BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Mark16q
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i convertible AW 6MT

BMW Customer relations

It's now obvious to my why they call it customer relations, not customer service.

I've got a post in the connected / Idrive forum concerning a problem with my ipod locking up, not working on random, etc. Essentially not working properly with my ipod. I can't listen to most of my music, or it's locked up. BMW dealership has now replaced it twice, acknowledging that it doesnt work, but no better. So the dealership gave up and said contact customer relations.

Contacted them, explained the situation, and the response I got today was that it's a software issue. No explanation of what that means or any possible solutions. Just that the technical engineer said it's a software issue and there's nothing more that can be done. Mind you, I have 4 ipods that don't work, nor did the shop general manager's work either. It doesn't work, though I'd love to know what ipod to buy so it will work.

When I asked customer relations what I could do next, he responded that I could file a formal complaint (which I did) but I probably wouldn't hear back and that it might help in the future. So we're done. I asked if they would take it out and give my money back, but he said no. I asked if they knew how to make it work, and he said he isn't versed in such technical issues. So I asked to speak with the engineer...and surprise...that isn't possible sir.

So I asked to speak with another manager or supervisor. Answer of course that there is no one else to speak with. Per the technical engineer, we're done. The fact that they installed a product that doesn't work as represented is irrelevant.

The conversation continued to go in circles with the ultimate answer being that I understand your frustration sir, but there's nothing else we can do. I called back, got another relations person who informed me that his boss was the guy I spoke with the first time (Paul). He said I could send a letter to customer relations to possibly escalate, but he couldn't give me that address. To get that, I needed to speak to a supervisor. So I got another supervisor and he gave me the address, essentially telling me that they'll always side with the technical engineer. Not too encouraging.

I realize it's just an ipod, but something should work as represented. If it doesn't, take it out and give me my $'s back. I'm shocked at how they stone-walled me on this and do plan on writing that letter. And I'm not expecting to hear back. I've had better luck dealing with Verizon and AT&T issues than with these robots. Very disappointing, and though I love my car, it's enough to tell me not to buy another one of their products. Scary to think if this was a really serious issue that they couldn't figure out.

Hope others have had better luck dealing with these people. I've had more productive conversations with infants.

mg
      06-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Maybe a lawyer and lemon law suit could get things resolved. Not sure how. But maybe. Don't know the specifics on how that works. Not sure if its advertised to work but that could be added, false advertising. Don't know much about the lawyer side of things but if I were as upset as you sound I would at least check it out.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I have a 2011, and the iDrive system is total junk. My iPhone 5 doesn't work properly with it either. Frequently, when I plug it in, only the first half (or so) of my music is accessible - there's no way to access the rest. I spoke to the dealer about it, but he said I'd have to leave my car AND my phone for the day, so they could test it. I can do without my car for a day, but not my phone! Besides, I know there's no way they'll be able to figure out what's wrong - it's clearly a software problem.

But for customer service to acknowledge your problem, but give you no solution - that's just unacceptable.
      06-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Mark16q
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, to me it's unacceptable to acknowledge that something doesn't work right, but not give a resolution. The answer "it's a software issue" is b.s. and doesn't fix anything. Removing would be a fine resolution with me, but they won't do that and credit me the cost.

I doubt something like this falls under lemon law but will bring that up if need be. I'm not a lawyer either, but I do know that if something doesn't do what it's represented to do, it needs to be remedied.

So I'll be writing a letter to BMW NA today and hope logic and reasonable people will prevail. Putting up a stone wall to problems is not something I expected.

If anyone has any backdoor phone #'s to BMW would love them, as I would think that'd be a more efficient way to get things rolling.

thanks,

Mark
      07-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Mark16q
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The resolution...wrote a letter to BMW na customer relations and was called back within two days. So far so good. My rep Amanda was extremely understanding of my complaint, got all the facts from me regarding the issue and efforts taken to remedy and said she'd call back. And she did. They offered me some dollars as goodwill and I countered requesting install of the satellite radio. She submitted my idea and they accepted it. They contacted my local shop,approved the install and just got it back today.

Can't say enough good things about Amanda at BMW. But also having a hard time accepting the hoops they put me through to get satisfaction. Hope nothing else like this comes up as I got a glimpse of how they react when something is a problem and spent many hours to get it right.

Ymmv,

mg