BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
rvm1990
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Radiator fan at full speed + power loss (no overheating)

Hi all, this is my first post so any help is greatly appreciated!
I've owned a 2011 135i with 25k miles for the past year (N55 engine). Recently, I started noticing that the radiator fan keeps turning on at full speed, sometimes for short bursts and sometimes for quite a while. The car is not showing any signs of overheating (this can happen right after turning it on in the morning) and I checked the water pump and it is working just fine. At the same time, I started noticing that sometimes, when upshifting and right when the new gear kicks in or when pressing full throttle at 2-3.5k revs, there is a massive power loss, as if the turbo was not spooling. At high revs power comes back on. This is not as common as the radiator fan issue, and usually happens only when car is warmed up, but both issues started happening at the same time, so my gut says they are connected. I've taken the car to my mechanic and he says there were no error codes.
I've digged through posts and cannot with someone who had these same symptoms. Any tips on what to check? Thanks!!
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
More than likely your water pump is beginning to fail. Just happened to me. Same exact symptoms, even the power loss between gears. Mine would give me the overheating CEL after driving it for more than 20 mins. If I drove less than that it wouldn't give me the warning light.

Replaced the pump and thermostat and back to normal.

Here's a thread that may help

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798195
      05-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvm1990 View Post
Hi all, this is my first post so any help is greatly appreciated!
I've owned a 2011 135i with 25k miles for the past year (N55 engine). Recently, I started noticing that the radiator fan keeps turning on at full speed, sometimes for short bursts and sometimes for quite a while. The car is not showing any signs of overheating (this can happen right after turning it on in the morning) and I checked the water pump and it is working just fine. At the same time, I started noticing that sometimes, when upshifting and right when the new gear kicks in or when pressing full throttle at 2-3.5k revs, there is a massive power loss, as if the turbo was not spooling. At high revs power comes back on. This is not as common as the radiator fan issue, and usually happens only when car is warmed up, but both issues started happening at the same time, so my gut says they are connected. I've taken the car to my mechanic and he says there were no error codes.
I've digged through posts and cannot with someone who had these same symptoms. Any tips on what to check? Thanks!!
Man, I have the EXACT same issues as you, I feel like we're kindred spirits. Same year 135 and everything. I have a loss of power under 3k rpms, car rips above 3k, slowish in any gear besides 1st and 2nd. I attribute this to bad spark plugs after some thread feedback.
About two weeks after this happened, I get the crazy loud fans and I overheated, which I'm assuming is the water pump and thermostat. I don't think they are connected, I just think these cars are fragile and break alot. There are a million potholes on my drive to work, wondering if all the clunking is damaging parts under the hood.
      05-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Water pump beginning to fail (as opposed to actually failing) can manifest in many ways. When mine was going, I would get hesitation when I floored it, like I hadn't done anything. Also, I was actually running 10-20 degrees cooler than normal, which threw me off.

It was explained to me that the system senses the pump isn't working well and the whole cooling system goes into overdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Water pump beginning to fail (as opposed to actually failing) can manifest in many ways. When mine was going, I would get hesitation when I floored it, like I hadn't done anything. Also, I was actually running 10-20 degrees cooler than normal, which threw me off.

It was explained to me that the system senses the pump isn't working well and the whole cooling system goes into overdrive.
Yep, same as well, the overcooling really threw me off...
      05-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
1mang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I had something similar of a massive power loss. Turns out it was a blown fuse. Try checking your fuse box to see if something is up with your electricals...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252277
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
rvm1990
Registered
Rep

Thanks everyone, I'm hoping the water pump is the issue. I've also considered spark plugs - the car has the BMW power kit and it says to change spark plugs at ~40k miles, but since it's 7 years old and hasn't reached the miles it may also be time for that. Today I got my first CEL right when I felt a power loss, so at least there are some codes to check which weren't there before.
I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
rvm1990
Registered
Rep

So, after taking the car to the mechanic it finally showed a water pump code. Already ordered a new one. The spark plugs seem fine, so I won't change them for now. It seems the chargepipe was beginning to fail and crack, so that might be behind the power loss. I also ordered a new one, we'll see if that solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Not to stir the pot but wouldnt AC failure or an AC delete cause the AUX fan to run at 100%?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #10
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvm1990 View Post
So, after taking the car to the mechanic it finally showed a water pump code. Already ordered a new one. The spark plugs seem fine, so I won't change them for now. It seems the chargepipe was beginning to fail and crack, so that might be behind the power loss. I also ordered a new one, we'll see if that solves the issue.
Same here, makes me think the torque app and the mhd scanner don't pull all codes, I had several when the mechanic ran the scan on their device.
      05-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #11
1mang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Same here, makes me think the torque app and the mhd scanner don't pull all codes, I had several when the mechanic ran the scan on their device.
You're right. In my experience, not all ODBII readers are equal. The more sophisticated ones (autologic, even cobb accessport) will show "phantom" codes that not necessarily throws a CEL light.
Appreciate 1