BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

What's the longest you went after front M3 bits before an alignment?

Holy $h!t I thought I was going to die!!!

So I just had the front M3 control arms put in and was fully aware that I would need an alignment afterwards but my scheduling didn't work out. Now I have to wait until next Saturday for the alignment. I really don't feel good about this but don't really have a choice. I don't care if all of these LA pricks are honking at me for driving like a granny! It literally feels like there is a ghost in my car that I'm constantly fighting over the steering wheel with.

So I have to survive a weeks worth of a 2 mile drive to work possibly in the rain for a day or two. Then on Saturday I have to drive 35 miles to Offset Moterwerks to get the alignment. Should I go see if I can find an el cheapo alignment shop tomorrow just to redo the alignment properly on Saturday or should I just granny drive it til then?

Damn, if anyone asked to do this I would tell them to schedule the alignment the same day. I mean I was expecting some change and even some difficulty but this is more extreme than I had imagined lol. It's kind of comical how this thing drives right now.

What's the longest you guys have gone without an alignment after doing the front control arms?

BTW: I got a recommendation for a guy to do the install along with the BMW performance suspension and he was amazing. Located in the greater LA area in the valley. If you need anything done to your car regardless of make and you're in the area pm me so I can get you in touch with him. He's pretty much going to handle all my mods from now until infinity.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would NOT drive your car like this. Your just asking to have an accident. Find another way to get to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 01:58 AM   #3
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would NOT drive your car like this. Your just asking to have an accident. Find another way to get to work.
Yeah good thing it's only a couple of miles to work. Might just uber in for $10/day until Saturday.

It's amazing what a little toe can do. If you stand outside the car and have a quick look everything looks fine. I've never done a mod like this so I have no experience in its effects until now. I never imagined that little bit of toe would be so dramatic. So basically whichever wheel gets the most weight determines the direction the car is wanting to pull? And weight is shifting all the time huh.

Last edited by methodz; 02-22-2015 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:25 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
Yeah good thing it's only a couple of miles to work. Might just uber in for $10/day until Saturday.

It's amazing what a little toe can do. If you stand outside the car and have a quick look everything looks fine. I've never done a mod like this so I have no experience in its effects until now. I never imagined that little bit of toe would be so dramatic. So basically whichever wheel gets the most weight determines the direction the car is wanting to pull? And weight is shifting all the time huh.
And just think of what your poor tires are going thru! You could burn thru some rubber quite fast with your toe being so far out of spec(s).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I'm looking for an alignment shop right now but no one is open on Sundays
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
Yeah I'm looking for an alignment shop right now but no one is open on Sundays
Definitely get a proper alignment, but in the mean time you can make the car a bit safer by adjusting your toe links. Adding the M3 control links has caused a massive toe-out condition. Adjusting the toe links equally on each side will definitely help. Loosen the clamping bolt on the bottom of the toe link and turn the toe link 540 degrees (1.5 turns) in the direction that pulls the front of the tire toward the center of the car. Do this on each side and don't forget to tighten the clamping bolt when done. It helps to mark the toe link with a Sharpie to keep track of how much it has been adjusted (trust me, you will loose track if you don't mark your progress). As long as you make equal adjustment on each side, your steering wheel will be straight. Chances are you won't make equal adjustments so the steering wheel will be tilted to one side or the other. Don't worry... the car will drive straight. Just make sure the shop levels your steering wheel before performing the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
amsnow440
Olmec's Temple Guard
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT, 05 Legacy GT

This is going to sound ghetto as hell but I actually did the "string and jackstands" method and it worked beautifully. It was only for the drive to the shop. This will get you close enough so you don't kill anybody.

When I got the car aligned it ended up being perfect on one side and 1/32" off on the other.

Also I suggest marking the toe adjustment with a sharpie to keep track of the number of turns.

Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Google DIY alignment, you can do this yourself in your garage and get very good results (I know people who never take their car to a shop for an alignment)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Got an alignment today at discount tire lol! They were the only ones open on a Sunday in my area. Car pulls to the right a little but it will at least get me to Offset on Saturday where I'll probably have them realign. Damn that was scary driving to discount tire in the rain!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

About ten minutes, That's the time it took to get up on the alignment machine after finishing the mechanical work.
Appreciate 0