BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Charge Pipe Blew - O Ring missing

I am almost at the 40k mile mark and my charge pipe just blew on the way home from work. My drive symptoms are almost like someone occasionally steps on the brake. The car seemed to drive okay most of the way home, however, it would occasionally jerk hard like someone was pushing on the brake; almost like the car wanted to die or lock up. The feeling was very similar to a very bad miss.

When I got home and checked it out, the O ring is missing. Is this normal for the car to lurch like it's missing when the charge pipe is blown or did my o ring get sucked into the throttle body?

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you Jesus! I kept looking around and finally found the o ring underneath the steering column, sitting on top of the underbelly plastics. I took a picture of it, but I don't know where to host them anymore. If (when) you blow your charge pipe, look there first.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Glad you found it. Check the CP and make sure all plastic is accounted for as well
      06-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Glad you found it. Check the CP and make sure all plastic is accounted for as well
It blew the two chunks out of the top edge of the pipe. Most of the blown charge pipes look identical to this when they blow. It looks related to the slot cut on the top edge of the pipe for the C clamp creates weak points in the charge pipe.

I haven't found those two missing plastic chunks.

Just ordered an ER charge pipe from Mike at https://www.x-ph.com/ . I hope it gets here soon! I'm down without it...

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
Picanha
30FF
Rep
Drives: M3

For anyone else that may run into this problem, the o-ring that comes with your Mann HU816X oil filter (for the oil filter housing cap) will also fit the charge pipe to throttle body connection.
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

besides the stubby antenna for my vert.. the cp was the first upgrade.. blew it off once.. blew a hole it in the second time ;(
not gonna happen a third
      06-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
I popped my charge pipe earlier this year, right where it meets the intercooler. Replaced under warranty with the original BMW replacement. Now that I'm out of factory coverage, I'll likely go for a strengthened unit if it blows again.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
omgshinoda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 135i, '13 M3

haha when my stock chargepipe partially blew off, i also freaked out b/c the o-ring was missing. with some looking around with flashlight, found it in the engine bay as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:58 AM   #9
M135ier
Austria
Rep
Drives: M135i

I’ve also just found an O-Ring randomly in my M135i’s engine bay. Charge Pipe looks in good nick and the C Clip is still in place and looks in good condition. Car’s running good from what I can tell. Only owned it a few weeks.. strange smell from the exhaust at times but other than that it seems good to me. Any ideas of where else the O-Ring could’ve come from? Was sitting up in the top right of the engine bay and I haven’t noticed it there before but it may welll have been there the whole time. Something unnerving about random shit just sitting in engine bays. Good news is that it looks like it’s brand new. Flip side of that is that maybe it’s meant to be somewhere and whoever was fitting it didn’t see it come off before refitting... chargepipe is the biggest culprit from what I can see. Anyone know what symptoms would show if it was missing from the throttle bodies connection?

Last edited by M135ier; 10-13-2018 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Glad you found it for peace of mind. Thinking it might have been ingested would keep me up at night.
Last week mine did the kaboom and the first thing I looked for was the O-ring, found it where it belonged.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

That's funny. When mine blew, I found the O ring and C clip sitting on top of one another only about six inches away from their original location. I was amazed, because I drove probably another mile after it blew (I was that close to my dealership, so I limped there in case it was something OTHER than CP).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
M135ier
Austria
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo17 View Post
I’ve also just found an O-Ring randomly in my M135i’s engine bay. Charge Pipe looks in good nick and the C Clip is still in place and looks in good condition. Car’s running good from what I can tell. Only owned it a few weeks.. strange smell from the exhaust at times but other than that it seems good to me. Any ideas of where else the O-Ring could’ve come from? Was sitting up in the top right of the engine bay and I haven’t noticed it there before but it may welll have been there the whole time. Something unnerving about random shit just sitting in engine bays. Good news is that it looks like it’s brand new. Flip side of that is that maybe it’s meant to be somewhere and whoever was fitting it didn’t see it come off before refitting... chargepipe is the biggest culprit from what I can see. Anyone know what symptoms would show if it was missing from the throttle bodies connection?
Hmm. Came across this on..

https://www.topgear.com.ph/columns/m...l-a20-20170418

You may also want to have all the hoses checked for air leaks. It can be on any of the vacuum hoses or between the airflow meter/sensor and the throttle body. You will want to have the vacuum hose diagram on hand for this. The leak can also be in any of the gaskets that seal the many interconnected components of the intake system. Either throttle body to the intake manifold, intake manifold to the cylinder head, or possibly even the gasket of the airflow meter itself.

An air leak can cause the engine tuning to be off as there is more air getting into the engine than what the ECU expects. This results in a lean (more air than fuel) condition wherein the ECU will try to compensate for by adding more fuel which would explain why your fuel economy is worse now, and possibly the foul odor. Be aware that depending on where the leak is located it can either disappear or appear when the engine reaches operating temperatures; this makes air leaks one of most time-consuming problems to troubleshoot.
Appreciate 0