BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Another official 3-door picture

Nice profile
Attached Images

01-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Yeah, this is "official" alright. A gorgeous photo!
The roofline is perfect with the 3-door configuration.
Great pic, Freak!

I would buy this tomorrow if it were available-
wouldn't even wait for the coupe.
:roundel: :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

"BMW has unveiled the 2007/2008 BMW 1-Series three-door hatchback. The new car goes on sale this spring, and will be offered with five engine choices in Europe.
It's not known if the three-door model will be offered in the United States, but coupe and convertible variants are expected in America in the coming years.

Technologies such as Brake Energy Regeneration, Automatic Start-Stop function, Electric Power Steering, lower rolling resistant tires, variable valve technologies, and High-Precision Direct Injection cut fuel consumption and emissions.

Model choices include the 130i model, with a 265 horsepower inline-six and a zero to 62 mph time of 6.0 seconds; the 120i with a 170 horsepower four-cylinder engine and a zero to 62 mph time of 7.7 seconds; the 118i with a 143 horsepower four-cylinder engine and a zero to 62 mph time of 8.7 seconds; the 120d with a 177 horsepower common-rail diesel engine and a zero to 62 mph time of 7.5 seconds; and the 118d with a 143 horsepower common-rail diesel engine and a zero to 62 mph time of 8.9 seconds."

Source: LeftLaneNews
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep

More Than Meets The Eye>

Engines in the new 1 Series range record economy improvements of up to 24 per cent compared to the previous model, while emissions have also been cut by up to 21 per cent. These improvements have not been to the detriment of driving pleasure. The new 1 Series is powered by a range of engines whose outputs have increased by up to 20hp with a consequential improvement in performance figures.

New fuel saving technology
Brake Energy Regeneration (iGR) makes its debut on the 1 Series. The system uses an Intelligent Alternator Control (IAC) and an Absorbent Glass Mat battery to recycle previously lost energy, in turn saving fuel. This is achieved as the IAC reduces drag on the engine by only engaging when required to charge the battery, whereas a traditional alternator is always pulling power from the engine. Additionally, the energy generated by the engine on over-run (under braking or descending a hill) was previously wasted. Now this lost energy is utilised by the IAC to charge the battery. iGR alone is responsible for a three per cent improvement in fuel economy.

The new 1 Series comes with Automatic Start-Stop function to cut fuel consumption. Standard on all manual transmission models (except 130i), the system automatically switches the engine off when the vehicle is stationary and the driver puts the car into neutral. To restart the driver only need engage the clutch again before pulling away in the normal manner. Should he not want to use the Automatic Start-Stop function it can be manually switched off.

The use of Electric Power Steering results in a 90 per cent energy saving compared to a conventional mechanical hydraulic steering system. Power assistance is now provided by an electric motor that works only when required, such as turning a corner. Other fuel saving enhancements have been made courtesy of various ancillary devices, such as the air-conditioning power supply being disconnected from the drivetrain when not in use. Even flaps behind the kidney grille improve economy, closing up for improved aerodynamic efficiency should the engine require less airflow. The feature also improves cold starting times.

Engine changes and statistics in detail
130i: World’s lightest six-cylinder production engine with VALVETRONIC and Bi-VANOS technology achieves zero to 62mph in 6.0 seconds (five-door is 6.1 seconds) and an electronically limited top speed of 155mph. Output is 265bhp while peak torque is 315Nm. Combined fuel consumption is 34.0mpg and CO2 emissions are 197g/km.The BMW 130i comes with five additional functions with its DSC+ system for enhanced convenience and driver safety: Hill Start Assistant, Brake Pre-tensioning, Brake Drying, Brake Fade Compensation and Soft Stop.

A new style of BMW 1 Series
To herald the introduction of the latest generation of engines, BMW’s designers have refreshed the interior and exterior styling of the five-door model. The 1 Series now features a larger kidney grille for improved airflow to the engine. The lower front spoiler has also been reprofiled to create a larger air intake, while the spoiler protrudes further for a more pronounced, sporting look. The headlamp cluster remains the same size but a darker cover gives a subtle, more distinguished front end.

At the rear a restyled bumper gives the impression of a wider, lower car. The rear lamp cluster now features a new arrangement of lights, but retains its original shape.

The new three-door 1 Series features the same styling cues but its side view is naturally different. The passenger doors are longer than those on the five-door model and are also frameless in the style of a coupé. Inside, customers will also be able to choose between either a four-seat or a five-seat configuration. In the four-seat arrangement rear passengers are separated by a central storage compartment and sit in more sculptured seats. As a no-cost option the five-seat layout offers the traditional bench seat standard on the five-door 1 Series. The introduction of higher quality materials and minor changes to the layout of the interior enhance customer comfort and practicality.

Optional highlights
The new 1 Series comes with MP3 and USB stick capability for the best in in-car entertainment. Customers with their favourite music loaded on an Apple iPod or a USB stick can now plug these into the car to continue their listening. Tracks are selected via steering wheel controls or the iDrive system.

The optional Adaptive Headlights that turn to follow the intended course of the car have been improved on the 1 Series. Cornering light function is added to the package as standard. This means two additional lights turn at speeds of between 22 and 40mph to further illuminate the direction of travel on a twisting road.

Source: BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

01-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I'm ready to make a deposit on a 120D.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The thought of tapering that 3-door hatch into a coupe make me salivate...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

01-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep

Now that BMW has released the first official pics, I won't be surprised to see new "leaked" info and de-cammo photos of the convertible and the coupe.
The 3-door hatch may wet the appetite for the N/A market, but since we
don't seem to be in line to get it, I think BMW will follow up with taking more of the wraps off of future models in the "1-2" series...very soon.
It just makes sense not to ignore the financial power of the North American market by introducing something we aren't scheduled to get
without the follow up of a sneak peak at what's in store for us..
Hopefully we'll soon have a pretty good idea of what roofline the coupe will have. And yeah, obviously I still think we're getting a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

The roofline of that car is no good. If want to make proper photo shop of the coupe. make the roofline the same as the cabrio with canvas top. And change the rear lights like the cabrio also. Than you have the coupe for 90 procent i quess.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Trunk lid is perfect. If I had the talent required to do a PS of that quality, the only thing I would change is to smooth out the little wow in the rear window/C-pillar. Very nice, though. Probably the most realistic interpretation to date of what we would actually see in a 1/2 coupe... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

Note how far back they've moved the B-pillar.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Trunk lid is perfect. If I had the talent required to do a PS of that quality, the only thing I would change is to smooth out the little wow in the rear window/C-pillar. Very nice, though. Probably the most realistic interpretation to date of what we would actually see in a 1/2 coupe... Thanks!
Thanks. I'm not even all that handy with PS, but white was pretty forgiving at least. I rendered this one leaving the 3-door's rear quarter window intact and I extended the rear bumper a bit. Unless you squash that rear quarter window down, you'll always end up with a slightly awkward roof line. I intentionally made the trunk profile and taillights look a little more like an E90 sedan.

I'm sure this looks nothing like like a final version, but it was fun no less. I'd buy the real version of my rendering in a heartbeat.:thumbup:
      01-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Bryan, you're too modest.

But while, we're on it, what about a roofline and rear quarter window a little more reminiscent of the red one in your signature pic? With a little more of a teardrop shape in the rear quarter, the rear roofline could be smoothed and I bet it would be on Bangle's desk before lunch hour!!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

Note how far back they've moved the B-pillar.
I think that's what contributes to the improved overall balance of this design. Moving the B-pillar rearward makes the car appear less buttoned up and upright and gives a much stronger sense of forward motion while the car is standing still.

Really cool graphic, Brookside...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

I like the 3 door version much more that the 5 door one. But still waiting for the 2er, especially if it looks anything like the one bryan@mwerks posted
Appreciate 0