BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Independent Service vs Dealer Service

What is everyone's opinion on independent mechanics vs the dealer for our now 10 year old cult classics? I have up until fairly recently always been ok with my dealer's service - some minor issues (but nothing crazy) and they have been good about loaners, appointments, etc. and making things right if the screw something up. The extra cost for dealer service has not been a major issue.

However, staring last year and continuing this fall, I have had a couple of issues that aren't explainable (all with my F80):

1. Forgetting to put the state inspection sticker on after the inspection
2. My car not showing up on there service calendar even when showing up with a car (2x in a row) - appointments were booked both through the phone and in person
3. Promised loaners that aren't available and I live to far away (~30 min) for them to shuttle me back to my place (2x in a row) - forcing me to actually drive back to my house without servicing my car

Part of me wants to chock it up to Covid, however my experience with servicing my wife's Lexus during Covid has been excellent.

My 1M is due next month and I am having a debate whether it makes sense to go independent or stay with the dealer. With modern rare cars, there has generally been a premium if you ever sell (don't plan on it) with 100% recorded dealer service vs independents. Also, as we all know there are some weird service quirks to the 1M (different oil than other M cars, etc.) that dealers have missed and that I would think would definitely be missed by an independent.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

My dealer here in AZ has been great, and not too much more of a premium than an independent shop. It's also nice that they only charge $20 a day for a loaner and that includes gas. I would agree on the fluids - and I asked my SA prior about them and they knew exactly the fluids required for the vehicle.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

I think you already know the answer, take it to the Lexus dealer… jk, but to an Indy who appreciates your business. The 1M is a very special car, my favorite car by far, but let’s all go ahead and admit that it has the same N54 as thousands of other BMWs; so it will be familiar to service techs. If you take your 1M to an Indy and they don’t know what it is or won’t use the fluids you request, I’d go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Many dealerships rely on on-line scheduling for service appointments which don't ever get transferred to the service advisors calendars. I would contact them person-to-person to schedule and get a confirmation of a loaner (who pays for a loaner from a dealership??). I think that takes a lot of the disappointment out of your scheduled service.

Now, whether to go Dealer or Independent depends completely on the quality of your dealership and your choices in independents.
Appreciate 0