BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2023, 07:51 PM   #1
hpcaub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Radiator hose or something burst!

Pulling out of a parking lot on a hot day and suddenly water and steam are everywhere in the front of the engine compartment. My car is 2008 135i with about 130k miles on it. Had the car towed home and it's sat in the garage for the last week. After doing a little research, I'm guessing it's likely the coolant hose flange that looks like mickey mouse ears has gone bad. Does this sound right? Is this a 2 hour job or a 10 hour job for a somewhat mechanical DIY person?

Also, is there an aftermarket part this is a better replacement for the plastic part?

Thanks!
      07-07-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
bnace10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i DCT Lemans Blue

Honestly, without a picture nobody can say.

Could be the mickey mouse flange (replace with Rein metal flange regardless while you're in there). Could also be the upper rad hose, any of the many crossover pipes, expansion tank, etc.

If it is the mickey mouse flange, or you decide to preventative-ly replace it, it's a 30 minute job max. Just check a YouTube video. It's very simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #3
JustAnotherSportsCar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i E88

That is likely the failure point, but it could be any of the connections. I recently completed this repair while I was replacing turbos and upgrading other items. I’d say if it is your first time really digging into the engine and you are taking your time to be sure you are doing things correctly, it will probably take 6 hours, give or take an hour or so. If you are experienced, then 2 hours is probably realistic.

I’d pull the radiator fan for extra room. I replaced mine with the URO Parts aluminum replacement that came attached to a new hose. It was inexpensive and of good quality. Some will sell you just the aluminum fitting, but the way the original clamp is designed, I was scared that I’d damage the tube removing it. New was a mistake proof way to go. Just be sure to lube the o-ring up with some silicone grease.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50