BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
bmwisme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i conv. Sport Pkg.

Help! VRSF IC install crossroad...

Anyone install a 5" stepped intercooler, not with the OEM connectors, in their 135i N54 (E82/E88)?

So far I've installed a VRSF charge pipe and TIAL BOV. Now I'm onto the VRSF IC install. I've had a little issue with fitment as the top of the IC was hitting ambient temperature shroud - I got around that with minor trimming and a test fit seems good. But, when I got to removing the drivers side OEM lower charge pipe I can't see how to remove without destroying the one-time clamp to allow removing in two pieces. My concern is if I do that there's no turning back.

Questions:

1) Do I need to take the OEM lower charge pipe out in two pieces?

2) Did you use an aftermarket lower charge pipe (supplied with my VRSF 5" stepped IC) and if so any issues? There's so many coolant/fluid lines, support braces, etc. in that area and the OEM pipe seems to have multiple bends, and possible reduced dia., to snake it's way around everything. The supplied lower pipe by VRSF has just a single bend.

I start to wonder if this kit I have doesn't take into account the accessories and/or unique build of my car.

2008 135i N54 E88 Auto.

Thanks, I'm a little sorry I didn't go with my first consideration - a Wagner EVO 1 IC that utilizes the OEM connectors. I'd be done and out enjoying myself :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

yes I think the lower charge pipe they include is for that reason...but not sure...I would contact VRSF and ask. Here's a link to install your exact intercooler so it should explain all:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1011608
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
bmwisme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i conv. Sport Pkg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser View Post
yes I think the lower charge pipe they include is for that reason...but not sure...I would contact VRSF and ask. Here's a link to install your exact intercooler so it should explain all:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1011608
Thanks for the input. I did try to contact VRSF but so far no reply. They don't have a phone number on their website, only a contact page.

From just looking at the space where the OEM lower charge pipe is, it's just hard to tell if the VRSF lower pipe will fit - it sure doesn't look like it will but I assume I'm wrong. I just don't want to cut the OEM pipe or clamp as then I'm stuck if the VRSF pipe doesn't fit.
Appreciate 0