BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
N54 secondary cat delete

Hey guys, I'm looking into doing some exhaust modifications. I currently have catless dps and I'm considering deleting the secondary cats for some extra flow and sound but I plan on keeping the stock axleback as I don't care enough about sound to do a full exhaust system for 1k+. I'm considering having a muffler shop just cut out the cats and straight pipe the oem midpipe instead of buying a new midpipe. Is there a reason why more people don't do this? It seems much more cost effective than buying mids for $500+. I'm assuming there's a good reason why you'd want to buy mid pipes instead of modifying the oem one. What is that reason?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking into doing some exhaust modifications. I currently have catless dps and I'm considering deleting the secondary cats for some extra flow and sound but I plan on keeping the stock axleback as I don't care enough about sound to do a full exhaust system for 1k+. I'm considering having a muffler shop just cut out the cats and straight pipe the oem midpipe instead of buying a new midpipe. Is there a reason why more people don't do this? It seems much more cost effective than buying mids for $500+. I'm assuming there's a good reason why you'd want to buy mid pipes instead of modifying the oem one. What is that reason?
Maybe 'cause you could just switch out the catless midpipes for the catted ones when inspection time comes around...

I'm interested in doing a secondary cat delete/N55 midpipes swap eventually
      12-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Quote:
Maybe 'cause you could just switch out the catless midpipes for the catted ones when inspection time comes around...

I'm interested in doing a secondary cat delete/N55 midpipes swap eventually
I heard you can still pass without the secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
I heard you can still pass without the secondary cats?
In Virgina: You can pass the OBD2 emissions inspection without secondary cats, 'cause they're not monitored by the computers. However, you may fail the visual inspection due to the missing secondaries, however, they take some looking for, so some inspectors may still pass your car, even though it technically doesn't. And you can pass with no primary cats because you can have one non-ready system on the OBD2 emissions inspection, and, because they're buried in engine, they're unlikely to be a visual inspection item.
      12-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

I blew mine out with 2 step, so my bubble is still is still visibke for inspections
Appreciate 1