I'm in Texas, I'd rather go with the Crystalline. Maybe they can provide GB pricing for both.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

if you guys are interested in a visit through charlotte (which is actually a pretty cool/hopping town), call steve at autoshield. ///M1, I know you were asking about saturdays. with an appt, i think they could work something out for ya. there is also someone in greenville that is apparently really good as well (and certified by 3M for PPF) in greenville, but i'd have to ask steve what his name is again.

number: 704-321-0505
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Since I'm in Atlanta, UV and heat reduction is important, but I'm sure I'd rather sacrifice a little bit for a cleaner look.
both films are going to block UV/heat, but this is really where 3M's strengths are. Living in NC and north...I'd be perfectly content with huper just for the look and clarity. Huper was just more "black" to me. If I had an earth toned car with a brown/tan interior...I would've gone with the 3M.

Huper is on the left, 3M Crystalline is on the right. The look is more drastic in person than it is in pictures.

The huper definitely has better optical clarity. 3M Crystalline is actually hundreds of nano-layers compressed together, making one film. It's not as clear as huper and it may have a brown hue to it, but it blocks something like 95+% of UV (this of course depends on what % of tint you go with).

EDIT: no matter WHERE you go to get your car tinted...ALWAYS ask to see some samples of the film on your car before you decide. This will really help in making a better decision.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 10-10-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
both films are going to block UV/heat, but this is really where 3M's strengths are. Living in NC and north...I'd be perfectly content with huper just for the look and clarity. Huper was just more "black" to me. If I had an earth toned car with a brown/tan interior...I would've gone with the 3M.

Huper is on the left, 3M Crystalline is on the right. The look is more drastic in person than it is in pictures.

The huper definitely has better optical clarity. 3M Crystalline is actually hundreds of nano-layers compressed together, making one film. It's not as clear as huper and it may have a brown hue to it, but it blocks something like 95+% of UV (this of course depends on what % of tint you go with).

EDIT: no matter WHERE you go to get your car tinted...ALWAYS ask to see some samples of the film on your car before you decide. This will really help in making a better decision.
woo that's helpful. how much is your tint overall? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
woo that's helpful. how much is your tint overall? Thanks.
only 40% because i wanted to stay within legal limits. in NC the only way to get out of a ticket is to pay to have it removed...and i'm not really down with taking the chance. the Huper becomes more pronounced in color and clarity as you go darker in tint.

Edit: Wait...did you mean overall tint % or cost?

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 10-10-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Illinois has some wacky tint laws and I'm expecting to move in Summer 2012, so I may wait until I know where I'm moving to. If anything, I'll get the ppf done immediately....or I can just go with the lighter tint and still reap the UV benefits. I would hate to move to a new state in the Summer that does not allow front tint.

Below are the latest tint laws enacted in 2009:

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

More Legal Combinations

1. 30-35% in the rear/up to 50% front
2. If you have below 30% tint in the rear, you cannot have front tint.
3. If you have an MPV, which include but are not limited to, SUVs, Station Wagons, minivans, Toasters, etc., and said MPV has factory installed privacy glass (smoked), you are allowed to have up to 50% tint in front.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Let me go a little further to show what 40% tint would look like with Huper Optik film. And btw...you'd want 40% tint if say your state only allows for 35% tint. Most manufacturers have a slight +/-5% tint from the factory, so that will put you right at 35%. A quality tint shop will certify their work. This is important if you get pulled over for tint (which most likely you won't, unless the officer is having a bad day).

You notice...it looks MUCH darker than a normal 40% would look in other tints (it's actually pretty dramatic). Sorry for the very crappy iPhone pictures...

Outside, overcast day:

And inside a VERY well L.E.D. lit parking garage:

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:

I'm on the same boat as you and doing PCD.

How much $$ might this be?
I'm in if the price is right.
      10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOPY11 View Post
I am in and yes you do need an RS 4
The one I had looked at was actually bright orange. Cant have 2 orange cars.

Quote:
Oddly I would want my film to be as light as possible so for the same protection Id opt for whichever was lighter. The brown hue and lack of clarity does become an issue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
I'm on the same boat as you and doing PCD.

How much $$ might this be?
I'm in if the price is right.
In So Cal I had a quote for the 135 at $500 and that was in 2008. I have no idea what it would be today. Ill give the shop a call tomorrow and see if I can negotiate something for all of us.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I'm getting Huper Optik 40 installed tomorrow for $300 if that helps give you guys an idea.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

If you have Comfort Access don't do it. I did a Huper Optik tint and it reduced Comfort Access to barely functioning. It does not recognize the key in my pocket half the time and sometimes I cannot get into the car at all without pressing the remote button.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
If you have Comfort Access don't do it. I did a Huper Optik tint and it reduced Comfort Access to barely functioning. It does not recognize the key in my pocket half the time and sometimes I cannot get into the car at all without pressing the remote button.

No CA for me, mine is a stripper + iPod

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #20
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I'm getting Huper Optik 40 installed tomorrow for $300 if that helps give you guys an idea.
Thanks for the tip, that helps me A LOT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Thats why I opted against the tint on my 135 and thats the ONLY bright side to not getting CA on the M.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, that helps me A LOT!!!!

Thats why I opted against the tint on my 135 and thats the ONLY bright side to not getting CA on the M.
FYI, the original price was $350. I offered $300 cash and they agreed.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

Steve at auto shield did mine with 3m crystalline. Looks great to me. But on a VO car. I cam imagine might be just a bit brownish against a true black.

$375 installed. And I did the windshield at 20% for $100. I unfortunately park outside a lot and wanted the dash etc to have uv protection.

He also did full paint protection for me. Looks awesome. Front bumper, Full hood, full fenders, a pillars, front 1/4 of roof, mirrors, rockers, rear fender impact area, door handle recess, luggage area.
Appreciate 0