BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

Thanks for all the replies folks. Those of you who pointed out the prospect of sharing the story with future family members tugged at the heart strings...

I'll wait until I can afford both and I'll keep this little animal in the family!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
I'd keep the 1M...for the memories, family connection, and being able to give it to your future child when they're old enough.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

OP, allow me to suggest a couple of reasons as to why the choice of keeping the 1M might be the smart(er) one:

Exclusive: with every Remington typewriter you can type "R8" - the 1M is that kinda exclusive that no Remington typewriter can type "1M" (as the figure "1" is missing) - the 1M was inconceivable but got born anyway
Name:  Remington_I.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  21.9 KBName:  Remington_M.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  23.8 KB

Nostalgia: the 1M might remind you, your partner (and in the future: your offspring) of sweet childhood days
Name:  SoapBoxDerbyRacer.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  30.4 KBName:  SoapBoxRacing.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  34.4 KB

Bare essentials: gear stick in the front - seats in the back
Name:  ShiftKey.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  38.8 KBName:  BackSpace.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  38.4 KB

Respect: numerous indications past and present that the 1M will well-preserve its hooligan-esque pirate image and will continue to be respected by the car enthusiasts community - the once and future king of pocket rocket cars
Name:  PirateFlag.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  15.1 KBName:  1M_Like.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  20.1 KB

Yearning: demand for the 1M will not vanish - resale prices will not plummet as they usually do
Name:  Yearning.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  23.5 KBName:  ReallyReallyWant.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  31.4 KB

Together: the 1M allows you to have fun with one, two or three beloved ones on board
Name:  Stelvio_2013.jpg
Size:  25.7 KBName:  Tintin_Snowy.jpg
Size:  28.3 KB

Good luck with your choice.
      11-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #26
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
OP, allow me to suggest a couple of reasons as to why the choice of keeping the 1M might be the smart(er) one:

Exclusive: with every Remington typewriter you can type "R8" - the 1M is that kinda exclusive that no Remington typewriter can type "1M" (as the figure "1" is missing) - the 1M was inconceivable but got born anyway
Attachment 935417Attachment 935418

Nostalgia: the 1M might remind you, your partner (and in the future: your offspring) of sweet childhood days
Attachment 935424Attachment 935425

Bare essentials: gear stick in the front - seats in the back
Attachment 935438Attachment 935437

Respect: numerous indications past and present that the 1M will well-preserve its hooligan-esque pirate image and will continue to be respected by the car enthusiasts community - the once and future king of pocket rocket cars
Attachment 935419Attachment 935420

Yearning: demand for the 1M will not vanish - resale prices will not plummet as they usually do
Attachment 935421Attachment 935422

Together: the 1M allows you to have fun with one, two or three beloved ones on board
Attachment 935413Attachment 935414

Good luck with your choice.
I like your style sir!
      11-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

I was able to track my 1M with my wife, a set of golf clubs, two suitcases, and a bunch of my wife's shoes all on board! Try cramming all that into an R8!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
Ollieb7
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M, Caterham R500, 65 VW Split

If i'm not wrong a R8 is not limited in production numbers so will not look after your pocket whilst you use it - that will keep the last 5% of smile from your face. I think though if you are to change the 1M it would have to be a 997 gen2 GT3RS - good chance that will appreciate the smile in more ways than just monetary terms...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
IKA
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
WOW. no doubt. post of the day.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #30
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

My suggestion is to get both. Get rid of the boring S5 and get some old Honda or Mitsubishi for those cold snow riddled winters in Buffalo. Oh than after you do that please can you send me some Duff's wings, Teds hotdogs and some Andersons Beef on Wick. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #31
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

You only live once do what you like
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #32
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Keep the car sir, 10 years from now you are going to regret selling it.
When you can afford another car get it.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #33
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Is this really a question? I know most people on this forum are going to say "keep the 1M" because it is a 1M forum.

I would make sure I could comfortably fit in the car for an extended period of time. Provided that caveat is met if I had the finances and opportunity to have an R8 V10 (which also hold their value VERY well) I would JUMP at it.

If you can afford a V10 R8 then you can afford to change your mind later.

Bottom line, you owe it to us gear / petrol heads who cannot afford a super car to BUY THIS CAR.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #34
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu
Is this really a question? I know most people on this forum are going to say "keep the 1M" because it is a 1M forum.

I would make sure I could comfortably fit in the car for an extended period of time. Provided that caveat is met if I had the finances and opportunity to have an R8 V10 (which also hold their value VERY well) I would JUMP at it.

If you can afford a V10 R8 then you can afford to change your mind later.

Bottom line, you owe it to us gear / petrol heads who cannot afford a super car to BUY THIS CAR.
+1

It's not a reasonable comparison.

One is a practical and awesome car with sentimental value. The other is an incredible supercar track toy.

If you can truly afford a V10 R8, you can afford to hang on to the 1M in addition.

If you can only afford to keep one, you probably shouldn't buy the R8. Not very smart to "stretch" to get an impractical track toy on credit!
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #35
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
+1

It's not a reasonable comparison.

One is a practical and awesome car with sentimental value. The other is an incredible supercar track toy.

If you can truly afford a V10 R8, you can afford to hang on to the 1M in addition.

If you can only afford to keep one, you probably shouldn't buy the R8. Not very smart to "stretch" to get an impractical track toy on credit!
Agree about the stretching... If I pick up the R8 it'll be cash. Can't quite convince myself it's a good idea to have so much $$$ tied up in play cars though!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #36
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
I would keep the 1M based on the huge sentiment that is attached to it. If it were me and I took my girlfriend for a European delivery, then got engaged on the road trip around europe in our new 1M, then later had a baby (maybe inside the 1M), then there is no sense to swap over to the R8.

The R8 on the otherhand, is a next-level machine. Don't know if you'll be able to drive it at all in Buffalo though. Ridiculously strict police on your ridiculously slow speed limited roads (even though in Canada our roads are 100 km/h or 110 km/h if you're on the transcanada highway), but our cops allow some sort of leeway. I just don't see you having a lot of "fun" in the R8 unless you could take it to the track every weekend (which judging by your dilemma of choosing a $100k car, shouldn't be an issue).

But for me, the 1M has a huge part of your life in it. I would keep it. If you really want to get the R8 and can afford it, can you not afford to have both? (But if you do end up selling the 1M. I'm literally right across the border (Niagara region ontario) keep me in mind.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlwhites View Post
Agree about the stretching... If I pick up the R8 it'll be cash. Can't quite convince myself it's a good idea to have so much $$$ tied up in play cars though!

Sounds like a couple of well timed weeks of Exoticar rentals each year would do the trick .....

http://www.luxurymotorsofrochester.com/Vehicles.html
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #38
lilsheep_turbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 V8

I think a lot of you are viewing the 1M with rose tinted spectacles. The r8 v10 is way beyond the league of our 1Ms. If you can afford it then get the r8 and you will never look back. I can't even believe you have to think about it. As soon as you fire up the v10 and let it sing. The 1M will be a distant memory.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #39
trevoro
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

I only personally own a 1M, but in the family garage there is a 2010 V10 R8 (that replaced a 2009 Gallardo, that replaced a 2009 V8 R8, that replaced a 2011 S5, that replaced a 2010 GT500), and a 2014 Cayman S.

lilsheep_turbo is right that the R8 is in a league above, but that doesn't make it more fun than the 1M. The Cayman S is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and is the best handling and most predictable car I've ever driven, but that doesn't make it more fun than the 1M. The R8 is the perfect balance of all the things I love about cars, but that doesn't make it more fun than the 1M.

I do occasionally pick up the keys to the R8 over the 1M's, but the 1M is what I want to drive home at the end of the day. As many others have said, the smiles it gives just cant be explained by the parts list. Driving it is a greater experience than the numbers lead you to believe.

I was thinking about selling it at one point. On the darkest day of that that week-long emotional illness, my wife happened to drive it home. She beat me back to my senses.

Even she gets it.

There are a lot of special cars out there, and I've been lucky enough to experience a few of them. This car is as special as any I've driven, and it costs half of most others capable of making me smile as big.

I'll keep mine as long as I remember that.

Unfortunately, I have a short, short memory.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #40
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoro View Post
I only personally own a 1M, but in the family garage there is a 2010 V10 R8 (that replaced a 2009 Gallardo, that replaced a 2009 V8 R8, that replaced a 2011 S5, that replaced a 2010 GT500), and a 2014 Cayman S.

lilsheep_turbo is right that the R8 is in a league above, but that doesn't make it more fun than the 1M. The Cayman S is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and is the best handling and most predictable car I've ever driven, but that doesn't make it more fun than the 1M. The R8 is the perfect balance of all the things I love about cars, but that doesn't make it more fun than the 1M.

I do occasionally pick up the keys to the R8 over the 1M's, but the 1M is what I want to drive home at the end of the day. As many others have said, the smiles it gives just cant be explained by the parts list. Driving it is a greater experience than the numbers lead you to believe.

I was thinking about selling it at one point. On the darkest day of that that week-long emotional illness, my wife happened to drive it home. She beat me back to my senses.

Even she gets it.

There are a lot of special cars out there, and I've been lucky enough to experience a few of them. This car is as special as any I've driven, and it costs half of most others capable of making me smile as big.

I'll keep mine as long as I remember that.

Unfortunately, I have a short, short memory.

And welcome here.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #41
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Seriously, you really should consider renting an R8 for a couple of days before letting go of the 1M. It might be the best $1000 you ever spend.

I sold my 1M thinking I might be able to get one later. Most are fully loaded, which I don't want and so many of the remaining ones were modified which I also don't want. I'm looking at the possibility of an M2 or M235i to fill the void but 235i will come standard with active suspension which is puffery as far as I'm concerned and it appears that it will also have fake cabin sound which seems standard now and launch control which again is more fakery for me. The 1M is truly special. It's not the fastest, most stable platform but it has the "respect the torque or I will bite you" factor and it is the last of its breed ONLY offered in real MT gearbox, ONLY offered without sunroof, ONLY offered with manly fixed suspension. There will not be another car like this from BMW EVER again! Google will be making the next generation of BMWs that drive, launch themselves, stop themselves and have fake sounds. I am not Jules Verne but I can see BMW developing a heads up display that makes you think you are drifting around Imola while sitting in traffic. So take it from someone that has let go of a 1M.... rent an R8 for a couple of days before you let go of it!

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Seriously, you really should consider renting an R8 for a couple of days before letting go of the 1M. It might be the best $1000 you ever spend.

I sold my 1M thinking I might be able to get one later. Most are fully loaded, which I don't want and so many of the remaining ones were modified which I also don't want. I'm looking at the possibility of an M2 or M235i to fill the void but 235i will come standard with active suspension which is puffery as far as I'm concerned and it appears that it will also have fake cabin sound which seems standard now and launch control which again is more fakery for me. The 1M is truly special. It's not the fastest, most stable platform but it has the "respect the torque or I will bite you" factor and it is the last of its breed ONLY offered in real MT gearbox, ONLY offered without sunroof, ONLY offered with manly fixed suspension. There will not be another car like this from BMW EVER again! Google will be making the next generation of BMWs that drive, launch themselves, stop themselves and have fake sounds. I am not Jules Verne but I can see BMW developing a heads up display that makes you think you are drifting around Imola while sitting in traffic. So take it from someone that has let go of a 1M.... rent an R8 for a couple of days before you let go of it!

Good luck.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

And welcome here.

Cheers
Robin
+1. Great post, great input.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #44
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I've driven an R8 V10 Spyder and it is just mind blowing. My modded 135i is just as fast if not faster 0-100kph than the R8 V10 but there's something about that V10 which is just brutal but at the same time incredibly easy to drive. I can't say I've ever had a bigger smile than when I was driving the R8.

If money was no object I know what I would choose. Take the R8 V10.