BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

My temperature light momentarily flashed on 2 of last 3 drives

My 2011 E88 135i, with only 37,000 miles hiccupped on me last week and I am hoping I can describe it to see if anyone has had the same occurrence.

I will describe the occurrences before I ask my question.

One evening last week I was out playing a little with the top down and enjoying the sounds and acceleration. Just before I got home I merged off into a turn lane and leaned on it a little and it suddenly reduced power and the thermometer for water temperature popped up on the display for only a second (oil temp was at normal 250 for a summer day in SC). I drove the remaining mile home and it didn't occur again. I popped the hood when I got home and it had burped a little coolant out also.

The next evening I drove it again with no issues.

The third day I drove it the six miles to work and it drove fine until I got home and backed it up in front of the garage. When I set the brake and put the DCT in park the fan suddenly ran up to high speed and the thermometer popped up again, but only for a second. Again, oil temperature was normal (~250). Usually, I turn the car off outside and open the hood to let the heat dissipate outside rather than in my garage. This time, since the fan was running full speed I left it running and went to open the hood. As soon as I opened the hood the fan slowed down to normal.

Has anyone seen a similar occurrence?

From what I am reading, usually you get more miles from a water pump, but I am wondering if time (7 years) and heat are affecting the controls on either the water pump or thermostat, since both are computer controlled and subject to heat soak in their location.

I have a diagnostic appointment scheduled for Tuesday with my local indy so I can see what codes are present and don't just replace parts because I think they may be bad.

I am hoping someone has seen this before so I can have a good understanding of the failure mode that is happening.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Last edited by Tenspeed; 07-19-2018 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenspeed View Post
My 2011 E88 135i, with only 37,000 miles hiccupped on me last week and I am hoping I can describe it to see if anyone has had the same occurrence.

I will describe the occurrences before I ask my question.

One evening last week I was out playing a little with the top down and enjoying the sounds and acceleration. Just before I got home I merged off into a turn lane and leaned on it a little and it suddenly reduced power and the thermometer for water temperature popped up on the display for only a second (oil temp was at normal 250 for a summer day in SC). I drove the remaining mile home and it didn't occur again.

The next evening I drove it again with no issues.

The third day I drove it the six miles to work and it drove fine until I got home and backed it up in front of the garage. When I set the brake and put the DCT in park the fan suddenly ran up to high speed and the thermometer popped up again, but only for a second. Again, oil temperature was normal (~250). Usually, I turn the car off outside and open the hood to let the heat dissipate outside rather than in my garage. This time, since the fan was running full speed I left it running and went to open the hood. As soon as I opened the hood the fan slowed down to normal.

Has anyone seen a similar occurrence?

From what I am reading, usually you get more miles from a water pump, but I am wondering if time (7 years) and heat are affecting the controls on either the water pump or thermostat, since both are computer controlled and subject to heat soak in their location.

I have a diagnostic appointment scheduled for Tuesday with my local indy so I can see what codes are present and don't just replace parts because I think they may be bad.

I am hoping someone has seen this before so I can have a good understanding of the failure mode that is happening.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Time for a new water pump. There are dozens of threads about this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
Tenspeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

MightyMouseTech, that is what I figured. I talked with one of our compressor techs a minute ago (I am currently in tech support for a large compressor manufacturer) who was a BMW service tech for a while and he said the water pump/thermostat are set to go at about 8 years anyway, so miles isn't always the key.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenspeed View Post
MightyMouseTech, that is what I figured. I talked with one of our compressor techs a minute ago (I am currently in tech support for a large compressor manufacturer) who was a BMW service tech for a while and he said the water pump/thermostat are set to go at about 8 years anyway, so miles isn't always the key.
Damn, I was hoping I was safe for a while with my 34k mile 2008... Guess I should expect/plan on this
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Failure time/miles is all over the board, hard to predict anything. Think theres a poll on failure point which tells you nothing... could be 20k-100k miles or 3-x yrs lol. My 135 went at about 4yrs 45k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Damn, I was hoping I was safe for a while with my 34k mile 2008... Guess I should expect/plan on this
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I was going to do mine pre-emptively at 60k but never got there...
Mine crapped out at 52k.