BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
mrleisure
Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo

Screw in Tire

I woke up this morning and went off to wash and polish the car since it was a gorgeous day and the forecast looks promising for the next week. As I am inspecting the tires, I notice a screw in the front left tire. No faults showing up on the computer regarding low tire pressure, and the tire itself seems fine. Also, I am running on the stock run-flat tires. I decide that I will bring it to the local tire place and see what they can do after I finish washing my car.

After checking in and turning over my key to the mechanic, he says he is pretty sure he can patch/plug the tire as long as it isn't damaged. Being run-flat tires, I knew this is complicated and some people won't fix them, while others will try. Regardless, I was planning on just ordering a new tire and having it patched if he could. Well, I walked down the street for lunch and came back about 30 minutes to see my car outside. The mechanic runs out and shows me the screw. He then proceeds to tell me, it never even punctured the rubber! It was merely lodged in there very well. He never had to take off the tire and performed a thorough inspection while it was up on the lift. No damage. And no charge.

So in the end, everything was fine. I felt kind of silly in the end, however, I'm thinking I would have felt even more silly if I had tried to pull out the screw and see if it was really punctured into the tire myself, only to find that was now deflating the tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

A lot of people here will tell you run flat cannot be plugged or patched, but I've plugged my run flat with no obvious problem.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
runflats can be patched in a pinch, but supposedly won't perform as they should if the tire is punctured again. I've had garages look at metal or screws in a sidewall before, just feel more comfortable getting it done at a garage because if something is wrong you are right where it can be fixed. Working around a lot of construction sites, I've had my fair share of punctures over the years.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Best advice I've seen on plugs and run flats is two fold. First, if you are going to plug get the plug installed from the inside. There is a plug with an integral patch and a plug with a mushroom head. Both seem to work about the same but both have to be installed from the inside. Plugging from the inside also lets the mechanic see if there is significant damage to the construction of the tire - and if there is it is not safe to plug it.

Second, the high speed operation of a plugged tire is a bit questionable. At any even semi-legal speed I don't think it's a consideration but well over 100 mph may not make a lot of sense on a tire with a plug in it. While the plug can hold air, it does not restore the tire to the same condition as it was before the puncture. We shouldn't drive these speeds anyway unless we are on a track so I do not see this as a big deal.

Jim
      06-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
The tread face of a run flat tire is the same as a non-run flat tire...it's merely the sidewalls that are different.

So long as you did not drive on the run flat while flat (no air pressure), having it fixed, apart from the more robust equipment required to remove / install the tire on the wheel, having it fixed with a proper patch (mushroom type, with a rubber plug and patch) is no different than having a normal tire fixed...which is to say, no loss of tire integrity.

Where you run into trouble is when the shop either doesn't have the equipment required to re-install the tire, or if you've driven on the tire at all while flat...for then it's just a piece of garbage to be recycled into a door mat or other products...or set alight in a riot.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Second, the high speed operation of a plugged tire is a bit questionable. At any even semi-legal speed I don't think it's a consideration but well over 100 mph may not make a lot of sense on a tire with a plug in it. While the plug can hold air, it does not restore the tire to the same condition as it was before the puncture. We shouldn't drive these speeds anyway unless we are on a track so I do not see this as a big deal.

Jim
Agree with most of what you say except for the criticality of the tire because of a small nail hole. I see no issue, even on the track. If it is a screw hole that tears things up, perhaps I could agree.

Also, I blieve with confidence that you can plug a RFT just as you would a non-RFT. I believe this is just a results of business models and litigation. We are getting screwed with the cost and maintenance of RFTs ( supposidley safer ) at the expense of handling ( which is not safe ). All because the general population can't monitor and maintain their tire and tire pressures.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I have plugged my tires many times before without any issues as well. I do it myself, its very easy. I even used plugged tire(dunlop star spec)on the track driving well over 100 mph . Normally i wouldnt do it but i didnt have a choice that day.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

I had a screwed runflat in one of the grooves and concluded no loss of pressure after checking it regulary. The screw stayed in for 3 weeks as I had to wait for a new set of wheels with non-runflats. Not until I turned the screw out the tire began to flatten. My BMW-dealer repaired it with a plug from the outside.
Appreciate 0