BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Nothing but Short Trips

Curious as to the gruupe's feelings on this. I live in a location where I almost never need to drive more than five miles. Once in a while on a weekend, but not often. I actually thought about not buying my N55 E82 for this reason (all I need is a beach beater, really, but I love these cars and I love the BMW community, and so here I am). All these short trips are going to *kill* this motor. I try to mitigate this a bit by driving in a shorter gear than I might otherwise (i.e., cruising at 30mph in 2nd gear), but I'm not sure that even makes sense.

I'm going to have to find time now and then to let her out to run, I know that... but I'm wondering if there are any other strategies/thoughts for dealing with this?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I wouldn't worry about it. I would change my oil at least once a year regardless of mileage but otherwise I don't think you will see issues. I like to let my e88 run a bit occasionally and drive it to work once or twice a week involving over 50 miles round trip. But it does short trips too. No issues.
      12-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I can assure you these cars are made for far more robust activity than short trips.....don't worry about....do the maintenance....and enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

How long does it take you to drive that five miles ?

Lots of short trips don't allow the engine to fully heat up and burn off the fuels that gets into the oil. Over time this is what will damage your engine. One good thing is a modern engine heats up quite fast. But still I would be changing your engine oil more than once a year. Maybe change your oil once every two months.

IF you could drive the car for say 30 minutes once a week or so... that would really help burn off the water and fuel that gets into the oil. That would be better for the engine in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Take the long way to work and enjoy it more.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

just let her warm up for 2 min if she has been sitting for a few days and just buy a bettery tender.
Also.....grag two socks and that cat litterl crystals that absorb water.
Pour a good ammount of the crystals into one sock then place that sock into another sock so that you have something that looks like a sausage. But a sausage filled with water abrobing crystals. Stick said bag under your seat so that when you are not driving the humidity in the car is keept at a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
just let her warm up for 2 min if she has been sitting for a few days and just buy a bettery tender.
Also.....grag two socks and that cat litterl crystals that absorb water.
Pour a good ammount of the crystals into one sock then place that sock into another sock so that you have something that looks like a sausage. But a sausage filled with water abrobing crystals. Stick said bag under your seat so that when you are not driving the humidity in the car is keept at a minimum.
I live in Florida, no such thing here as low humidity That is a great suggestion, though. Car gets driven every day, just not far unless/until I make an effort to let her run a bit (I work out of a home office, everything I need is nearby).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

I'm also a low mileage owner, ride my bike primarily. My commute is less than 5 miles as well. My E46 was 11 years old with 50k miles on it when I got my 135i. She ran like a top, never had a problem - I changed the oil when I changed the oil in my other car just because it was convenient.

My last bike was 10 years old, had 17k miles, and ran like a top as well. Changed the oil once a year.

My 135i is almost 3.5 years old. I just broke 10k miles. I change my oil once a year. So far (knock wood) it runs fine.

My standby generator has a 990cc V-twin, runs on 5W-30 synthetic. It sits in the elements and self-exercises once a week for 12 minutes. I change the oil once a year. It's 12 years old and runs fine.

My new bike will see the same level of low-mileage abuse, and I will change the oil once a year.

My fleet is a testament to low mileage care. I've never had an engine issue relating to oil fouling. Perhaps if I kept the vehicle for 30 or 40 years to accumulate enough miles then perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Encouraging stuff... although my bike has pedals (5K/yr) and uses very little oil (I'm Sicilian and make plenty of my own). Funny to think about, but from my current digs I may actually put more miles on my road bike (exercise) than I do on my car.

I'll be running Amsoil in this thing, hoping that helps...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Curious as to the gruupe's feelings on this. I live in a location where I almost never need to drive more than five miles. Once in a while on a weekend, but not often. I actually thought about not buying my N55 E82 for this reason (all I need is a beach beater, really, but I love these cars and I love the BMW community, and so here I am). All these short trips are going to *kill* this motor. I try to mitigate this a bit by driving in a shorter gear than I might otherwise (i.e., cruising at 30mph in 2nd gear), but I'm not sure that even makes sense.

I'm going to have to find time now and then to let her out to run, I know that... but I'm wondering if there are any other strategies/thoughts for dealing with this?
I owned an E36 as a daily driver for 18 years and the majority of the drives were five miles to work and back and never had any engine issues.

I might've kept it as my daily driver, but I couldn't justify having two cars sitting in my garage.
      12-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Encouraging stuff... although my bike has pedals (5K/yr) and uses very little oil (I'm Sicilian and make plenty of my own). Funny to think about, but from my current digs I may actually put more miles on my road bike (exercise) than I do on my car.

I'll be running Amsoil in this thing, hoping that helps...
I put far more mileage on my road bikes than I do my 1. My car sits there looking pretty for days at a time without me getting in it. I give it a run out every now and then but thats simply down to the golf club or a bit of shopping or just for the sheer hell and enjoyment of it but it wont do more than 3k a year .

Im not worried about killing it...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi1 View Post
I put far more mileage on my road bikes than I do my 1. My car sits there looking pretty for days at a time without me getting in it. I give it a run out every now and then but thats simply down to the golf club or a bit of shopping or just for the sheer hell and enjoyment of it but it wont do more than 3k a year .

Im not worried about killing it...
Seems I'm not the only one, somehow that makes me feel a bit less silly for dropping (what is, to me) decent cash on something I'll not use as much as I feel like I should. But it's good to be *here*. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I was told by the shop foreman at my dealership that to keep our engines in the best condition we need to drive aggressive. A the dealership a initial inspection is to pop off the oil cap and check if you have some milkshake looking film around the edges. If so, the car needs to be driven harder. This could be a N54 thing though. Still letting the car warm up is always a good practice especially with direct injection.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Take the long way to work and enjoy it more.
+1

Last winter I added an extra 10 miles to my 5 mile commute. Lots of twisty roads, and the oil temp moves off of zero. Come spring, I realized I really enjoyed the extra bit of time with the car and continued the practice throughout the summer.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Never good for to repeatedly drive a car without getting oil temps up
      12-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Warming up engines is totally unnecessary with modern cars. They quickly reach operating temperature especially ones with a turbo. Also warm ups are a source of air pollution.

There are lots of garage queens around some of them decades old and many in excellent condition. What wears cars out just like people is going out everyday to face the rat race. If you keep a vehicle clean and dry in a garage, it could last nearly forever.

If you are worried about putting miles on your vehicle, set up your service appointments in another state or city.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSG View Post
Warming up engines is totally unnecessary with modern cars. They quickly reach operating temperature especially ones with a turbo. Also warm ups are a source of air pollution.

There are lots of garage queens around some of them decades old and many in excellent condition. What wears cars out just like people is going out everyday to face the rat race. If you keep a vehicle clean and dry in a garage, it could last nearly forever.

If you are worried about putting miles on your vehicle, set up your service appointments in another state or city.
That is not what he was referring to. Not a good idea to let the car sit there idleing, will never warm up fully that way. Start it, give it enough time for the oil pressure to come up and drive off.

You need to get the oil up to operating temp though to burn off the water and fuel that are in the oil. Gas and water make very poor engine lubricants.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Warming up or driving in a shorter gear is the same thing. He doesn't want to tax the engine until it is at operating temperature. You can drive directly off after starting the car. It won't hurt the engine.

The only way any significant amount of gas could get in the oil is with a stuck injector. An engine with good rings and cylinder wall necessary for good fuel economy won't permit any gas to escape. Also direct injection precisely meters the amount of fuel for complete combustion.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

On cold start, there is always some fuel that makes it into the oil. Every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #20
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
On cold start, there is always some fuel that makes it into the oil. Every time.
With DFI and the ability to manipulate that itty-bitty cloud, I gotta think this is much less of a problem than with previous fueling technologies.

Carbon build-up on the other hand...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #21
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Does not matter how accurate the fueling is, what matters is how well the piston/rings seal against the cylinders. Until the engine warms up, there will always be some leakage past the rings.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Does water and fuel that sneaks into the oil at startup all burn off once the oil hits operating temp? So let's say some accumulates over the course of a short-trips week... but then I get in one longer drive for PM... am I then back to normal? Or is there a reason to change my oil more often with all these short trips? Not trying to be cheap, just finding this interesting (stuff I never really thought about).
Appreciate 0