BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

MHD stage 2 questions (N54)

So I have just put the VRSF catless downpipes on my N54, the only other mod I have is a BMS DCI.
I'm looking at the available MHD maps and stage 2 recommends upgraded DP's but no mention of anything else.

Questions-
Do I really need to upgrade the FMIC, it's a daily driver, I won't be looking for long periods of time in boost so will increased IAT's even be an issue for me ?
I live in New England so its cold in the winter but can get pretty hot and humid in the summer.

I am currently running the stock charge pipe. I've never had a car with a BOV and I think the "whoosh" would end up driving me crazy. What are my options for either a very quiet BOV or a diverter setup that would hold increased boost. Some say the stock diverter valves should be able to hold boost on a stage 2 map....looking for experience here, opinions etc.

What about boost creep - is that an issue for N54's and how can I detect it, monitor it, fix it ?

Thanks in advance....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
xDABSx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedona 135i,JB e92 335xi

With downpipes you will use the Stage 2map. If you upgrade your intercooler then you would use the stage 2+ map.

Stock diverter valves will leak.Upgrade the charge pipe and just get the upgraded diverter valves with the pipe if you dont like the sound of a bov. Evolution Raceworks sells a very nice charge pipe. If you are looking for something cheaper there are more than a few pipes that go for under $200.

Just start with that because I am sure the misfires will start shortly after lol
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDABSx View Post
With downpipes you will use the Stage 2map. If you upgrade your intercooler then you would use the stage 2+ map.

Stock diverter valves will leak.Upgrade the charge pipe and just get the upgraded diverter valves with the pipe if you dont like the sound of a bov. Evolution Raceworks sells a very nice charge pipe. If you are looking for something cheaper there are more than a few pipes that go for under $200.

Just start with that because I am sure the misfires will start shortly after lol
Yeah, the problem is that the diverter valve set up is $500+
Are there quieter BOV set ups or is there a way to quiten a BOV ? I saw someone posted that they used a hose from the BOV down into a wheel well as a type of exhaust which worked quite well - I just want to avoid the "Psschhh" every time I let off the gas.

As for misfires, do you mean as a result of tuning to stage 2 or as a result of the BOV or diverter set up ?
I just replaced the plugs, should I expect to have to replace the coils and/or injectors as well ?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
xDABSx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
Yeah, the problem is that the diverter valve set up is $500+
Are there quieter BOV set ups or is there a way to quiten a BOV ? I saw someone posted that they used a hose from the BOV down into a wheel well as a type of exhaust which worked quite well - I just want to avoid the "Psschhh" every time I let off the gas.

As for misfires, do you mean as a result of tuning to stage 2 or as a result of the BOV or diverter set up ?
I just replaced the plugs, should I expect to have to replace the coils and/or injectors as well ?

I just purchased a brand new VRSF chargepipe with HKS bov for $320 off eBay after coupon. You could recirculate the HKS bov and the noise would be minimal. There are definitely cheaper option out there if you are looking to spend less.

It is common for misfires to start when raising the boost so yes I would expect to have to replace coils and possibly injectors.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
xDABSx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here is somebody selling a CP with diverter valves for $350

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480592
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

My stock diverters held 22psi with no problems. Never tested higher.

If you want to know what parts you NEED to upgrade all it take is a few datalogs.
Do you need a higher output Low Pressure Fuel Pump (LPFP, in the fuel tank); monitor fuel pressure
Do you need a better intercooler; log Intake Air Tempreture
Do you need Downpipes; datalog Wastegate Duty Cycle (WGDC)
Do you need an intake of fancy air filter; datalog WGDC
Do you have a boost leak; datalog Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT bank1, bank 2)
etc.

It really does not make sense to replace parts you don't NEED to. Though this has been covered many times over it's often forgotten of overlooked, the recommended parts for Stage 1, 2, 3, etc are due to the tune setting possibly overcoming the stock sensor limits. For instance, adding boost may cause the WGDC to limit out, then a code will be thrown for overboost and the car will go into limp mode. On some cars, in better condition, this may not happen. On cars with higher miles or in poorer condition it will happen.
Asking for parts upgrades is just covering bases to ensure there are no problems.

You're best bet is to judge what you want out of the car and what your intent for it is. If you do racing, then it's pretty obvious you'll want to upgrade parts. If you're just in it to spend money for scene points, I don't know what to tell you, maybe just add more stickers?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here is somebody selling a CP with diverter valves for $350

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480592
Dammit.....just bought a Tial knockoff with CP from Amazon for $200.
That said, I messaged with someone who was a verified buyer and he said he was 2+ tuned and had no issues with fitment or boost leaks so....I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for looking out for me though !
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
My stock diverters held 22psi with no problems. Never tested higher.

If you want to know what parts you NEED to upgrade all it take is a few datalogs.
Do you need a higher output Low Pressure Fuel Pump (LPFP, in the fuel tank); monitor fuel pressure
Do you need a better intercooler; log Intake Air Tempreture
Do you need Downpipes; datalog Wastegate Duty Cycle (WGDC)
Do you need an intake of fancy air filter; datalog WGDC
Do you have a boost leak; datalog Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT bank1, bank 2)
etc.

It really does not make sense to replace parts you don't NEED to. Though this has been covered many times over it's often forgotten of overlooked, the recommended parts for Stage 1, 2, 3, etc are due to the tune setting possibly overcoming the stock sensor limits. For instance, adding boost may cause the WGDC to limit out, then a code will be thrown for overboost and the car will go into limp mode. On some cars, in better condition, this may not happen. On cars with higher miles or in poorer condition it will happen.
Asking for parts upgrades is just covering bases to ensure there are no problems.

You're best bet is to judge what you want out of the car and what your intent for it is. If you do racing, then it's pretty obvious you'll want to upgrade parts. If you're just in it to spend money for scene points, I don't know what to tell you, maybe just add more stickers?
Valid points :-)
No, I'm not in it for scene points, more the opposite really. I'm a 47 year old with a mid life crisis...lol.
I came from the Mazdaspeed scene, had a speed6 which "required" certain upgrades to avoid others causing major problems. For example, just replacing the downpipe would cause the fuel pump to be overwhelmed, run lean and vent the block in cylinder 3. Seems that this platform is less vulnerable to issues like that, I'm just trying to cover my bases knowing that all the parts I add will in some way benefit the car, if not actually necessary.
The FMIC is a case in point I guess. I don't think I actually need one for stage 2, I'm not tracking the car, unlikely I will have sustained periods of boost where IAT's become an issue, but if one comes along at the right price I'll buy it since a) it does no harm to and b) I can always sell it again later if I stock the car out to trade it etc.

Now....about those stickers ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You don't need an FMIC for stage 2 and arguably you don't even need it for stage 2+. TIAL is a very quite BOV. If I were you and I had about 1500-2k to spend I'd go ARM motorsports and the the downpipes, intercooler, CP and BOV at once
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
You don't need an FMIC for stage 2 and arguably you don't even need it for stage 2+. TIAL is a very quite BOV. If I were you and I had about 1500-2k to spend I'd go ARM motorsports and the the downpipes, intercooler, CP and BOV at once
I already have the VRSF downpipes on the car....did that last weekend. I looked at all the ARM motorsports items, still have the intercooler in my shopping cart on their website as it looks like a solid deal based on reviews I've read. As for the CP and BOV, I went with the knock off from Amazon to see how it performs. I had contacted a verified buyer and he uses it on a stage 2+ tune without issue - I don't need the "name brand" if the imitation will perform, and continue to perform for 1/3 the cost. As I said, I'm not a "scene" guy, just looking to have some fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
nieves.e82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Data Log

Just installed my catless downpipes and changed to the MHD stage 2+ map, can anyone give me feedback on my data log? https://datazap.me/u/cordell/3rd-gea...a=2-4-14-15-20
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieves.e82 View Post
Just installed my catless downpipes and changed to the MHD stage 2+ map, can anyone give me feedback on my data log? https://datazap.me/u/cordell/3rd-gea...a=2-4-14-15-20
Seems ok, what was your concern?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
Rabey
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi

Quote:

Would I be good running stage 2 I have stock dps but charge pipe and dual intakes running stage 1 right now would I even be good running stage 1+? And no fmic
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #14
RonnieRobotPants
Someone Else
Australia
Rep
Drives: Highway Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabey View Post
Would I be good running stage 2 I have stock dps but charge pipe and dual intakes running stage 1 right now would I even be good running stage 1+? And no fmic
I was running MHD Stage 1+ on all stock running gear for about 3 months with no problems. However i don't think i did a single WOT pull at all, just the occasional squirt here and there to stretch the neck muscles.

I upgraded to stage 2 last week with new DPs, CP+BOV and DCI. I asked my mechanic about 2+ and IF the FMIC is needed for that level of tune and he told me "you'll just run too hot and fuck stuff up if you don't"...but in saying that, this is all anecdotal evidence and I'm not a mechanic...just a pretty face
      02-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Fmic is recommended for stage one+ so probably should be done for stage 2
Appreciate 0