BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Question Where did my oil go?

I bought my car brand new October 2010. So far I put about 10,000 miles on it, mostly highway. I drive pretty hard most of the time and I have done a few 'spirited' drives.

Well, I get the warning yesterday for low oil, add +1 quart. I bought some Castrol 5w30 Full Synthetic and filled it up. Drove it around, parked, checked the oil again and it was right on the money. So, my question is: where did that whole quart of oil go???

My other question is whether or not an oil catch can would help this issue or at least allow the oil to go somewhere other than where I don't want it? Does anyone sell an oil catch can yet for the N55?
      06-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

My 128i and 328i burn about 1/4 quart between 7,500 mile changes so I'm not surprised your turbo requires a quart in 10k miles. Sounds like normal consumption, IMHO. So either do an interim oil change earlier than 10k, or simply add oil as necessary.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

BMW's actual specificaation for normal oil consumption is 1 quart every 1500 miles !!!! yes.. most cars never see that, but it is very common to have to top off inbetween oil services..

Your car should have an elastic band on the inner trunk panel on the left side( drivers side ) Guess what quart sized object fits in the strap

Keep driving... enjoy, life is good !!
      06-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
BMW's actual specificaation for normal oil consumption is 1 quart every 1500 miles !!!! yes.. most cars never see that, but it is very common to have to top off inbetween oil services..

Your car should have an elastic band on the inner trunk panel on the left side( drivers side ) Guess what quart sized object fits in the strap

Keep driving... enjoy, life is good !!
I figured it was normal.

It does have the elastic band... please elaborate!
      06-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
I figured it was normal.

It does have the elastic band... please elaborate!
Thats where you keep a quart of oil in the trunk without rolling around... No need to go back to store / dealer all the time.. neat and clean and simple..
      06-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

This is true..^^^^^^^^^And in my opinion... as i have owned 2 turbo cars ...andi it seems to me that the harder you drive them the more oil consumption occurs, but not alway's..But in my case my cars did not use oil ever and neither has my 1 sooo go figure..But i drive pretty mild as this is a street car and i do not race.

AND NOT TO GO OFF TOPIC...i had to ask

Quote Mr TrackRat or as James Cagney used to say " You Dirty Rat " LOL..I had to say it..
"My goal is to empower people so that they can make technically informed decisions instead of being duped by advertising hype or baseless, subjective opinions perceived as technical knowledge."
This is a good philosophy ^^^ And what is your history or background with cars to make such a statement???
      06-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
All engines consume oil in normal operation. Some consume more than others, particularly hot running tubo engines that produce more blow-by and oil vapors to be burned thru the intake. 1 qt. consumption in 2,000-5,000 miles is very normal. If you use less than this your engine has very low oil consumption. It's completely normal to need to add oil between long OCIs.
This.

I wouldn't be concerned at all, especially since you run the car hard. Every engine consumes a certain amount, some more than others. 1 qt./10K miles isn't bad. Early E39 M5's consumed quite a bit...and the back end of the car showed it. It was actually pretty disconcerting.

Personally, if you love the car, I'd be changing the oil earlier than every 15K miles like BMW recommends. That would alleviate this issue all together. And could potentially avoid other problems down the road as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
I've been consuming ~1 qt. every 2-3k miles. I think you may have seen my post on the FB group about my intake pipes starting to drip oil! OCC is a must, and I've got the AR design one on order... It'll definitely keep the oil from going where it shouldn't but it won't do anything for your oil consumption. I'm doing an oil change every 7.5k miles FWIW, and will be doing a change sometime this week (just hit 37,500 miles).

Also, you mentioned that you bought a qt. of Castrol 5W-30... did you make sure it was LL-01 spec? I'm going to ask the dealership to hand me a bottle or two of their oil, so I don't have to pay for something that should be covered under the maintenance plan.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Track Rat....Thankx for the info...I have appeciated your honesty and knowledge on these forums !!
You have tons more experience on engines and cars than i do....my specialty is in the BEER and WINE expertise...as a past owner of a retail liquor store for over 20 years and currently WINE manager of a store in NJ with the largest beer selection in the state..I love beer...The list goes on and on but do not want to bore anyone with my shit so....thankx again !!

BACK ON TOPIC.....sorry
      06-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
I've been consuming ~1 qt. every 2-3k miles. I think you may have seen my post on the FB group about my intake pipes starting to drip oil! OCC is a must, and I've got the AR design one on order... It'll definitely keep the oil from going where it shouldn't but it won't do anything for your oil consumption. I'm doing an oil change every 7.5k miles FWIW, and will be doing a change sometime this week (just hit 37,500 miles).

Also, you mentioned that you bought a qt. of Castrol 5W-30... did you make sure it was LL-01 spec? I'm going to ask the dealership to hand me a bottle or two of their oil, so I don't have to pay for something that should be covered under the maintenance plan.
Hmmm... According to Castrol's website, their 0W-30 SYNTEC is LL-01 spec, but I thought 5W-30 was required? Either way, this is what I bought:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7067053

SAE 0W–30:

Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification*. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LLA-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

SAE 5W–30:

is the most recommended grade in today’s new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1, A5, B1, B5, GM 6094M; Ford WSS M2C929-A and all requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
Track Rat....Thankx for the info...I have appeciated your honesty and knowledge on these forums !!
You have tons more experience on engines and cars than i do....my specialty is in the BEER and WINE expertise...as a past owner of a retail liquor store for over 20 years and currently WINE manager of a store in NJ with the largest beer selection in the state..I love beer...The list goes on and on but do not want to bore anyone with my shit so....thankx again !!

BACK ON TOPIC.....sorry
      06-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Castrol Syntec 5w-30 is not LL-01 approved and should not be used. The acceptable LL-01 grades for non-M BMW gas engines operated in the U.S. are: 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40 and 5w-40. The specific oils shown on the official BMW NA website meet all requirements.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx
Should I change my oil then?
      06-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

My car burned a quart before it's first oil change. Now it never needs to be topped off

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
If you've only added a qt. you should be OK but use the correct oil for any further top up or changes.
Phew... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
My car burned a quart before it's first oil change. Now it never needs to be topped off