11-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

USA driving license, test and driving in the states tips

Hi,

I am 18 now, and just graduated high school.
I will be moving to LA in august 2015, to start college there..

meanwhile during march 2015 i will pay a visit to the usa for 7 days.

this is very exciting for me as a car person, to start a short 4 year part of my life in the states.

as most of you guys are from usa, I would like to ask for some help and guidance if you guys don't mind:

1. where should i go to take my driving license theory test and actual test? is it going to be hard? a friend of mine insist i should take a course before...

2. is it the perfect timing to order a car, at march and spec it as i wish, how long does delivery take? and how many % of deposit they would like?
(I am starting to move in there around late july)

Sorry to have to take your time guys, i appreciate it a lot.

Thank You,
Best Regards,
Jason K
      11-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
1. It doesn't matter which DMV you take your test at. The biggest worry you'll have is wait in line; the test it's self is laughably easy to pass.

2. Contact @GOLFFRR If you are sticking with BMW M stuff, I'm pretty sure he can set you up with building the exact car you want and have it waiting for you as soon touch down in LA.

3. I don't think I'd be alive today if I had access to the fire power in your sig at the age of 18.

LA sucks.....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
1. It doesn't matter which DMV you take your test at. The biggest worry you'll have is wait in line; the test it's self is laughably easy to pass.

2. Contact GOLFRR If you are sticking with BMW M stuff, I'm pretty sure he can set you up with building the exact car you want and have it waiting for you as soon touch down in LA.

3. I don't think I'd be alive today if I had access to the fire power in your sig at the age of 18.

LA sucks.....
Hi,

Thank You,
a friend of mine might be exagerating but he said that many people did not pass the test without taking a course..

it was not common to spec a car here in indonesia, so i did not know the expected time to start ordering one..

Thanks
      11-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
The driving test usually consist of a quick spin around the block. The written test is rather simple too. You being accepted to a US college as a foreigner gives me the feeling that you won't have problem with the test. Go to the California DMV website and download the study guide/pamphlet/whatever it's called. I think you'll be surprised at how little there is to it. California makes far to much money from commuters to make the process of getting a license difficult. I can show you the good roads around the area once you get your vehicle sorted out.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...sh/flash_intro
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
you're 18 and you've owned 2 1Ms and an F10 M5 already!? wow.....by your age, i'd owned a 1977 Buick and a Nissan Sentra. lol.

you could probably order yourself an M2 by the time you are here.....so what are you doing with the 1M? selling it?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
The driving test usually consist of a quick spin around the block. The written test is rather simple too. You being accepted to a US college as a foreigner gives me the feeling that you won't have problem with the test. Go to the California DMV website and download the study guide/pamphlet/whatever it's called. I think you'll be surprised at how little there is to it. California makes far to much money from commuters to make the process of getting a license difficult. I can show you the good roads around the area once you get your vehicle sorted out.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...sh/flash_intro
Hi,

thanks that is amazing, I've been there several times and ohh boy,, it always makes me wonder so much what it felt like driving around those mountain twisty roads that we don't have here in indo. plus the view.

Thank You for your time sir. appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you're 18 and you've owned 2 1Ms and an F10 M5 already!? wow.....by your age, i'd owned a 1977 Buick and a Nissan Sentra. lol.

you could probably order yourself an M2 by the time you are here.....so what are you doing with the 1M? selling it?
hi, thanks!
still don't know yet, dont flame me, father bought me of course hahaha
yes, still on the process of selling it, i can only keep 1 car when i'm away.. and sorry its not the M
      11-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
Hi,

hi, thanks!
still don't know yet, dont flame me, father bought me of course hahaha
yes, still on the process of selling it, i can only keep 1 car when i'm away.. and sorry its not the M
didn't you just buy the 1M? so what are you keeping instead of the 1M in Indonesia?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
You could just bring the 1m over. It's already federalized, so importation should be pretty easy.... basically a head light change
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
didn't you just buy the 1M? so what are you keeping instead of the 1M in Indonesia?
here it is, with kw has springs and hre wheels. of course #stockisnevergoodenough
Attached Images

11-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
You could just bring the 1m over. It's already federalized, so importation should be pretty easy.... basically a head light change
RHD,
unfortunately, we can't import used cars to indonesia.. hahaha so not a chance bringing it home ~
      12-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
2. is it the perfect timing to order a car, at march and spec it as i wish, how long does delivery take? and how many % of deposit they would like?
(I am starting to move in there around late july)
Quote:
2. Contact @GOLFFRR If you are sticking with BMW M stuff, I'm pretty sure he can set you up with building the exact car you want and have it waiting for you as soon touch down in LA.
Congrats on your graduation!

I've heard only good things about GOLFFRR. He should be able to answer all your questions about how the ordering process works and the timing for everything. You might also want to check out this thread from awhile back (more good dealers):

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612952

Whatever you do, I highly recommend doing European Delivery and/or Performance Center Delivery if you have the time. That way you don't need to rely on a local dealer and you can use whomever you like best. However, since GOLFFRR is in California, that might be your best option.

If you do Performance Center Delivery, you can drive your car all the way across the United States to its new home and you can spend some time seeing this beautiful country! I already have a route figured out for you. :)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:28 AM   #12
earlmercado
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
The driving test usually consist of a quick spin around the block. The written test is rather simple too. You being accepted to a US college as a foreigner gives me the feeling that you won't have problem with the test.
I've been an international student getting driving license in the USA and I can confirm the tests both written and driving itself were too easy to my surprise. I don't know about California but I don't believe the process of getting a license is more difficult there than in Taxes.

Appreciate 0